How do you choose a scarf/shawl/stole to buy....

Hi Chincac
You will be the first one with whom I start sharing on TPF. Thanks.
I agree that colors are important but don't you ever wear your scarves on shoulders?

oh yes i do, but it is the colour that catches my eye first, then it will be the design! i only have a few H silk scarves, i prefer the gm cashmere silk shawls. and with the shawls that i bought, it was always the colours that attracted me first because they are almost always folded at H stores, unlike the silk scarves.

I think there is a personal - almost selfish - pleasure in wearing a scarf with a beautiful design you are the only one to know - simply because it's folded. You know it's here, around your neck. No one can see it and you just show a little bit of it. But connoisseurs will "feel" right away your folded scarf hides a treasure....

The overall colour is the first thing. Normally jewel colours. Second is the design. I like symmetry, good colour coverage and subject matter. I love Fleurs D'indiennes, dislike a lot of the horsy themes scarves and find Les Camails downright scary.

I think there is a personal - almost selfish - pleasure in wearing a scarf with a beautiful design you are the only one to know - simply because it's folded. You know it's here, around your neck. No one can see it and you just show a little bit of it. But connoisseurs will "feel" right away your folded scarf hides a treasure....
That's really beautifully stated!

I am teaching scarf tying and styling methods to private and groups of women. It's really cool and fun :smile:)) Scarves and more especially silk scarves have always been my passion and I enjoy sharing what I know :smile:

As has been stated by others, color comes first for me...but then must marry with a design which makes my heart sing! I love that with many H scarf designs there are little treasures which peek out depending upon how it is folded....could be a cukoo clock...or a little knome...of part of a snail's shell. Color first but the design must bring something special to the party as well.

Last edited:
If the color doesn't work, likely the scarf will sit in the closet for good regardless of how beautiful its design is. Many scarves I must/want let go because the colorways do nothing for my complexion and even make me look pale or jaundice. Similarly, a scarf is a statement of who I am, so under no circumstances will I buy scarves in neon bright or loud colorways (I'm slightly conservative) and often opt for more neutral ones. I think that's the reason why H scarves have multiple colorways for each design, so that there's at least one for everyone.
Your argument about designs is valid, but do realize that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some designs that are not intriguing for you may be a classic to others, look better in CS GM than 90cm twill, or may look good flat but do nothing when folded.

Last edited:
Anne,

It's so nice to "see" you here. Brian

I just bought my very first H item, a Cashmere/silk GM in the Parures des maharajas in bright pink! I first decided on the design because I love anything with an Indian or Middle Eastern influence. As soon as i saw it i knew i had to have it. The jewels on the scarf remind me of my wedding jewellery. Then I decided on the colour, the SA kept insisting the pink suited me more. This was confirmed by my sister and mum who said I glowed (I knew then it was a keeper). This is the beginning of my H journey and I know I have a lot to learn. I'm so glad I looked and compared the silk with the cashmere and I knew instantly the colours and the jewels looked more real on the cashmere than the silk. I'm looking forward to wearing it with saris and as a statement piece for when I dress in my western attire :smile: