How do YOU blow dry your hair?

I have long and thick hair, so if I can just let it air-dry instead, I do that. When I do blow dry, I do it upside down and on the highest setting. I don't usually use the cool setting.

I take showers at night, and put my hair in a tight bun when I go to sleep. When I wake up to get ready, I spray my hair with water so it's a little damp. Then I finger comb through my hair while 'shaking' the blow dryer back and forth around my whole head until my hair is almost dry. I take my round brush and blow each section smooth. I always use it on the highest setting (heat and power) with the attachment on. If I have to shower and then blow dry, I try to let my hair air dry as much as possible.

When I blow dry my hair (which isn't very often), I use the highest/hottest setting. Like someone else mentioned, the cold setting makes it frizz and the low setting just takes too long. I use a paddle brush and dry it at a downwards angle, which sort of smooths it and straightens it out...

Not very well... I hardly ever do it. I keep it in a towel for some time and then just use the hottest setting and blow dry the top bit only and let the rest air dry. I an not coordinated enough to do the whole blow dry with a brush thing and am too impatient to do my whole head- thick hair.

basically I try to let dry 15-20 min. on it's own. Not too long though it will be all crazy. I used to start by flipping head over and drying but stopped that when I read this article about how to get the straightest smoothest hair. Now I just dry on high straightening as I go along. When dry , turn to cool setting to smooth. Then flati ron, and silking oil

Two things these postings are missing:
1) Every blow dry regime is going to be different based on the type. It's like a formula: curly, straight, wavy + thick, normal, thin + dry, normal or oily = your hair type. Someone with thin straight hair, shouldn't do the same thing someone with curly thick hair will do. The products/tools used for the thick hair will be WAY too heavy/intense for thin hair.
2) Desired style for blow dry. Are you trying to get it stick straight? Big and full? Wavy? Etc.

If you tell us what your hair type and desired style is when posting your routine, we can take tips that will be best suited for our hair types :smile:

I'm Curly-Normal-Normal and to get my hair straight (but not pin straight):
After shower I twist it in a towel for about 3 minutes. Then I take it down and lightly spray on Paul Mitchell Seal & Shine (it's a thermal protectant with a light leave in conditioner). Then I apply a dime sized amount of Moraccan Oil mixed with a dime sized amount of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum starting at the ends and working up to the roots. Then I carefully brush it through, not pulling hard on the hair. I let it air dry for about 15 mins. To blow dry I first rough dry it without a brush, blow drier on a medium heat setting with the nozzle on, to get out most of the moisture. When it's about 90% dry I separate into sections and use a large round brush and drier (now on high) to smooth out and shape my hair. Finally for extra staying power I quickly run a flat iron through, then apply a tiny, tiny bit of Paul Mitchell Gloss Drops as a finisher.

Sorry for all the details, but I hope this helps! I'm a former hairdresser and I love sharing helpful hair care tips!

ok so i just read that i'm blow drying my hair completely wrong and i have switched up my regime.

Rules:
1. leave your hair wrapped in a towel for at least 10 minutes before touching it after your bath/shower.
2. do not brush your hair until it is partially dry. use a gel pic while wet.
3. do not rub your hair in towel. instead, squeeze the towel around your hair to get any access water out
4. do NOT have your blowdryer on high heat (oooops!). medium tops.

*the more time you wait to blowdry your hair, the less time your hair will be under a lot of heat!*

hth

ITA. GOlden Rules to live by. I do something similar and it greatly helps.

Two things these postings are missing:
1) Every blow dry regime is going to be different based on the type. It's like a formula: curly, straight, wavy + thick, normal, thin + dry, normal or oily = your hair type. Someone with thin straight hair, shouldn't do the same thing someone with curly thick hair will do. The products/tools used for the thick hair will be WAY too heavy/intense for thin hair.
2) Desired style for blow dry. Are you trying to get it stick straight? Big and full? Wavy? Etc.

If you tell us what your hair type and desired style is when posting your routine, we can take tips that will be best suited for our hair types :smile:

I'm Curly-Normal-Normal and to get my hair straight (but not pin straight):
After shower I twist it in a towel for about 3 minutes. Then I take it down and lightly spray on Paul Mitchell Seal & Shine (it's a thermal protectant with a light leave in conditioner). Then I apply a dime sized amount of Moraccan Oil mixed with a dime sized amount of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum starting at the ends and working up to the roots. Then I carefully brush it through, not pulling hard on the hair. I let it air dry for about 15 mins. To blow dry I first rough dry it without a brush, blow drier on a medium heat setting with the nozzle on, to get out most of the moisture. When it's about 90% dry I separate into sections and use a large round brush and drier (now on high) to smooth out and shape my hair. Finally for extra staying power I quickly run a flat iron through, then apply a tiny, tiny bit of Paul Mitchell Gloss Drops as a finisher.

