How do you DO it...?

Demi

O.G.
Jul 1, 2008
I can't stand it! How do you go on a ban and STAY on a ban? Do you run out of money first? I will proceed trying to sleep tonight without thinking of all the Bal bags up for sale that I would like but I know I shouldn't get. That doesn't mean I won't toss, turn and lust for them tonight. :faint::sad:

I know what the only possible "ban" is for me. I only buy my holy grails, which for me are old and generally rare bags, AND I wait to find them in my price range. So that translates to 3 bags a year, 4 if I'm really lucky... LOL!!!!!

well in May this year I told my DH that I promise I would only buy one designer bag and that I'm sure I'd be satisfied with just the one.. now 3 bags, 1 wallet and 2 more bags on the way here later... I know its quite impossible to restrict onself. Though we're starting renovations early next year so I'm going to really have to try hard and be sensible!

Although we have the money in our savings, it's painful for me to see that number decline (esp. after the ridiculous amount I've spent on bags so far this year). I went on a ban this summer, but recently, I broke it for a charbon GGH work that I happened upon at NM (my son calls it my "dream bag"). Gorgeous color and leather, in exactly the combo. I wanted--I just couldn't pass it up.

To stick to a ban, I need to stay away from all stores (concrete and online!). I need to continue to come here to enjoy everyone else's goods! Even then, I'll probably get "something" in my mind and continue to dream about it--hopefully, I'll have the will power not to buy until sometime next spring (really, I need to be on the "once a year" plan).

Good luck to everyone who is on a ban!

^^I agree. I will say that it's easier not to buy since I've found quite a few of my HG bags. Of course there are always more bags that I'd love to have - but I've found every bag I was looking for (except a RT weekender!), so it's easier to pass things up now. Also there are things I'd love but don't really need. I have a smooshy tdf '05 chocolate shopper that I adore, if a chocolate work comes up: of course I want it = but it soooo similar to the shopper that I don't really feel like I need it. I have that base covered.

I too am searching for hard to find bags now within a certain price range. That alone cuts down my buying a LOT!

Staying away from TPF is just not possible and not happening. You girls help me kill sometime in the day when my brain has turned to mush from all the studying. And then I get to find priceless information about bags for free and check out all the nice things you've bought recently or help with a dilemma you're having, etc. Now when it comes to not going to stores that's tricky. I live in NYC (one of the few fashion capitals in the world so how do you say no to fashion?) and I travel to the city so I'm minutes away from any store that has a Bbag. This all started when I had to leave my job to have toe surgery. And then to exercise my toes as my doctor said I should, I would walk around the city window shopping. Then I decided I should stop fooling around and sign up for a prep course to get a good score on my LSATs but a lot is done online, hence why I'm always online and it seems inevitable that no matter what I'm surrounded. And all the bags I want are hard to come by! I absolutely hate missing out on opportunities! And when they're at such a steal! So...

danae: I found another HG at an extraordinary price (way below retail) but I've gotten over 20 Bal bags in a matter of a month. So I know I should be saying no...now how do I do that when the price is just so yummy?

swissaus: I need to be sensible because I have totally overdone it!

Cate14: It's painful to see my numbers decline too!

beauxgoris: I have most of every bag I ever wanted, not all. But like I said, all the bags that I like are from previous years before I even knew about Bal (or had just started) and to find them at an awesome price and excellent condition just hurts to say no.

chinkee21: I'm totally with you. At some point I said no more and then I went out and bought my first ever brand spanking new Ruby City. But I felt that although I do love previously loved bags because I the colors brand new anywhere anymore, I deserved to get one that I least I would have the chance of breaking it in!

And there will be no more swiping of my cards as I have to pay them off. I dunno...it seems like such a lose lose situation. So maybe I should be sensible and say I really did get lucky so far this year and leave the rest alone. Or maybe I should update my list of what my perfect collection would look like and cross off all the ones I have gotten already just so I could see how far along I've come. I find that I'm never fully satisfied until I've totally accomplished something in its entirety. :crybaby:

beauxgoris: I have most of every bag I ever wanted, not all. But like I said, all the bags that I like are from previous years before I even knew about Bal (or had just started) and to find them at an awesome price and excellent condition just hurts to say no.

^^I hear ya. In the early days I passed on a couple of bags and totally regretted it. This summer I purchased 5 (gulp, that's a lot for me) new balenciaga bags. Two of them were total holy grail bags, neither was a "deal" - but they weren't outrageous either. Of all my bags I only had to put the last 2 on CC's with only one outstanding now. All in all I'm SO GLAD I did it - I don't know when I would have EVER found the bags again. No regrets!!! So I totally understand what you mean about having it hurt to say no.

Ban n°1 for me: enough accessories, i try to resist to the MU and mini CP temptation but it's really hard. they are so cute. but 3 accessories count as a bag.
Thanks to the numerous flaws on 08 bags in paris, i am less tempted, so it's easier to behave. but now i'm into oldies, and if one of my HGs pops up, i'll jump and buy it right away, which is bad for my ban. :roflmfao: