How do you clean Satin Lining?

EvanCat

TPF is my Enabler!!!
May 12, 2011
Hi, I have several bags with satin lining. 2 in particular I had to do some deoderizing because they smelled like cigaretts because I got them used. I used fabreeze and threw them in the dryer with dryer sheets. Smelled better at that point but then I put them out in the sun and aired them out. Even better but the smell is still there.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell on these purses? they are poppys and I do not want to throw them in the washer at all.

Also since I have been spritzing them with fabreeze I noticed that one of them had some hardness to the fabric at the very bottom. Like something had spilled inside. I am thinking it was this way before I got them and not from the fabreeze.

I want to wash the inside lining but I do not want to bleed the color off or stain the fabric. Is there anything I can use to do this or should I just use plain warm water.

Any information would be very helpful and appreciated.

Thank you!

The first thing that came to my mind is maybe handwashing the lining with Woolite? Don't know if anyone has tried this. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I appreciate the help. I just don't want to stain anything. I am thinking that someone out there has got to have cleaned their bag in some way that will work for me.

Thank you for the input.

I seem to remember people mentioning using unscented baby wipes on the lining of their bags. People have also carefully used the tide to go pens but that was more for like a pen mark. If you search the forum for cleaning, a lot of threads come up that seem like just cleaning the outside but they definitely have tips for cleaning the inside too.
If you use water, I would use cooler water, not cold but not too warm, somewhere in between because that will help prevent color bleed. I would just use a damp cloth though first and see if you can get it out that way without totally soaking the whole lining. You can always try a small spot and see what happens. Just make sure no matter what, you let them dry completely before closing them up. Maybe even use a hairdryer or fan

For the smell, I definitely recommend taking two boxes of baking soda(the ones you can get for in the fridge that have the little tabs you peel off on the sides to vent) and putting one in each bag and then placing the bags in a bin or box or other small enclosed area(even a small closet) and leave them enclosed for a few days. The baking soda should help get the cigarette smell out and any other random smells from trying to clean or too much febreeze, etc. Baking soda is great in neutralizing smell but you have to give it a little while to do it's thing. Afterwards, hang them outside again to air out a little more and they should smell much better. People have also recommended placing dryer sheets in the bags too but if I did, I'd just use some lightly scented or even unscented hypoallergenic ones or you may make it smell real strong!

Good luck!!

I seem to remember people mentioning using unscented baby wipes on the lining of their bags. People have also carefully used the tide to go pens but that was more for like a pen mark. If you search the forum for cleaning, a lot of threads come up that seem like just cleaning the outside but they definitely have tips for cleaning the inside too.
If you use water, I would use cooler water, not cold but not too warm, somewhere in between because that will help prevent color bleed. I would just use a damp cloth though first and see if you can get it out that way without totally soaking the whole lining. You can always try a small spot and see what happens. Just make sure no matter what, you let them dry completely before closing them up. Maybe even use a hairdryer or fan

For the smell, I definitely recommend taking two boxes of baking soda(the ones you can get for in the fridge that have the little tabs you peel off on the sides to vent) and putting one in each bag and then placing the bags in a bin or box or other small enclosed area(even a small closet) and leave them enclosed for a few days. The baking soda should help get the cigarette smell out and any other random smells from trying to clean or too much febreeze, etc. Baking soda is great in neutralizing smell but you have to give it a little while to do it's thing. Afterwards, hang them outside again to air out a little more and they should smell much better. People have also recommended placing dryer sheets in the bags too but if I did, I'd just use some lightly scented or even unscented hypoallergenic ones or you may make it smell real strong!

Good luck!!

When I searched the tread I looked for satin and I didn't really get anything too good so I figured I would ask. I poured baking soda into the one and sucked it out with a high powered vacuum cleaner. I don't think I left it in long enough or used enough. I also totally understand about the dryer sheet thing. I used too many and it smelled awful. Like flowers and cigarettes ha ha. So I aired it out and it was much better. I will try the baking soda again and I will also try the water and baby wipes. I didn't think about the wipes and I also didn't know that the warm water might make the bag bleed. I was just thinking it would release the stain.

Thank you!

has anyone tried the cotton pads or baby wipes and rubbing alcohol thing? did it worked? i just want to remove the brown stains on the top zip area
I haven't had much luck with the brown stains caused by the zipper. I've been able to lighten them but not remove them completely.

BTW, this is a very old thread but we have an active rehab club where you'll likely get some great advice. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/page-981