How do I get over this embarrassment?

fiatflux

O.G.
Jun 16, 2006
I f'd something up royally today in front of 100+ people ... I was running a powerpoint presentation that went with a musical program and I had never heard a song that was in 5 movements and I was supposed to advance the slide for each movement. Well, I advanced to the second movement too soon...then I advanced to the third movement on the second movement...and I knew I was lost so I just advanced to a blank slide to avoid distracting the audience any further.

I am so mortified, because I agreed to do this because I'm supposedly so tech-savvy and also have lots of experience w/music. I had a niggling fear beforehand about not recognizing the movements, but the performer assured me beforehand that it would be obvious. I guess obvious to HIM. Hindsight being 20/20 I know I should have asked for a signal or asked for someone who knew the pieces to sit next to me.

OMG...I shamed myself in front of all these musicians in the audience....it's just horrible. I'm actually crying about this. It was a very special recital honoring my daughter's piano teacher...celebrating her life in music. This was right at the beginning of the recital...you know "first impressions" and all. I had already totally messed up the timing of the "welcome" slides as well...because I got through them and it was still a good 2 minutes of silence and nothing happening on stage while the audience waited expectantly.

The rest of the recital was fine...no more mess-ups...but I just can't seem to get over this.

Please tell me it's not so bad....please tell me I'm not such a stupid f-up!!! I know time is going to take care of most of these feelings...but really, I just can't laugh about it now ... only cry...

I will laugh for you!
It is not that bad! You helped out and that is the important thing here. It is not that big of a deal and it absolutely does not take away from the celebration that the music was off.
I have felt embarrassed (a lot) and I have always found that the source of my humiliation is often even unnoticed by those who were apparent witnesses. We see our perceived mistakes in a spotlight.
Just let this one go with a chuckle-- everything is ok.

I'm sure everyone is over it. Really, it's not a big deal. I think most people would understand that it's not easy going up on stage and the audience was probably just thankful that they didn't have your job. Just take a bubble bath, go to bed, and everything will be better in the morning.

Don't worry!! The fact you got through it all is great!!! Most people in audiences don't pick up on all the mistakes that the presenters do, as they don't know what is meant to happen, they just enjoy what actually does happen.

My H just asked me jokingly if I had recovered from my "great shame" and it was all I could do not to start crying in front of him...but he was kind of surprised I was still upset about it!! So I guess maybe it wasn't sooooo bad. ;)

I just watched "The Office" and that cheered me up a bit. I know this too shall pass...

Try to remember that we are all human. Most of the things that make us cringe with embarrassment, and seem so monumental are not that big of a deal to others. At worst some people may have a chuckle about it,but not AT you. Most people are sympathetic and sensitive,and see the humour in this. They are not going to dwell on it and I'm sure that some haven't even thought to discuss it. Try to remember that your intentions were pure. If this was a scene in a movie you probably would be laughing. The teacher will never forget it anyway!!!! I'm sure she loved it!

Oh Fiat...I'm so sad for you but I PROMISE no one will remember for long. The evening was to honor someone, and that's what people will remember! You were sweet to agree to help in the first place. *HUGS*

No one will remember for more than about 1 hour. You however, will remember much longer. Time will make you fell less awful. If anyone asks, tell them you were drunk LOL

Aww I know how you feel because I'm a shy person and get really nervous around people, especially if I'm doing something for them like a presentation. But after reading what happened I can tell you that is isn't as bad as you think it is! I've been to many conferences or professional gatherings where presenters mess up or things go wrong. Its very normal, and the audience either doesn't notice, or realizes its an error but moves on. Since they don't know what they really missed they just see something not quite as planned but don't really care about it. I bet some of the audience even thought those 2 minutes of silence were supposed to be there! I'm pretty sure no one remembers or cares. Lol @ the above comment about being drunk, but I would suggest just being like "oops, yeah I made an error, phew! I'm sorry" that kind of thing. Because it WAS an error, you didn't do it on purpose, and you genuinely feel bad about it. Its a very small error too, so don't worry!

And like someone else said, it was nice of you to do this for the presentation. Next time you know to double check!:smile:

Oh hon, don't stress! It might have seemed like minutes but it was probably mere seconds. The audience is probably at home now thinking, "wow, that was cool!" We are always so much harder on ourselves than others would ever be.

don't worry, i'm sure everyone forgot about 10 mins after leaving. we always think things are worse than they are. and if it makes you feel any better, last year (during my final year of high school...and near the end of the school year), I fell off of my chair in the middle of my English presentation. And, since it wasn't a group presentation or anything, all eyes were on me. It's something everyone who was part of the graduating class knows by now, and I'm always teased about it. It was THE most embarrassing moment of my life. But, it was also hysterical.

Hope that made you feel better! LOL.

You were very sweet to go to the effort to make this a special evening for your daughters teacher. Your kindness will be remembered long long after your gaffe is forgotten.

My experience is that many parents dont lift a finger, and you lifted much much more.

Be proud and happy that you stepped up to the plate. Your daughter will remember that you were part of this special night for her teacher.

And remember, this event is already part of your past.
((hugs))

Onward, and upward.