How did you learn to drive??

Choozen1ne, I am like you in the sense that I never admit to people that I don't have a license. I am just really embarrassed of it. I try to avoid that type of conversation at all costs. Even some of my really good friends don't know. Everyones posts have really been a sigh of relief for me, it is nice to read that everyone is unique with driving. I just wish living in a big city was my excuse...(unless you consider Pittsburgh a huge city :roflmfao:)

I know this is a sort of old thread, but just have to say, today is my driving test, I am frickin nervous. I am afraid my mind is going to go complete mush on everything that I learned. Please wish me luck!

It took me FOREVER to learn to drive! My first lesson in Driver's Ed class, I couldn't even get out of the parking lot. My poor mother was at her wit's end, trying to teach me. I required 18 months worth of practice and lessons before I felt confident enough to take the driver's test. Then, I *flunked* my test the first time! I passed the second time, but just barely... And then, my mom felt the need to teach me how to drive a manual transmission. (Ok, it was so that I could have her old POS car, which has a stick shifter, but still...) That required another 6 months of lessons before I got the hang of a manual! However, all that extra time paid off, IMO. I consider myself a very good and defensive driver. I've only gotten one ticket, and it wasn't for speeding... A cop caught me talking on my cellphone while driving within Chicago city limits...

Anyhow, the moral of my story is, you may feel like you'll never get the hang of it, but you will. Now that I've had my license for almost a decade, it feels like second nature to get in a car and drive... Too bad I didn't realize that when I was 16!

I learned in my parents' back yard (we lived on the outer corner of a street, so our backyard was larger due to that). It was in a 1980 Chevette, manual, ripped seats, rust everywhere. I had my subwoofer box in the back before I even had my license. I would sometimes just sit in her waiting for my time to come. I loved her, but she was such a piece of crap. There was rust in the fuel tank, so every couple of days the fuel filter would get clogged with rust, I'd stall out and have to pull over to bang the filter with a wrench to jar the rust loose in order to crank the car again. I feared bridges and giving girls I liked rides for this reason. I clearly remember being in front of a couple of cute girls in a VW Cabriolet, stopped at a light. Sure enough, she sensed my lust and stalled on me. I got out, embarrassed, apologized and pushed her out of the road in order to make amends. The clutch was bad so it would slip constantly. Eventually, I cracked the block somehow (probably cause I drove her over 65 mph too many times) and her life blood poured forth in a pool. "I'm done", she said, "I've given you all I can". And with that, she left my side..

And then I got an '86 Hyundai.

Anyway, my pre license back yard jaunts combined with paying attention and trying to understand what the car was capable of, really helped my know my boundaries. Honestly, I'd recommend finding a large, deserted parking lot, with no debris or barriers and push your car until you lose control. I think most drivers don't understand what it takes for you to really lose control, and then, what to do in order to get back into control. Obviously, take someone who knows what they're doing so they can explain things to you (ie oversteer, understeer, overcorrecting, turning into the spin).
Practice, practice practice...

I took me about two lessons, my little brother at 14 taught me, I was 16 then. However, I was not allowed to drive but he was, WTF!!! One New Year's Eve mom got drunk and I had to drive home, She'd let me drive after that nigh.

Originally Posted by JAP4life
I know this is a sort of old thread, but just have to say, today is my driving test, I am frickin nervous. I am afraid my mind is going to go complete mush on everything that I learned. Please wish me luck!

Good luck!!

Driving lessons when I was 18. It took me a week to get my license. But took me like 2 months to master the art of driving stick. My mom's bf taught me how to drive my first car since it was a stick. He is a very patient man!

I don't know if this is offered anymore in public school but we had drivers education when I was in high school and it was mandatory. (my dad also taught me to drive a stick shift- VW bug - during this time). We learned on simulators and then got to drive with a teacher for x amount of hours. My teacher was also my drafting teacher who had thee most monotone voice in history!

OH MY - this brings back memories. My driver's ed teacher was also the history teacher, AND the former Football Coach and was ready to retire! We didn't get to go to the mountains, but we did have hills around the school and he made us park on the steepest ones he could find. His favorite joke was to say "Hey Greengo" when the light turned green (yes, we were mostly mexican and asian kids in the car, so we all chuckled at this one).

Mom then taught me how to drive stick in my dad's new Maxima while he was at work all day, and again, up the hills....that was until it started to rain and I got stuck on one! :wtf::nuts:

here in msia, we are only allowed to sit for road rules test at the age of 16 and 17 for practical test. it's quite easy to pass actually. but i wish that we could be like spore where you could choose between manual or auto for test xD

it took me approximately 15 hours of practice before i was confident enough to take the driving test(actually, i was not. the driving instructor forced me to and told me that he won't be teaching me anymore as i'm supposed to have 10 hours training only).

Drivers Ed right before I turned 17.

I wasn't a bad driver, but my driver's ed teacher was always using the passenger-side brake (we used special cars that had brakes on both driver + passenger sides) on me for no reason! If you wanted me to stop/slow down, JUST SAY SO!

Anyway, I passed the class. When I took my driving test, I wasn't told it was a test. I just drove + parked as my teacher instructed me to, and then I received my certificate.

When I was 11 years old, my Mom propped me up on her folded coat and let me drive our 1941 Dodge around the grounds of a nearby business. I don't recall what prompted her to do that, but I imagine I talked her into it. After that, my Dad took over and made me parallel-park three times for each time he let me drive the quarter mile around the grounds. Never did lose the knack for it, and that was more than 60 years ago!