How do you clean your bags?

cleosnow2

O.G.
Nov 21, 2007
Hey all!

I remember reading some people clean theirs with a magic eraser, but does that work on grease? I just took my ciao out to use for the second time today and noticed a huge oil stain on the very front later in the day =( I have scotch guarded the bag, but I guess it didn't prevent it from being stained. I have no clue what it could be as I usually don't stain anything on me. I've tried wiping it with a wet towel and it didn't help. What can I use to wash it off?? Thanks!

Scotchguard does not work on nylon!! It's meant for carpets, wool, cotton and anything with fine and usually natural fiber. Not meant for leather or hides either.

To clean nylon bags the best way is to machine wash, all stains come off. BUT if bag has leather and metal detail you cannot machine wash, must spot clean. Meaning, use a sponge and concentrated detergent like "409" get them from large supermarkets under the household detergent section. Spray detergent on dry corner of sponge, rub stain off, then rinse sponge and clean off the soapy residue on bag. Hang dry.

Scotchguard does not work on nylon!! It's meant for carpets, wool, cotton and anything with fine and usually natural fiber.

I must disagree. Here is a quote from the manufacturer website for Scotchguard:

Q: On what materials and fabrics can I use Scotchgard™ Fabric & Upholstery Protector?
A: This product works great on most fabrics! Whether natural fabrics like cotton & wool, synthetic fabrics like polyester & nylon, or delicate fabrics like silk; you can use Scotchgard™ Fabric & Upholstery Protector. (It is always good to test in an inconspicuous spot for color bleeding.) We do not recommend using on rugs, carpets, suede, plastics, or vinyl. On upholstery, check furniture manufacturer's care and warranty information. Examples of usage include: sofa, chairs, auto upholstery, camper & rv's, clothing, silk ties & blouses, delicate fabrics, wool, quilts, throw pillows, table linens, place mats, window treatments, crafts, canvas shoes, & more!

Scotchguard does not work on nylon!! It's meant for carpets, wool, cotton and anything with fine and usually natural fiber. Not meant for leather or hides either.

To clean nylon bags the best way is to machine wash, all stains come off. BUT if bag has leather and metal detail you cannot machine wash, must spot clean. Meaning, use a sponge and concentrated detergent like "409" get them from large supermarkets under the household detergent section. Spray detergent on dry corner of sponge, rub stain off, then rinse sponge and clean off the soapy residue on bag. Hang dry.

Thank you for the cleaning tip about bags with leather & metal details. I'll try it this weekend.

hmm shoe cleaner? I just tried laundry detergent and dish soap...both didn't work. It's made it a little lighter than before, but it's still visible. Thanks for all the tips!

I think there must be a misunderstanding. I purchased my Scotchguard from Wal-Mart and there were two cans on the shelf. One for carpets like you said and one for fabric.

Isn't Scotchguard used to waterproof things?? Not protect from dirt. I've been spot cleaning all my nylon bags, wind jackets, outer shells etc no problem at all. Nylon is synthetic material so dirt and stains come off easily, the only things that leave marks are curry stains, and fabric dyes. If you want to completely dirt-protect it, either laminate the nylon or carry around a dust bag. Seems silly but the dust bag idea was obtained from another department of this forum.

I have used a Tide pen for spot cleaning. It seemed to work pretty well on normal dirt. I don't know about big stains. I spot treat with Tide pen and then use a dry paper towel to wipe off the excess... I've used it on my Tutti bag and Paradiso Denaro.

update: I tried the Tide to go pen and it didn't help. I've tried dish soap, bar soap, hand soap, laundry detergent and windex (my mom suggested). None of them cleaned that spot off my bag. I think it's grease, but it should have come off by now. I used a toothbrush to scrub the fabric. I guess I'll just have to live with the stain or try shoe cleaner next...thanks for all the suggestions!