How do I get over this embarrassment?

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Chicago
Have you heard of "spotlight syndrome?" The NYT did an article about it a few months ago. Basically, the idea is that we all can get "spotlight syndrome," as in, we amplify our errors to a degree that is much worse than the error actually was. Chances are, nobody saw your mishap as an embarrassment so much as a mere mistake.

No worries! You had good intentions to honor your daughter's piano teacher. I am sure nobody will hold this against you -- chances are, everyone has forgotten it by now!

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

mayajuliana

~Mind, Body, Soul~
O.G.
Feb 23, 2007
I understand what you're going through. There have been MANY times I've believed that I look like a baboon with my big RED BUTT in the air asking everyone to kick it. Yes, people may say things now, but they move on too. I've stressed myself out so bad on so many occasions over things that people just don't care about tomorrow. And then I get upset over me getting upset! It's not wrong to feel what you feel, but I'm sure your anxiety is blowing the scene out of proportion. I'm sure your DD's piano teacher and the audience (the nice, kind ones) know it was an honest mistake and not making it a big deal. I agree, go take a bath (or another one if you did so already), and distract yourself. I promise, you'll be laughing at yourself two weeks from now. I always do (and get laughed at too in the process).