How do you avoid getting scammed (buying a fake)

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I just have to ask. I have been in the serious market for a chyc cabas and most of the authentication threads ask about auth cards or a tag on the inside of the dust bag. If fakes are getting that precise and hard to discern, what is to prevent scammers from taking a real card & dustbag and putting a fake in it? It worries me so much that I am starting to question buying anything on any site other than Neiman Marcus or Saks. Is there a way to ensure you don't get fooled?

I just have to ask. I have been in the serious market for a chyc cabas and most of the authentication threads ask about auth cards or a tag on the inside of the dust bag. If fakes are getting that precise and hard to discern, what is to prevent scammers from taking a real card & dustbag and putting a fake in it? It worries me so much that I am starting to question buying anything on any site other than Neiman Marcus or Saks. Is there a way to ensure you don't get fooled?

Authentication goes beyond dustbags and cards. The bag itself has many elements that can show fake or real. Yes, the fakes are getting better but they are not perfect. It can even be down to the smallest engraved logo. You really have to trust that these great authenticators on TPF know their stuff.

If a seller hesitates on giving you anything to help you authenticate, walk away. There are plenty of good sellers with legit items. If you familiarize yourself with the product enough and really do this often, you will develop that 6th sense too. However, that doesn't replace authentication on the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I have grown jaded b/c I see girls (including myself) post links of bags that look perfect (they have pics of the under side of the zipper, all close ups on the engravings etc) and the authenticators are asking for pictures of the cards and dust cover. It just makes me wonder what is to prevent someone from switching out those two things if that is what is the deciding factor for an authenticator on if the bag is the real deal or not. There are just so many fakes out there, it makes it easy to grow paranoid.

Authentication goes beyond dustbags and cards. The bag itself has many elements that can show fake or real. Yes, the fakes are getting better but they are not perfect. It can even be down to the smallest engraved logo. You really have to trust that these great authenticators on TPF know their stuff.

If a seller hesitates on giving you anything to help you authenticate, walk away. There are plenty of good sellers with legit items. If you familiarize yourself with the product enough and really do this often, you will develop that 6th sense too. However, that doesn't replace authentication on the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I have grown jaded b/c I see girls (including myself) post links of bags that look perfect (they have pics of the under side of the zipper, all close ups on the engravings etc) and the authenticators are asking for pictures of the cards and dust cover. It just makes me wonder what is to prevent someone from switching out those two things if that is what is the deciding factor for an authenticator on if the bag is the real deal or not. There are just so many fakes out there, it makes it easy to grow paranoid.

There is always a risk. If you feel so insecure about the resale items, it's better to buy from retailers so you can feel confident about your item. A bag shouldn't cause stress. I've stuck to primarily one brand for a couple years and I spot a fake in a thumbnail. However, I am lost when it comes to authenticating other brands.

by buying from the stores :smile:

i am not an expert in bags so to me, rather than paying this much for a bag that can possibly be fake, i rather pay more to get it from the stores. if you look at using the bag for years, the difference in amount of $$ saved in getting preloved is insignificant. plus should you get tired of the bag, you can get a higher resale value if you kept the original receipts & packaging from the store.

Well, I agree that you can (sometimes) avoid being scammed by buying from authorized sellers, but many have found faux in stores. Sadly, some faux pieces get past SAs and make their way into someone's collection.

OP, the gals in the YSL authentication thread work super hard to help ensure that tPFers do not end up with faux pieces. Matter of fact, its been a while since I went in there to give them a 'big up'. Thanks for the reminder and good luck as you purchase your pieces.

Your question is really important. I want to tell ppl who have same dilemma.

Each ppl has different opinion, and my opinion is that ppl who are uncomfortable or afraid when you try to push 'buy' buttun from a retail online store, which YSL doesn't guarantee, or buy a second hand bag from e-bay, it's better not to buy from them because you can't have confidence about the bag. When you take the bag on your arm, a question is always in your head. 'Is it authentic or not?'

I can stand for that I work hard & save money for very long time (1 year? 2 years? doesn't matter) to get my disire bag with full price. However, I can't stand for that I take the bag on my arm without confidence. If I get a bag with doubting the authenticity, the above question will be in my head all day, and my love will never continue. Even I will hate the bag.

I'm chicken, so I will take a safe way(^ ^)

YSL only gaulantee their authentication; YSL store, YSL online store, Saks, Saks.com, NM, NM.com. As I remember Barney's or Net a Porter too, I forgot which one.

Actually if you think a YSL bag is fake which you bought from a different store, other than the above, YSL just keep saying we can't guarantee your bag.

I bought a large Muse from Saks.com, and back of the inner leather tag has misprint engrave which I can barely see the sirial number and 'Mad', but I can't see 'e in Italy'. So I talked to Saks, and they said 'We only sell authentic products. Sorry for you got a misprint bag, but if you don't like it, you can return it.' And I e-mail to YSL, because I want to make sure the bag is authentic. I know Saks.com never sell fake bags, but who knows? I heard bad ppl buy a bag, and send back (return) a fake bag.

What did YSL answer?

'We do not guarantee authenticity of our products unless they are purchased through a YSL boutique, YSL.COM, or through an authorized retail partner, which includes Saks and Saks.com.'

It means my bag is from Saks.com, so it's authentic???
I think they should ask me to send the picture of the tag & the receipt from Saks.com, or ask me to go to a YSL store with the receipt.

Why they didn't ask? I guess even if I bring to a YSL store, I don't think SA can tell whether or not it's authentic immediately, because the Muse is perfect, only the tag has misprint engrave.

If you buy a bag from a store that YSL guarantee, but if you get such a bag or not sure the authenticity, you might want to return it. I returned the Muse to Saks.

Last edited:
There is always a risk. If you feel so insecure about the resale items, it's better to buy from retailers so you can feel confident about your item. A bag shouldn't cause stress. I've stuck to primarily one brand for a couple years and I spot a fake in a thumbnail. However, I am lost when it comes to authenticating other brands.
I totally agree. A bag shouldn't cause stress (^o^)/