How do YOU decide Hand held or Shoulder bag?? Seriously?

Ghost55

Aug 28, 2006
I have been debating this since having children 5 years ago. I do have both, shoulder and hand held bags. But...what pray tell makes you decide which one you need or will use more?

I currently have: (in LV)
Damier Azur Hampstead MM
Damier Ebene Chelsea
Mono 30 Speedy
Damier Ebene 25 Speedy
Mono Sophie

So..although I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. I am currently using my Damier Speedy. I used the Chelsea today for Chucky Cheese, but I only use that when I am going out and about for the day with the kids. I normally use it as a work bag.

I am currently using my speedy as a daily bag otherwise.

so...How do you know if you are a shoulder bag or a hand held bag girl (guy) respectably..??

I am very curious to hear others take on the situation and hopefully I will learn something new.:heart:

In LV I have -

Batignolles Horizontal
Batignolles Vertical
Neverfull MM
Neverfull MM Damier
Popincourt Haut
Hampstead MM
Trevi PM
Musette Tango
Pochettes in Monogram, White MC and the Navona which I carry out for clubbing

..and my lone handheld, Speedy 25 in monogram.

As you can see, I'm pretty tipped towards the shoulder bag side. I had the azur 25 and damier 30 speedies at one point, but I just could not get used to having a handheld bag !!! I discovered this preference through trial and error ! :yes:

Maybe it's a regional thing ? I remember reading in the Hermes thread that a lot of French ladies do the handheld bag thing because it doesn't throw off the "lines" of their clothes ! :yes:

I have both and it really depends what I feel like on the day. Majority of my handheld bags I can fit over my shoulder so it happens to work out quite well really.

I use whatever my current whim dictates. There really is no logic to it. Except for when I do some heavy duty kid activities - like Disneyland- then it is shoulder bag all the way.

I am having just that issue. I can't decide whether I prefer hand held or over the shoulder pieces.

For LV I have:
Black Denim Mahina (shoulder)
Amarante Rodeo Drive (shoulder)
Brown Watercolor Pap (shoulder)
Amarante Summit Drive (hand)
Mono Speedy 30 (hand)
Fuchsia Denim Neo Speedy (hand)
Lilac Epi Jasmin (hand)

I have long hair so I do tend to get frustrated with over the shoulder bags. They tend to get tangled in or pull my hair. But, hand held pieces get heavy and burdensome. I guess my favorites tend to be bags that look fabulous when held either way.

Shoulder bags get me frustrated and all flustered while shopping, its even worse when I've got my little boy who hates shopping with me! I'm a handheld Gal' for sure!... but I am considering a Galleria GM to wear crossbody though!

Thank you all for these responses!

Ayla~ Your collection is fabulous and your honesty has made me realize that I need to think about functionality. Do I really want to carry 2 bags when now I can use the Chelsea or the Hampstead to fit the diapers/wipes/snacks/wallet/make-up bag/ agenda/ etc...

I appreciate your honesty and I am going to stick with the shoulder bags for outings right now and the speedies for quick jaunts/work days.
Now having said this, I love the speedies. I love the fact that they are cute and easy to pick up and go with absolutely everything.

I purchased the Sophie to use on date nights with DH and baseball games in the city. Love this bag to death.:heart:

Shoulder bags get me frustrated and all flustered while shopping, its even worse when I've got my little boy who hates shopping with me! I'm a handheld Gal' for sure!... but I am considering a Galleria GM to wear crossbody though!

How are you going to wear it cross the body? Can the strap be lengthened enough?:shrugs:..If so that would be fabulous!

I used to be "shoulder bag only" kinda girl, and now that I think about it ... that was when my kids were still tiny and I had to carry them too. The past few years as they have grown, I started carrying my shoulder bags by the crook of my arm. So I bought my first handheld which was the MC Speedy ... and it's all downhill from there lol!

I actually love bags that can be carried both ways like the Palermo, Neo Cabby and alike.

I am having just that issue. I can't decide whether I prefer hand held or over the shoulder pieces.

For LV I have:
Black Denim Mahina (shoulder)
Amarante Rodeo Drive (shoulder)
Brown Watercolor Pap (shoulder)
Amarante Summit Drive (hand)
Mono Speedy 30 (hand)
Fuchsia Denim Neo Speedy (hand)
Lilac Epi Jasmin (hand)

I have long hair so I do tend to get frustrated with over the shoulder bags. They tend to get tangled in or pull my hair. But, hand held pieces get heavy and burdensome. I guess my favorites tend to be bags that look fabulous when held either way.

^^ Love this quote! This should be my motto..as long as I look fabulous...

I'm a hand held girl for a really weird reason I think, and I only say weird cause I haven't seen people mention it before. I have pretty long hair (down to my waist), and I don't tie it up often, so everytime I put a bag on my shoulder, it tends to get caught on my hair, kwim? and I have to pull my hair out from under the handle, which I find really irritating :sad: So I just go hand held!

Though for me it's probably easier since I have no kids, just gotta take care of myself!

I always prefer a hand held bag. It looks better, IMO, since it doesn't tug and pull against your clothes at the shoulder or drag against the hip. Clothes just look better with a hand held bag.

this is such a good subject because my first response was shoulder, but I have two LV handheld bags that i adore and use often (speedy and manhattan GM)..

i think shoulder bags are more functional, but it depends on how often you will use the bag.. if its just out to dinner, i prefer a handheld bag..whereas out and about (shopping/school/etc.) I prefer a shoulder bag.