How do leather soled boots do in snow?

Leather soles on snow/ice = no traction so I think you should factor that into your consideration.

As far as damage to the leather – Frye's are pretty well-built so a good non-wax water repellant and a thorough cleaning afterwards to get the salt off and then reconditioning after the cleaning should be okay.

I wouldn't do it with new boots but many years ago, I had vibram soles put on a really nice pair of leather boots and spent two weeks in NYC and the boots were fine. The vibram soles helped a lot but it was a style that looked good with them - may not work depending on which style of Fryes you have.

If you can, go talk to a good cobbler, they may also be able to make some recommendations regarding the soles and how best to protect the leather if you really want to wear them in the snow.

i only wear uggs or snow boots when it's snowing out...bc they put salt on the streets in NYC...the salt can really ruin a good pair of shoes...i just change when i get in the office. when it's that cold...i can't really care how i look.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try talking to the cobbler here. The snow on the ground will be building up through March, but we don't salt. I'm just don't want to be wearing snow boots that long.

OMG, first snow here, and I was in my Fiorentini and Baker Eternity boots, almost broke my neck !!!! Heels have rubber, but sole leather, and it was slippery, could not walk !!!!!

BUT, what freaks me out in the winter here where all is so dry, is static electricity, which is GONE with leather soles.

I do not know what is more important for me..I guess I hate zapping myself on door knobs more than slipping :roflmfao:

OMG, first snow here, and I was in my Fiorentini and Baker Eternity boots, almost broke my neck !!!! Heels have rubber, but sole leather, and it was slippery, could not walk !!!!!

BUT, what freaks me out in the winter here where all is so dry, is static electricity, which is GONE with leather soles.

I do not know what is more important for me..I guess I hate zapping myself on door knobs more than slipping :roflmfao:

Throughout the winter I hesitate when opening doors. I always stretch my sweater over my hand before I do anything, or I wait for someone else to go in!

AHH!! I hate when I put my hand under the faucet and get zapped!! If leather soles can save me from that I am ALL in. I find that whether I slip depends on the quality of the snow anyway. I can be slip sliding all around in rubber soles, I just have to walk like an old lady.

Oh and I hate when my hair sticks out and tries to grab everything.

I hear you, Vesna, I have had the same problem! One thing that helps at least a little is rubbing the sole with sandpaper to rough it up slightly and give it a little purchase on slick surfaces. I learned this trick from the gal who owns Ped, who always seems to have an answer. I needed it, too, because almost all my shoes are leather-soled.