How do I clean ink marks off Kristin leather hobo - garcia leather? :(

Lugrita

Jun 17, 2012
Hi all,

My shell Kristin hobo is brand new - I've carried her out maybe 3-4 times max. My youngest daughter had an ink stamp on her hand when we left gymnastics today and I have no idea how that stamp on her hand came anywhere near my purse, but it did. :sad: I came home with faint pen-looking marks on my brand-new purse. :sad:

I'm probably one of the only people who will notice it because the marks are so faint, but I know they're there and I want to get rid of them if I can do so safely.

I tried to get it out with water and a soft white cloth, but that did nothing. Is there anything that I can safely do to work on it more, or will that ruin the leather? I'm unfamiliar with the Garcia leather. Can I use Apple conditioner on it and give that a shot, or will that hurt it? What about gentle/mild soap and water? Or am I better off leaving it alone?

We've had enough "fun" with those evil hand stamps (no joke - only my clothes and things get stained by them, never anything else) and my youngest wasn't even supposed to get one today because she's in a higher-level class now anyway. They let her give it to herself, for fun...and I told her this was her last week of getting one. :-/

Thank you so much! :smile: I did read through all 15 pages of that thread, and then read through them again, but there is no answer there about the Garcia leathers. I did try Apple conditioner, but it didn't work. :sad: It's super light so I might just live with it, but...that's not me. :P Thanks for the Ivory soap tip - I might do that! :smile:

Alcohol works on ink sometimes. I don't know about Garcia leather specifically but I think it can handle it. I bought a product called Amodex which does wonders on ink on fabric but I haven't been successful with it on leather. It is supposed to work better if you haven't tried to clean it with water first.

Alcohol works on ink sometimes. I don't know about Garcia leather specifically but I think it can handle it. I bought a product called Amodex which does wonders on ink on fabric but I haven't been successful with it on leather. It is supposed to work better if you haven't tried to clean it with water first.

My bag!! My pretty, pretty bag!! :smile::smile:

I knew about alcohol, but I used alcohol on a pen mark once, on a British Tan Soho tote (eBay find), and it didn't do much with the pen mark but it did make a white spot...thankfully in an inconspicuous location where the breakaway zipper is on that bag, but it scared me from using alcohol on anything else.

But I hated having ink marks on my brand new Kristin, so I went forward with great trepidation after reading your post. I started very carefully, and it took away the mark, left no white spot at all...so I finished the job and now my purse is new, lovely, and ink-free! Thank you!!

I would post before and after pics, but I haven't used my photobucket account in years and can't remember my log-in.:P Do we have to upload pics to a photobucket-like site in order to post, or is there a way that we can post directly? Regardless of pics, THANK YOU!! I'm so thankful and excited to once again have an ink-free bag! :biggrin:

You should be able to add an attachment directly (at least I can from the Android app), or you can use a website like tinypic.com that doesn't require any login info to upload.

Thank you! I just now got the app so that I could do it this way, lol...hopefully I'm doing it right.

Here's the before - it looks like pen marks, but it's skinny smears from the wicked hand stamp.
image-1300947141.jpg

Here's the after...the lighting makes it look as though there's still a shadow of a mark, and it looks as though there is a faint fade spot (on my screen). But neither is the case IRL. She looks perfect, no fade whatsoever, and no trace of the ink. I'm so thankful and relieved! :smile:

Attachments

• image-92038949.jpg
    image-92038949.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 1,906
Last edited:
What a relief, stains are gone! So glad you were able to remove them. As faint as they were, they would always be a small ping of disappointment ever time you looked at them.
Happy your bag is like new again :smile:

My bag!! My pretty, pretty bag!! :smile::smile:

I knew about alcohol, but I used alcohol on a pen mark once, on a British Tan Soho tote (eBay find), and it didn't do much with the pen mark but it did make a white spot...thankfully in an inconspicuous location where the breakaway zipper is on that bag, but it scared me from using alcohol on anything else.

But I hated having ink marks on my brand new Kristin, so I went forward with great trepidation after reading your post. I started very carefully, and it took away the mark, left no white spot at all...so I finished the job and now my purse is new, lovely, and ink-free! Thank you!!

I would post before and after pics, but I haven't used my photobucket account in years and can't remember my log-in.:P Do we have to upload pics to a photobucket-like site in order to post, or is there a way that we can post directly? Regardless of pics, THANK YOU!! I'm so thankful and excited to once again have an ink-free bag! :biggrin:
I'm so glad it worked for you!