How do you feel about buying preloved or vintage handbags?

I have biught preloved bags both from ebay or consignment stores, either because they would have been pretty expensive if I had bought them new or beause they have been discontinued.
But there is another reason too.
The fact they have been carried makes me less scared of wearing them.
I remember a very expensive bag I had bought from a boutique and which remained in its box for years before I sold it. I had never worn it. I was terrified at the idea of scratching it or ruining it with colour transfer.....
Lesson learnt from that experience.....

This. My HG bag was the Hermes Kelly. Saved up until I had enough to buy one new from the boutique, then waited for a year for one to come in in the color I wanted. When it did, I balked. I simply couldn't spend that much on a bag. I knew I would be terrified to use it.

Fast forward several months, to when I bought a 20-year-old vintage Kelly in wonderful condition. It still cost a pretty penny, but significantly less than a new one, and I'm finding that although I had never wanted a "used," bag, I kind of love the idea that the bag has a history. I'm not nearly as afraid to use it. And as an added bonus, no new animal had to die to make my new-to-me bag!

Ladies, thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences on/with buying vintage/preloved. You all gave me a lot reasons to take the plunge ánd some very good tips, so i'm going to do some serious browsing ;)
Thanks again!

I only buy pre-loved from Reebonz Vintage. Their authentication guarantee card gives me peace of mind because that means they stand behind the items they are selling. Sometimes I buy preloved just to try if I will like the bag and it will be practical for my use. This saves me the hassle of regretting to buy a bag I will not use and pay full price. For instance, I bought my LV Delightful MM at a second-hand luxury store that also has reliable authentication services just to try it out. Now, I know it's a wonderful bag even after using for many years (original owner's use + mine) and have decided I would like to get it brand new at my local boutique as it is the bag I know would be value for my money and it will really get the attention it needs. I don't collect, I buy for my practical use.

I have biught preloved bags both from ebay or consignment stores, either because they would have been pretty expensive if I had bought them new or beause they have been discontinued.
But there is another reason too.
The fact they have been carried makes me less scared of wearing them.
I remember a very expensive bag I had bought from a boutique and which remained in its box for years before I sold it. I had never worn it. I was terrified at the idea of scratching it or ruining it with colour transfer.....
Lesson learnt from that experience.....

You are so right about this. Maybe especially because I live in a very rainy place and I have an accident prone daughter I am very worried about carrying pristine bags. I have bought many very expensive bags that have just sat in my closet unused until I sold them off. I realized after a while that I was much more comfortable carrying bags that had already been used because I wasn't terrified about putting that first scratch or stain on it. Mental? Maybe. But I knew I wasn't the only one. :smile:

I don't mind buying pre-loved handbag. I actually have one pre-loved handbag in collection and that is my LV Montsouris Backpack. I bought because I know that LV discontinued the production of this bag so I go ahead and bought it on ebay. Well of course before I hit that buy button I have it authenticated first just to make sure.

I have bought many bags in the last 6 years. My love affair with bags started in '08. I've only bought one bag from the store and it was at full price. It was my Le Pliage from Bloomingdales. All my bags came from Ebay and I have one from Etsy. I can't bring myself to buy something at full retail price, be it clothes or bags. With clothes it's easier, there's always the sale rack, outlet stores and thrift stores. Authencity has never been an issue, well except from my most recent purchase. It was and old style of Coach bag. I doubted it's authenticity because it is mint condition and it felt different from my other used vintage Coach. As it turned out, I just lucked out on my purchase.

Buying preloved bags is amazing not only you're paying way less than the retail price, the bag is already broken in. You don't have to baby it. It also depends on what brand you want. The bags I bought are not the popular LV or Balenciaga so I never had to worry whether it's fake or not. Most if not all of my Ebay purchases are in mint condition.

My suggestion is to be patient when looking at Ebay. You might have to pass up on some listings on hopes of better deals or better bag condition.

I usually never pay full price for anything I buy, so preloved is a good way for me to make great deals on bags, among other things. I think I own 4 leather bags that I bought new and only 1 of them was bought for full price. I don't need the "boutique experience" - I can see how, for some people, it's one of those things that just has to come with a purchase, but for me, the bag is The Thing. Regardless of the place I bought it from or if someone's used it before. If the bags is used by someone else I think it just adds to the bag's charm; the stories it could tell!

I got my Mulberry Antony for 280 € (pristine on eBay), Tillie for 670€ (-40% on Mulberry.com sale) etc etc. The list goes on. My latest find is a pair of pristine Ray-Ban aviators for 65€. With the salaries in Finland being what they are (as in, lousy), taxing being what it is (very high) and the prices being what they are (so ridiculously high it's not even funny anymore), one's gotta be smart about what to buy and how much to pay. If not counting highest-end designer, a bag loses a lot of its value the moment you take it out of the store; why not let someone else take the punch?

For the premiere designers, my budget right now only allows me to shop pre-loved and I'm totally OK with that. Even the contemporary designers that I could afford the full price for I just can't bring myself to pay it so I'll wait for a sale or buy it pre-loved at a steal. The bonus is that I don't have to feel bad that I'll be giving the bag its first scratch/mark what have you.