How do I remove the emblem from my Louis Vuitton Galliera?

ulv

Sep 7, 2020
Hi

I've been so unfortunate that while I was polishing the emblem on my mothers Galliera purse, some of its color faded a bit. I've talked with the Louis Vuitton store, which is located a couple of hours away from where I live. They wanted me to bring in the purse, however I also talked with a different repair shop closer by that said they would be able to fix this - no problem, but I needed to remove the emblem from the purse.

Is there any way for me to remove this emblem without damaging the purse? Any other ideas how I can fix this? I feel horrible ruining my mothers purse, my intentions where good - but I really ****ed it up. The repair shop wants 260 USD to fix it, which is alright I guess. I have no idea what the Louis Vuitton store would charge for this.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

emblat.jpg

I would never take a repair to a cobbler unless LV we’re unable to fix the bag. Lv will repair it to like new, with the cobbler you are taking a chance it wouldn’t look as good or you wouldn’t be happy with it. I’ve had around 20 LV repairs done, some are expensive but I’ve never not been delighted with the result. As you seem to have sentimental attachment, I wouldn’t risk it.

I would never take a repair to a cobbler unless LV we’re unable to fix the bag. Lv will repair it to like new, with the cobbler you are taking a chance it wouldn’t look as good or you wouldn’t be happy with it. I’ve had around 20 LV repairs done, some are expensive but I’ve never not been delighted with the result. As you seem to have sentimental attachment, I wouldn’t risk it.
What do you imagine the LV repair would cost? Am I looking at 500 USD +? I agree with the suggestions to let LV take care of it, will take it to the store and see what they say.

I’m sorry, I’m really unsure as my repairs haven’t involved anything similar. The closest I’ve had was a new vachetta tag on a toiletry pouch which was equivalent to $100 (I’m in the uk), around 5 years ago. I think there is a good chance this will not be as high as you think, the vachetta is a small amount, plaques on favorite are about $100 (although obviously much smaller) and the stitching required.
You can take the bag to LV for estimate, if it’s too high you don't have to proceed. Please update with what you decide, I’d love to see how it turns out. Best of luck :heart:

I would not remove it yourself nor would I feel comfortable with a repair person asking me to remove it. Take it to LV and get a quote. Do you really want to risk messing this up? If LV messes it up they’ll fix it in some way for you. Good luck.
You are right, it's not a good idea to risk it anymore - I've already learned this lesson. I booked an appointment with LV upcoming saturday. I will post an update after I talk with them.

These are rivets. The tools that might get them off are brutal, and would likely to damage the plate even more, while the rivets themselves would be destroyed. I don't know how a simple cobbler would replace those branded rivets. And while he could apply some gold-plating to the emblem, it is 100% will not be the same colour as the original Vuitton plating.

Just an update. I brought the bag to LV - they are going to send it to Paris for repair. The emblem is going to be replaced most likely. It cost me 55$ which was an very fair price - surprised it was so cheap actually. They estimated 10 weeks service handling time tho, so hopefully it will be back before christmas. Thanks for the suggestions in this thread. I'll see if I post an picture update when the bag comes back from LV :smile:

Just an update. I brought the bag to LV - they are going to send it to Paris for repair. The emblem is going to be replaced most likely. It cost me 55$ which was an very fair price - surprised it was so cheap actually. They estimated 10 weeks service handling time tho, so hopefully it will be back before christmas. Thanks for the suggestions in this thread. I'll see if I post an picture update when the bag comes back from LV :smile:
I have this same gold plate on my rivet Pochette Accessories so good to know I can get the plate replaced by LV if I need to. Quite surprised how cheap the quote is. Good luck and do post pics of the finished result.

Wow! I know I said there’s a good chance it won’t be as high as you think but this is actually way better than I would have thought! Please do share with us and post in the repairs cost thread as it’s really helpful info.

Reactions: bigverne28