How do you feel about buying preloved or vintage handbags?

JCMB

Jul 9, 2013
Hello ladies,
I was wondering how you all are feeling about buying vintage/preloved bags...
I have never bought anything preloved myself, always wanted the boutique experience, also a bit afraid of counterfeit etc etc.
But lately i've seen the most beautiful vintage pieces popping up online, but i can't seem to pull the trigger...
I would really like to hear about your experiences and your feelings towards buying preloved/vintage bags...
Also, is it weird to use a bag that once was someone else's?
Hope to hear from you all
TIA

I have bought many pre-loved/vintage. In fact I'd say most of my bags were only new to me. I love them, love getting great deals on great bags. And it never does feel weird to me to wear them. After I've carried it once and gotten used to it then it becomes fully mine and I kind of forget that it was ever someone else's.
That said, I'm pretty picky about the condition before I buy. It has to look pretty good, no stains, rips, loose threads etc. And I do have to really hunt to find them in such good condition. But that's part of the fun for me. I love the hunt!
Oh and also I like to give them a good conditioning with a leather conditioner/cleaner. It usually makes them look like new again which now that I think about it, helps me to feel like it's all mine.

I think that buying pre-loved is very popular here, based on what I've been reading, at least. Me personally, I prefer the boutique experience and usually buy directly from the designer boutique or Barneys/NM if the model is still available in-store. Other than the boutique experience (touching and trying on the items personally before deciding, seeing different models and colors/variations, etc), yes, authenticity is a top concern for me (especially with the advent of superfakes that have gotten so ridiculously good). For models that are older/vintage that are no longer available in-store though, then I have no choice but to buy online/pre-loved. This experience (buying pre-loved/vintage/older) is relatively new to me. What I do though is make sure I have the item authenticated BEFORE purchasing. Does it feel weird that someone else owned it before? Not particularly (to me, anyway). I only have a few items that fall under that category (most of my bags still fall under the bought brand new from the boutique category), but I must say I have been lucky so far in that the condition of the items I got as pre-loved was very good. You just need to be discerning about the site you buy it from, the seller, the return policies, the condition of the item, etc.

Hope that helps.

I'm too picky. :sad:

I tried loving some of the handbags I thrifted, but couldn't. I started nitpicking at the wear, if it looked dated or not, everything. Despite authentication here, I also still questioned whether it was or not. So I gave them away.

I love the boutique experience (nice SAs only), I love the pretty packaging, I love knowing I get to pick from brand new, unused stock. I love getting all the little booklets and info on it and dust bags. Plus I am guaranteed an authentic item, where as even buying from a reputable seller and getting authentication here or a third party would still leave doubts in my mind.

Which sucks because there are great deals to be had if all that stuff listed above didn't bother me.

There are many lovely vintage and preloved bags out there. There are many Limited Edition, or Discontinued bags that you simply can't get other than preloved. (BTW, there is no wrong answer to this question. To each their own!)

:P

I have bought many pre-loved/vintage. In fact I'd say most of my bags were only new to me. I love them, love getting great deals on great bags. And it never does feel weird to me to wear them. After I've carried it once and gotten used to it then it becomes fully mine and I kind of forget that it was ever someone else's.
That said, I'm pretty picky about the condition before I buy. It has to look pretty good, no stains, rips, loose threads etc. And I do have to really hunt to find them in such good condition. But that's part of the fun for me. I love the hunt!
Oh and also I like to give them a good conditioning with a leather conditioner/cleaner. It usually makes them look like new again which now that I think about it, helps me to feel like it's all mine.

What she said!

I bought three preloved bags this year -- a Chanel, LV and vintage Coach. Buying preloved was my only option for the first two, as I can't afford to buy new and there are no boutiques in my area anyway. The Chanel and LV were in like-new condition and the Coach in excellent condition. I'm VERY pleased with all three.

Thank u for responding slowlikehoney!
So nice to hear that you have had positive experiences with buying vintage/preloved😊

I think that buying pre-loved is very popular here, based on what I've been reading, at least. Me personally, I prefer the boutique experience and usually buy directly from the designer boutique or Barneys/NM if the model is still available in-store. Other than the boutique experience (touching and trying on the items personally before deciding, seeing different models and colors/variations, etc), yes, authenticity is a top concern for me (especially with the advent of superfakes that have gotten so ridiculously good). For models that are older/vintage that are no longer available in-store though, then I have no choice but to buy online/pre-loved. This experience (buying pre-loved/vintage/older) is relatively new to me. What I do though is make sure I have the item authenticated BEFORE purchasing. Does it feel weird that someone else owned it before? Not particularly (to me, anyway). I only have a few items that fall under that category (most of my bags still fall under the bought brand new from the boutique category), but I must say I have been lucky so far in that the condition of the items I got as pre-loved was very good. You just need to be discerning about the site you buy it from, the seller, the return policies, the condition of the item, etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for your input Maice!
Great tips!

Last edited:
I'm too picky. :sad:

I tried loving some of the handbags I thrifted, but couldn't. I started nitpicking at the wear, if it looked dated or not, everything. Despite authentication here, I also still questioned whether it was or not. So I gave them away.

I love the boutique experience (nice SAs only), I love the pretty packaging, I love knowing I get to pick from brand new, unused stock. I love getting all the little booklets and info on it and dust bags. Plus I am guaranteed an authentic item, where as even buying from a reputable seller and getting authentication here or a third party would still leave doubts in my mind.

Which sucks because there are great deals to be had if all that stuff listed above didn't bother me.

I think i'm a lot like you bakeacookie, i'm also very picky, that's why i can't pull the trigger i guess...
But i might give it a try, because you are so right, there are some great deals out there!
Thanks for your response!

There are many lovely vintage and preloved bags out there. There are many Limited Edition, or Discontinued bags that you simply can't get other than preloved. (BTW, there is no wrong answer to this question. To each their own!)

:P

Totally agree with you that there is no wrong answer here!
Thank God everybody is different!

What she said!

I bought three preloved bags this year -- a Chanel, LV and vintage Coach. Buying preloved was my only option for the first two, as I can't afford to buy new and there are no boutiques in my area anyway. The Chanel and LV were in like-new condition and the Coach in excellent condition. I'm VERY pleased with all three.

So happy to hear that GeorgiaGirl67!
Thanks for responding...😊

I have biught preloved bags both from ebay or consignment stores, either because they would have been pretty expensive if I had bought them new or beause they have been discontinued.
But there is another reason too.
The fact they have been carried makes me less scared of wearing them.
I remember a very expensive bag I had bought from a boutique and which remained in its box for years before I sold it. I had never worn it. I was terrified at the idea of scratching it or ruining it with colour transfer.....
Lesson learnt from that experience.....

Reactions: evie_amor
I have biught preloved bags both from ebay or consignment stores, either because they would have been pretty expensive if I had bought them new or beause they have been discontinued.
But there is another reason too.
The fact they have been carried makes me less scared of wearing them.
I remember a very expensive bag I had bought from a boutique and which remained in its box for years before I sold it. I had never worn it. I was terrified at the idea of scratching it or ruining it with colour transfer.....
Lesson learnt from that experience.....

You have a very good point there Mariapia! The first scratch on a brand new bag always hurts!! But i have to say i'm learning to use and enjoy my bags more and more. Thank u for sharing!

Hello ladies,
I was wondering how you all are feeling about buying vintage/preloved bags...
I have never bought anything preloved myself, always wanted the boutique experience, also a bit afraid of counterfeit etc etc.
But lately i've seen the most beautiful vintage pieces popping up online, but i can't seem to pull the trigger...
I would really like to hear about your experiences and your feelings towards buying preloved/vintage bags...
Also, is it weird to use a bag that once was someone else's?
Hope to hear from you all
TIA
Alas, not being a millionaire, and BEING a Bottega Veneta fan, I am doomed to pre-loved, unless I get that damned book written and become that elusive rich woman.

I have managed to purchase excellent 'like new' condition, pre-loved 'my' budget-friendly bags, and have no problem with them being owned before my hands touched them. Buying pre-loved allows me to have the finest bag in the world at a price I can generally afford.

I have learned to ask specific questions and if possible ask for specific photos of the pre-loved bags I buy, so I know I'm getting authentic, and I know I'm getting them in the condition I can be happy with.

There is never a problem with authenticity, because I do my homework and complete my due diligence and if in doubt, ask the BV ladies here for authentication.

Its kind of exciting to finally find a bag you love at a price point that you can afford especially if you've been searching for a while.
I also think of it as recycling since you're taking someone's bag rather than have it sit unloved in a closet and you can enjoy it.
I wouldn't buy a chanel at full price as I'd be too afraid of scratches, transfer, rain , etc and would be too scared to even carry it out. I rather buy a well worn but still usable one so I'm not too afraid of ruining it.