Sorry for all the details, but I hope this helps! I'm a former hairdresser and I love sharing helpful hair care tips!

Great Tips. THanks. I agree, the way to blow dry varies with the results one desires. I blow dry differently depending on whether I want to go staight/curly or desire more volume.

I have wavy hair that grows well and fast, is thick and infact have more hair than I want. I have issues regarding managebility, frizz and desire more shine. I have tried a LOT of different products, but now I achieve salon quality hair with the following:

1. Towel/Air dry hair until 60% dry.
2. Apply Aveda style-prep smoother. Using a paddle brush comb my hair to evenly spead the product.
3. Use Aveda glossing staightner, and comb lightly again.
4. Divide hair into 6 sections. I use a ceramic brush(holds heat well), and blow dry at an angle. (Care should be used here. The secret to a good blow dry is based on this crucial step)
5. I take care not to completely dry my hair now(80-90% dry), since I've found that it works best to apply moroccan oil at this stage, when still a little damp and then blow dry as desired. This greatly increases shine, and hair looks and feels a lot better.

Hope this helps. ;)

my hair takes forever to dry on its own,so i blow dry it after i air dry for about 30 mins. i do the top mostly 1st,then flip my head upside down brush through it as i do the bottom. i then finish the top and go over all of it one last time. i do this on high heat.

Really depends on weather, if I have somewhere to go (my natural hair are not ok for work environment or formal events), and time in my hands.

I have dark thick wavy kinky hair that are long. Usually they look like that => http://images.sugarscape.com/userfiles/vhudgehair28_04.jpg without the shine.

In summer I just let it air dry and they naturally have the "beach look", if I have somewhere to go I will sleep with foam night rollers for softer curls and shine.

When the weather is not hot I will blow dry with head upside down, dryer in hot and high, while combing with my fingers, and then make a tight bun until the hair is cold. This way there is some curl but no kink. If I have time I will blow dry it by section and use the big velcro rollers for shine and volume.

I almost never wear them pin straight, only if I go to the salon.

Medium heat or cold never worked for me. It just messes my hair. And I don't use product as my hair are holding their shape very nice.

my hair's below my shoulder blades, thick and naturally wavy, not chemically processed and quite healthy.

i wash my hair at night and get a headache if my hair's left damp or wet. so, after having it in a microfibre hair wrap for about 10 - 20 mins, i remove the hair wrap, tie my hair up in a half pony tail and blow dry the bottom half of my hair using my fingers on high setting, then i let the half pony tail down and dry the rest, dryer held parallel to my hair. then i go to sleep - i do notice if my hair is even slightly damp when i go to sleep, the next day my hair smells a bit?

my (now ex) hairdresser ruined my hair by cutting super choppy short layers which i'm growing out, so these layers now stick out like a feather duster :sad: - these ends i curl in and under quickly with straightening tongs which give me a better result than using a brush and dryer.

- Air dry about 15-20 min while putting make-up on
- 2-3 min blowdrying with head flipped upside down
- Smoothed/styled with blow dryer and roundbrush approx. 3-4 min
- Finished with a an all over cool blast of air from blow dryer (less than a min)

I leave mine in a towel for a few minutes, then comb it out, then blow dry it upside down for about ten minutes on hot (I have a Chi blowdryer- makes all the difference in the world). Then I take a break and do other things to get ready and I go back and do a couple more minutes if needed and then straighten.

Inthink I blow dry my hair the wrong way. I have thick hair and unless I straighten it it comes out poofy and frizzy. I try to air dry it a little then put it on medium heat. Before I do that I put chi serum on my hair. Then I put a little on after I dry it. I'm gonna get a big rounded brick and try doing it that way. Will that take frizziness and poofiness out and make it straighter without damaging it with my straightener?????

I wash my hair in the evening, comb through to detangle and let it air dry for several hours before bed. At bedtime I pin it up in a very loose twist and when I take it down in the morning it's dry. I use hot rollers to style.