How do you disinfect your Louis Vuitton Canvas?

xoxsarah14xox

Sep 9, 2013
Hey ladies,
I know there are a ton of posts about cleaning LV canvas but it seems like they are all focused on making the bag look new. Does anyone know how to actually clean germs off the canvas? I bought a preloved bag and although its in amazing condition I don't know where its been and would feel more comfortable knowing the germs were off it. Also even after using a bag when I'm sick or something I never know what is safe to clean it. I assume you can't use lysol wipes and since baby wipes don't actually kill germs what are the other options?

Reactions: USCGirlie
Hey ladies,
I know there are a ton of posts about cleaning LV canvas but it seems like they are all focused on making the bag look new. Does anyone know how to actually clean germs off the canvas? I bought a preloved bag and although its in amazing condition I don't know where its been and would feel more comfortable knowing the germs were off it. Also even after using a bag when I'm sick or something I never know what is safe to clean it. I assume you can't use lysol wipes and since baby wipes don't actually kill germs what are the other options?
It's cotton canvas coated in what equals to plastic, so you can use soap and water!
If you chose a more aggressive product (disinfecting wipes for example), I would wash away the residue with a damp clothe afterward.

How about leaving it in direct sunlight for a short time? I usually clean LV canvas (especially the bottom of totes and Keepall) with baby wipes or a slightly damp cloth, which I then wipe dry.

You can use alcohol free baby wipes. But really I use mild soap and water - using just water the second wipe. Basically it is what they tell When cleaning canvas bags.

There are products available, often in the organic sections of stores, that are considered "green" and claim to be excellent at killing bacteria while being gentle on surfaces and your skin. See if there's any in your area and, depending on whether you choose wipes or liquid, apply to the canvas only before gently wiping off with a lightly damp cloth and then drying it off with a towel. For the leather, especially vachetta, look at specialized cleaners such as Cadillac, Apple, and Barbara's Lovin' My Bags; make sure that it's the right product for your needs and follow the instructions on the packaging.

I think baby wipes or soap and water as mentioned. But I wouldn't want to overdo it either. The good thing with canvas is the fact that it can be wiped down. Ultimately, i don't think the germs will stay on any surface after a certain time period. But it's true, you never know where a preloved bag has been so I would try any of the methods mentioned and let it air out for a few days too.

Last edited:
Hey ladies,
I have used mild soap and water on the canvas. I dry the bag well.