How do you apply sparkly shadow w/ out ending up all over face?

skydive nikki

Mar 14, 2009
Any suggestions?? I have sooo many pretty shadows w/ sparkle, glitter, and shimmer, but they end up all over my cheeks. As soon as I put it on it is under my eyes and on my cheeks. I have tried putting a tissue on my face while applying the shadow, but it somehow still gets on me. Is there a trick to applying it to only your lids? Might be a lame question, but it really bugs me:shrugs:

Last edited:
Use a primer
Use a sort of flat shadow brush and softly pat the shadow on
Do your eyes first, clean up all the mess and then apply conealer and foundation

Wow! Thanks! I felt dumb for asking this, but just could not figure it out. I was thinking of doing my eyes first, but never tried. My eyes are usually the last thing I do besides my lips.

I agree with doing your eyes first and using primer. The other thing I do is lightly pat the brush on the shadow a few times to pick up just enough color but not oversaturate the brush. Then tap the brush a few times against the rim of your sink or anywhere to tap off any excess. Then pat the shadow onto your lid using quick, small pats while holding tissue under your eye.

If you do your eyes first you can wipe away any fallout with makeup remover. If you forget and do your face first some people recommend a generous dusting of loose powder on your cheeks under your eyes (and the above steps) so you can brush the fallout off with the excess loose powder when you are finished. I personally haven't tried that method.

I agree with doing your eyes first and using primer. The other thing I do is lightly pat the brush on the shadow a few times to pick up just enough color but not oversaturate the brush. Then tap the brush a few times against the rim of your sink or anywhere to tap off any excess. Then pat the shadow onto your lid using quick, small pats while holding tissue under your eye.

If you do your eyes first you can wipe away any fallout with makeup remover. If you forget and do your face first some people recommend a generous dusting of loose powder on your cheeks under your eyes (and the above steps) so you can brush the fallout off with the excess loose powder when you are finished. I personally haven't tried that method.

The bolded. Also, if the shadow can handle it, I spray my brush with MAC Fix+ which minimizes fall-out big time.

DIdn't I hear about this on youtube? They use a business card right under their lower lid close to their lower water line and hold it there and do their eyeshadow so the sparkles fall onto the card... Make sense? the business card is used to avoid mascara flaking onto skin, but you can use it to avoid eyeshadow flakes onto face too...HTH

Last edited:
Wow..thanks ladies!! I will try these methods. I have quite a few shadows that I can use again. I just discovered the make up forum and LOVE it! Between this and my purse addiction I am in trouble. LOL. BTW, what is MAC fix+?

Use a dense brush rather than a fluffy one.
Pat it on, instead of swiping it.
Use it wet for better placement and color concentration.
If all else fails, tapping your face with tape will clean it off.

I simply place loose powder under my eyes and sweep it off with a powder brush after I'm done. Works wonderfully for me :smile: (and fyi, you need to put quite a bit more powder than normally ^^)