How do you choose a scarf/shawl/stole to buy....

i too am usually drawn to the design first then colour second. but sometimes it's the other way around, i've just bought a beautiful blue cuirs du desert on ebay and was drawn to the colour first, then after receiving it, realised what a beautiful design it is!

I have learned from making mistakes which is how you learn. I have learned that I must love both the design AND color together. The scarf or shawl must have a "WOW" factor for me to buy.

Design considerations for silk 90 cm carres

• examine the corners
  • deisgn must look well with scarf folded, sometimes there are missing gaps and/or the design "does not tie well"
  • sometimes designs do not look interesting as a square straight on (unfolded) but tie beautifully
  • Notice that designs that have a large circular design with interesting corners tie well
  • make sure you like looking at the motifs in the design; e.g.: while I loved Peuple du Vent, I did not like the dancing gypsie women in the corners and eventually sold the scarf.
  • Design should look well from all angles
  • Design does not have to be symetrical; case in point, Projet Carre, which is one of my favorites is not symetrical.
  • I have come to love the re-issues. There is a reason why I like them: the designs are great and worth Hermes to re-issue
  • You MUST try on the scarf! I have purchased many that I loved to look at but they did not look well on me or I did not care for the way they looked.
Color considerations for silk 90 cm carres

• I tend to like scarves with 3 main colors, which is what ocurrs naturally (in 3's)
  • I tend to stay away from multi, multi-colored (too many and I can't handle it, it is too much like a rainbow) unless the colors are in the same family
  • I tend to stay clear of mono-chromatic scarves because I grow tired of them but I am sure there will be exceptions if the color is my favorite
  • I have learned that I will gravitate to my favorite colors (greens, turquoise, sepia grays)
  • Stay away from colors that don't look good on you no matter how much you love the design!
  • I maintain my scarves in boxes in (3) stacks: black, neutral and color. I have a friend that categorizes her scarves in terms of seasons
My 2010 silk carre purchases include: Brides Rebelle (2 colorways), Grand Apparat, Cliquetis, Animaux Charmantes

Cashmere/Silk Shawls

This is new for me. I am starting out with basic, classic no brainer choices. Since my SA knows me from buying silk carres, she is helping me navigate the cashmere/silk GMs.

My 2010 shawl purchases include: Collection Equestrian (navy), Chasse Inde (black, I got lucky as it was a return), Washington's Carriage (blue).

I have learned from making mistakes which is how you learn. I have learned that I must love both the design AND color together. The scarf or shawl must have a "WOW" factor for me to buy.

• examine the corners
  • deisgn must look well with scarf folded, sometimes there are missing gaps and/or the design "does not tie well"
  • sometimes designs do not look interesting as a square straight on (unfolded) but tie beautifully
  • Notice that designs that have a large circular design with interesting corners tie well
  • make sure you like looking at the motifs in the design; e.g.: while I loved Peuple du Vent, I did not like the dancing gypsie women in the corners and eventually sold the scarf.
  • Design does not have to be symetrical; case in point, Projet Carre, which is one of my favorites is not symetrical.
  • I have come to love the re-issues. There is a reason why I like them: the designs are great and worth Hermes to re-issue
  • You MUST try on the scarf! I have purchased many that I loved to look at but they did not look well on me or I did not care for the way they looked.

• I tend to like scarves with 3 main colors, which is what ocurrs naturally (in 3's)
  • I tend to stay away from multi, multi-colored (too many and I can't handle it, it is too much like a rainbow) unless the colors are in the same family
  • I tend to stay clear of mono-chromatic scarves because I grow tired of them but I am sure there will be exceptions if the color is my favorite
  • I have learned that I will gravitate to my favorite colors (greens, turquoise, sepia grays)
  • Stay away from colors that don't look good on you no matter how much you love the design!
  • I maintain my scarves in boxes in (3) stacks: black, neutral and color. I have a friend that categorizes her scarves in terms of seasons
My 2010 silk carre purchases include: Brides Rebelle (2 colorways), Grand Apparat, Cliquetis, Animaux Charmantes

Cashmere/Silk Shawls

This is new for me. I am starting out with basic, classic no brainer choices. Since my SA knows me from buying silk carres, she is helping me navigate the cashmere/silk GMs.

My 2010 shawl purchases include: Collection Equestrian (navy), Chasse Inde (black, I got lucky as it was a return), Washington's Carriage (blue).

Wow, EWorster, for a Hermes scarf newbie like me these pointers are invaluable! Thank you. I'm going to print this off :biggrin:

Wow, EWorster, for a Hermes scarf newbie like me these pointers are invaluable! Thank you. I'm going to print this off :biggrin:

You are quite welcome. I admit it, I love Hermes scarves! I am now hooked on the cashmere/silk and it is scary because they are so expensive. I can't help it and don't want to.

• examine the corners

Cashmere/Silk Shawls

AWESOME ADVICE!! Thanks so much:smile:

EWorster's comments are spot on! Great advice!

One comment about the GM's -- there are certain patterns that I prefer in smaller scale scarves. Sometimes when the designed is scaled up, it no longer looks good on me. For example, I have a Tigre Royal GM, which I adore. However, the tiger's face is nearly as large as mine! So, I have to be careful in how I tie it. Same with the Carre en Carres GM. I have two colorways of the 90cm silks, which I prefer, since the scale of the patterns do not overwhelm me.

I must underscore the importance of trying the scarves on in person. There were several designs that I originally did not like, but tie beautifully! They can look surprisingly different "on". "Playtime with your scarf" is a true description!

Good luck to you! Happy shopping :smile:

• examine the corners

Cashmere/Silk Shawls

Yes that's the common sense way, but I've purchased a few scarves that don't really look so special tied down but bought them because I love the design (eg Jungle Love, Timbalier)
Also some because they are beautiful vintage that are hard to get.

In my case I think if I really love the design, I will buy it even though it doesn't look nice tied.

But one solution if a scarf is nice but doesn't show when it's tied down is just to wear it to cover your upper body not tied on your neck.

Small tip - if you wanna see/imagine how a scarf look like when it's on your neck without tying it down, easiest way to do so is examine corners, that will be the "ends" that are showing when tied down, and then look at the centre, that usually is the area that will show wrapped on your neck.

There is one very very important thing that I neglected to mention and that is to find a sales person (Sales Assistant) at Hermes to work with. You need to browse with the Hermes SA and ask questions! Ask him/her what they like on you. You will also notice what the SA's are wearing which is a scarf. You will learn to know what they like out of the entire collection.

I picked my SA because she was patient with me and I usually (not always) like what she likes. Since she sees the inventory all day long on a daily basis she knows what stands out.

She helps me eliminate the scarves that don't have the WOW factor for me. She also knows that I am not rich so that each purchase is a big deal. She works with me.

Hi everyone!
New on the TPF community.
I am a silk scarf addict and a scarf styling coach. A few days, during a scarf presentation, we had a debate around this question : do we buy a silk scarf for its color or its design?
What is your opinion?
Thanks for opening the debate

I look at the color first since that's usually what I see in the display case. Also once the scarf is tied, you don't see the design as much.

That said, my cop out answer is BOTH, because for how much H silks are, I need it to be perfect :biggrin:

Hi Hermesaddictt!
I agree that the design in important too especially with a classic silk scarf (90*90).
Even when it's folded and you see little of the it, a scarf with a nice design is like a piece of art that you will sometimes share if another scarf lover asks you to display your scarf.