How do you deal with your oily skin?

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have pretty oily skin, and it gets dry a lot though too because of the lack of humidity where I live. I've tried a lot of things but nothing seems to keep the oil at bay!! Does anyone have any tips?

2. Hi there!

I'm on the same boat as you! I have really oily skin as well. I use blotting tissues - from TBS - they are really good for reducing the shineness throughout the day. I also use powder to set my foundation so it makes my face less shiny. Hope this helps!

3. I have the same problem! I love blotting papers but wish I didn't have to keep using them. I sometimes use Laura Geller's Matte Maker, but I don't think it works too well. It helps a little.

4. I use Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer, which seems to keep me pretty oil free. I usually blot at lunchtime, and maybe once more if it's a really oily day. I also spritz water on my face when I'm feeling dehydrated - I use Shu Uemura depsea water in Orange Blossom because the smell really picks me up in addition to the water. Keeping your skin hydrated is important so that it doesn't overcompensate and produce even more oil.

5. ^ Yes, agreed, you should keep your skin hydrated so don't automatically skip the moisturizer on the oily parts of your face. Also, try using a gentle cleanser if you aren't doing so atm. I've been using Cetaphil in the mornings and since it doesn't have salicylic acid like most of my cleansers do, it's gentler and doesn't dry out my skin.

I also think it's important to use a high quality foundation. I'm using MUFE HD foundation right now + Laura mercier finishing powder. I *do* still get oily, but you honestly cannot see the oiliness like before I started using MUFE HD. Now my skin looks a bit more dewy-- so I'll still blot my face at some point in the day to "touch up."

6. i use moisturizer which you would think would make it more oily, but it helps my skin. i use anti-aging with spf 15 from olay during the day...it helps. i also use an oil free moisturizer from clean and clear for acne at night time. and i use clean and clear oil blotting sheets throughout the day, it all seems to help me!

7. When I had oily skin I used to find blotting papers indispensable, especially those with face powder to help mattify skin. I also used toners. I hardly used moisturizers (even those designed for oily skin) as they tend to make skin even oilier.

8. I use a moisturizer by Korres for dry & dehydrated skin. Love it!

9. If your skin is dry, it will produce more oil to make up for lack of hydration. Using an oil-free moisturizer will keep your oily areas from over-producing.

10. I have oily and dehydrated (dry) skin, too.

I use only face products that do not contain mineral oil and do not clog pores.

I use a light moisturizer with sunscreen. Since it doesn't have mineral oil, it doesn't feel greasy.

11. I cry and throw tantrums. lol

I use Bliss Youth As We Know it products. Though not made specifically for oily skin and geared towards older skin, I have found that this regimen helps my skin overall, including the oil factor.

I have found through trial and error that the less I moisturize, the oilier I get. So my 2 cents is to find the moisturizer that's right for you and slather it on twice a day. You'd think oily skin needs no cream but on the contrary, heavy duty moisturizers help.

Also, I get routine acid peels. It helps with other things but I am assuming it helps keep the slick factor to a minimum.