How do you decide which bags to keep and which ones to let go?

For example: I have black Balenciaga City in silver, gold and rose gold hardware. I know it’s excessive and I’m forcing myself to let go of the rose gold. I find myself tempted to cancel the listing though.

I do have a “max” number of bags that I will have at any one time, but for me it is about whether the bag brings me joy or not (basically for me, I practice a version of KonMari on my bags).

If I am not using a bag, I ask why. I carry it for a week to see how I feel about it at end of week. I don’t like to have clutter and things I don’t use so if I look or use a bag and it does not bring a spark to my step, or I think of things that would make it better, or I feel I am having to convince myself to use it, it goes.

Why do you want to sell? Do you find you have bags you don’t wear, do you need the funds, are there bags you simply don’t like anymore? Are you running out of closet space?

I think you should answer this before selling bags because of a vague feeling that you “should.”

There’s a trend towards downsizing and minimalism right now. For some people, getting rid of some of their stuff makes them feel liberated and light. For others, it feels like obligation and just fuels the desire to buy more.

Some members here like having a set number of bags, so after they reach that number, they implement a one-in, one-out rule. Works for some, and the number is different for everyone.

You have to figure out what works for you. If you have three Bal Cities in different colors and you love and wear them all, why make yourself sell?

Sorry, just had to play devil’s advocate here. :angel::cool:

Why do you want to sell? Do you find you have bags you don’t wear, do you need the funds, are there bags you simply don’t like anymore? Are you running out of closet space?

I think you should answer this before selling bags because of a vague feeling that you “should.”

There’s a trend towards downsizing and minimalism right now. For some people, getting rid of some of their stuff makes them feel liberated and light. For others, it feels like obligation and just fuels the desire to buy more.

Some members here like having a set number of bags, so after they reach that number, they implement a one-in, one-out rule. Works for some, and the number is different for everyone.

You have to figure out what works for you. If you have three Bal Cities in different colors and you love and wear them all, why make yourself sell?

Sorry, just had to play devil’s advocate here. :angel::cool:
I realized at one point that I was in this phase. That clarity of mind somehow made me stop and relax and just enjoy what I have and not force the issue of downsizing.

Reactions: pianolize
I do have a “max” number of bags that I will have at any one time, but for me it is about whether the bag brings me joy or not (basically for me, I practice a version of KonMari on my bags).

If I am not using a bag, I ask why. I carry it for a week to see how I feel about it at end of week. I don’t like to have clutter and things I don’t use so if I look or use a bag and it does not bring a spark to my step, or I think of things that would make it better, or I feel I am having to convince myself to use it, it goes.

Great point, but what happens to me is that if I 'force' myself to use a bag for a while, I end up remembering why I loved/wanted it in the first place! I am bad at downsizing (though I HATE redundancy and clutter- I do love 'options'...)

I don't do one in and one out. I get rid of bags when I don't wear them regularly.

I track my "wears" and at the end of the year, any bag that hasn't hit my minimum needs to go. Sometimes I give a bag a second chance for a few more months. But if it's still not being worn at that time, I sell / donate.
Sparkle, what's your minimum 'wear'? In what time span is 'regularly'? I'm finding that my needs change seasonally, so I may not use a set of bags all year, then all the time in the summer...

I also realized that some bags I just really love to look at, but are not that practical for regular use or selling (old old bags in great condition), so I end up just keeping them. So I guess I need some help here! :-s

Sparkle, what's your minimum 'wear'? In what time span is 'regularly'? I'm finding that my needs change seasonally, so I may not use a set of bags all year, then all the time in the summer...

I also realized that some bags I just really love to look at, but are not that practical for regular use or selling (old old bags in great condition), so I end up just keeping them. So I guess I need some help here! :-s
I track for a whole year to get rid of issues like seasonality.

My minimum # for wear is 6 per year. I figure, that if the bag isn't getting worn every other month (on average), it should go and I should get more wear out of what I have or buy something I'll use more.

If an unworn bag isn't worth selling, I donate it. I reeeeaaaally don't like clutter. LOL!

The only rarely used bags I keep are ones for specific functions - messy situations bag (amusement parks, etc.), backpack, etc.. I limit myself to no more than 5 of these. If a bag is pretty to look at, I find ways to wear it so it's pretty on me. :lol: If it's truly impractical, I'd sell it. I don't get any happy from it living & lurking in my closet.

I try to go by whether the item makes me happy or not. If a bag doesn’t bring me joy like it once did, I’ll let it go. I also think that if I can’t find absolutely any use for my bag, it will definitely leave my collection. I have a couple bags I only wear sparingly but I have kept them for years because they’ve been super useful for certain occasions.

I don’t go by a minimum/maximum number of bags to have because I find that approach to be even more stressful than just letting my collection be. Which is good because I’ve kept my bag collection to under 10 bags for the most part. Currently I have a little more than 10 because I’ve received one as a present and another at a great discount that I just couldn’t pass up, lol (basically $25 for a $300+ bag!!! :loveeyes:).

Lastly, I don’t use pronouns to describe my bags, which doesn’t make me super attached to them. To me they’re just dispensable but pretty things that carry my stuff.