How do I refund successfully to Ebay buyer ?

Sapphire2691

Aug 17, 2017
I had to cancel a purchase that was just sold today due to wrong size in description. I messaged buyer and she agreed that we would cancel. Ebay said there was a problem refunding from my account. Paypal said I don't have enough funds to refund. I received $66.99 ( it is my current Paypal balance ), Paypal fee is $2.49, sale tax collected by ebay is $5.92. Buyer paid $75.40.
How do I successfully refund ? Thanks in advance.

Go to the paypal transaction and on the right side of the page under the purchase details, there's a "refund this payment" link.

If you click, you should be able to issue a refund for the full amount.

And although it might take a few hours, the transaction on ebay should eventually show that the payment was refunded.

I'm curious about this. Why is the paypal fee nonrefundable?? My fee is nearly $100 and I'm trying to refund someone. This is a joke. I'm so mad at this whole process.

I'm curious about this. Why is the paypal fee nonrefundable?? My fee is nearly $100 and I'm trying to refund someone. This is a joke. I'm so mad at this whole process.
Paypal made the announcement in April, 2019 that they would be retaining all fees when refunds were issued. But after much backlash, they postponed/canceled their plans but in Sept. 2019, they went on with the plan and have been keeping the fees since.

ETA: https://www.techspot.com/news/79545-paypal-new-refund-policy-has-sellers-up-arms.html

In fact, they flatly stated that anyone who doesn't like their plan is "free to close their account."

Paypal made the announcement in April, 2019 that they would be retaining all fees when refunds were issued. But after much backlash, they postponed/canceled their plans but in Sept. 2019, they went on with the plan and have been keeping the fees since.

ETA: https://www.techspot.com/news/79545-paypal-new-refund-policy-has-sellers-up-arms.html

In fact, they flatly stated that anyone who doesn't like their plan is "free to close their account."
I'm seriously thinking of any way to avoid paypal. I despise them.. Question, if I refund the buyer what I net from her, will she get her taxes back?? Sorry!! I feel like such a noob. I used to know so much.

In my case, ebay would add sale tax back. I just had to add $2.50 PP fee to my balance in order to successfully refund via PP. At that point, I could no longer refund through ebay after trying with only net amount. Then, ebay kept sending notices to ship the item so I had to call them. They refunded/adjusted ebay fee.
I would be so angry if I am $100 out just for PP fee.

I'm seriously thinking of any way to avoid paypal. I despise them.. Question, if I refund the buyer what I net from her, will she get her taxes back?? Sorry!! I feel like such a noob. I used to know so much.
The buyer does get the credit for the sales tax but depending on how you (as the seller) issued the refund, there can be a difference in the amount it costs you.

(My experience has shown that refunding through the paypal transaction costs me less than refunding through ebay.)

I posted about a weird situation here:

Reactions: littlerock
In my case, ebay would add sale tax back. I just had to add $2.50 PP fee to my balance in order to successfully refund via PP. At that point, I could no longer refund through ebay after trying with only net amount. Then, ebay kept sending notices to ship the item so I had to call them. They refunded/adjusted ebay fee.
I would be so angry if I am $100 out just for PP fee.

Oh I see, ebay takes the sales tax so it wouldn't come from paypal. Ugh, this is a nightmare IMO.