How do the J12s hold up over time?

stylefly

Shopportunist
O.G.
Apr 22, 2006
I'm looking at a white one but I have bad luck with watches as a rule...if it's possible to chip or scratch them, I will do it inadvertently, guaranteed. Does the ceramic chip or scratch easily? How about the glass?
As well, does it need to be serviced every year? I sold my Cartier watch as I didn't want to have to pay every year to get it serviced.
Last question- any authenticity tips to share? I tried comparing a fake one and a real one online and they looked so similar. I could tell the font on the numbers was different but anything else to look for? I tried searching here but didn't find any tips. Thanks:flowers:

The ceramic is VERY durable, I have mine for a short time only, the white ceramic does not get dirty or scracth at all, I wear it almost everyday everywhere. If possible...you should purchase it at an authorized Chanel watch dealer, because IMO Cartier watches are VERY easily to id a fake (i.e. blue steel hands, the encripted Catier name inside the face and tons of papers that you'd get w/ a Cartier purchase) w/ Chanel besides the black warranty card, the receipt if the only other document. So be cautions on purchasing a Chanel watch online.

I ever see a quality fake one but the ceramic seems to be whiter than the real one.

Honestly, I don't bring my watch(es) to get service every year and there are no problems at all.

They are very sturdy! I am quite tough on things....and my white j12 looks perfect! I wear it everyday, including to the gym, it gets "banged around" a lot and never a mark. Good luck deciding.

I have my white MM38 watch which was bought in Nov last yr. It has been used and i don't see any scratch or rather it's scratchproof. Besides, it doesn't get dirty at all since it's ceramic material.

This watch will be with me for a long time. Not forgetting, we all know that J12 watch started off in white and it's not actually a new model. If there is issue abt this watch, they wouldn't be having this watch until now. After all we paid so much for this watch (i mean we can easily get a rolex watch), then i'm sure they will get complaints from customers if it doesn't hold up over time as it said.

I bought a J12 GMT. I've been wearing it for 3 days now and have noticed some slight scuffing where the band rubs against a desk or table. I thought the ceramic was supposed to be scratchproof? Has anyone else noticed scuffing on their black J12s?

^^^ scuffing? My BF has a black J12, and no problems really... and he is a BIG klutz -if he can find a way to get something dirty or scratched, he will inadvertently do it somehow, mind you this is like his everyday watch. He's had his for a while now too, almost 2 years, and no major scratches or scuffs, I would maybe advise you to polish it with a light microfiber cloth and see if it looks better? My BF does that every few weeks to his and it that helps keep it look very good.

While I have never seen a J12 other than in a store, I know that ceramic watches are very hardy and sturdy. I have a friend who has a ceramic Rado for years and it still looks brand new. He wears it daily. As long as the crystal is a sapphire (or synthetic sapphire) you can count on never seeing a scratch on it.
I'd say that the manufacturer of an automatic time piece always recommends service on the watch. What I do, is towards the end of the warranty period I send my watch (DH does the same) in for some sort of adjustment and they service the watch. There are some serious watches in our house. An automatic movement really requires some special service after a while to keep it in shape. Or -- if you don't wear it daily -- please use a watch winder to keep it running.

--J

For all you people who say there is no scuffing on the bottom links of your black J12 band I call BS. Every time I stop by a Saks or Neiman's and ask about this they have no clue and no one is wearing one. Lucky for me I was at Neiman's in san antonio and one of the fine jewlerly salespeople was wearing one. While his scuffing was a lot less than mine (he's had his 6 months vs my 1.3 years) he also wears a suit all day so his watch rests on in the inside of his long sleeve shirt cuff most of the time. The only countertops they have are padded. My point being if his watch has some scuffs then anyone who wears their black J12 will also. I don't know if i was specific but you can't just look at it to see it, you have to hold it under light and look at the reflection to notice it. We're talking ultra light, surface polish scratch/swirling here. Obviously I'm the only one anal enough to notice. Lawdy!

For all you people who say there is no scuffing on the bottom links of your black J12 band I call BS. Every time I stop by a Saks or Neiman's and ask about this they have no clue and no one is wearing one. Lucky for me I was at Neiman's in san antonio and one of the fine jewlerly salespeople was wearing one. While his scuffing was a lot less than mine (he's had his 6 months vs my 1.3 years) he also wears a suit all day so his watch rests on in the inside of his long sleeve shirt cuff most of the time. The only countertops they have are padded. My point being if his watch has some scuffs then anyone who wears their black J12 will also. I don't know if i was specific but you can't just look at it to see it, you have to hold it under light and look at the reflection to notice it. We're talking ultra light, surface polish scratch/swirling here. Obviously I'm the only one anal enough to notice. Lawdy!

You can call BS until you turn blue, they don't scratch. I have four, two in each color, and the black ones are very prone to smudging from oils in your hands, etc, but they do.not.scratch.

I don't know about anyone else's watches, but mine.

I have 2 J12's. A black one that I think is 4-5 years old (who can remember exactly) and a white one that I bought this year. I love watches, so I have a lot. I wear the J12's frequently, but for a week at a time and then rotate to something else. Neither of my watches have scratches.