How did you learn to drive??

haha, maybe! Did yours take you on a four hour lesson?

Haha! He didn't but he did get us lost in an area which was like an hour away from my house! He then grunted all the way home that he was going to be late for his next appointment, yet shouted at me for slightly speeding to get us home quicker, and by speeding I mean 33mph:P

I was a late bloomer when it came to driving. I learned at 19 by my dad. Then went to the DMV and failed the first time! My dad never taught me to parallel park..so of course I failed because I did a horrible job. Luckily, afterwards I practiced and took the test over again and passed!

I got my license when i was 16 i took driving classes they were for 2 hours,so i took them for a week.Also i started practicing on my own too.My test only took 5 minutes i think is because in PR is a lot different since they have a test area.

My dad taught me how to drive. I learned the basic maneuvers (turning, parking, parallel parking, etc.) in empty parking lots and once I got comfortable with the basics, I just jumped in and started driving on regular roads and highways. Driving on a 6 lane highway in rush hour traffic forces you to learn pretty fast :P. But really, just practice, practice, practice until you feel comfortable.

I learned in drivers ed and by driving with my parents once I had my learners permit. Never really had a problem! ...it did take me 3 times to pass my drivers test though because I didn't learn how to parallel park in the DE I took in Mississippi (I took my test in Maryland)

Driving for me was a breeze. It really all came naturally to me. I took 6 hours of driving lessons with an instructor and well, let's just say the driving around was running his errands. He didn't really care much as I would speed. He just told me on the test to not do that, lol. My dad went out and bought me my first car. a 98 Honda civic coupe manual. It was awesome, I hadn't gotten my license yet, but would sneak driving test in my car. Driving part was easy, learning stick was just as easy. I love driving and I'm a real 'guy' when it comes to driving fast.

Wow I can't believe I found this thread. I am 23 and just got my permit last month. I have been taking driving lessons since the beginning of Ausut. I was always really fearful of driving, but it didn't help that all of my family put pressure on me to drive. I finally decided that I really really wanted and NEEDED to drive. Spoiled kiwi, reading your post was as if I were writing it..I felt and still feel the same . I worry that I am not learning fast enough and because of that I put added strain on myself. I am bad at parking too right now and its funny, my left turns are really good but my right turns aren't. I just was taught how to parallel park a few days ago and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I just worry that I won't remember everything for the test. It is SO nice to read these different posts..I seriously thought I was the only one that couldn't drive.

My dad bought me a 96 Pontiac Grand Prix (for 2 thousand bucks) for my 15th birthday and let me drive up and down our really long driveway for a while. The neighbors called Dad and said "There's a strange red car running up and down your road..." Dad explained to them that it was just me....anyway a few months later my Dad let me drive home from my grandma's nursing home, in the snow....on a really curvy road. My mom cried. I didn't even have a permit then....that's the country for ya!

Anyway I drove to church and back until I got my permit then I drove my parents everywhere.

When I finally got my license it took me one shot, but I just barely passed because the guy that gave me my test was a weirdo! Haha.....

But that's my story.

I actually learned how to drive in a cemetary. My mom and I were bringing flowers to my grandmothers' sites and she randomly asked me if I wanted to drive. Road-like setting, lots of turns and intersections, and no other cars. Best place ever. For the next year (I got my permit two days after I turned 15 and got my license on my 16th birthday) I drove the car no matter where my mom and I went. I also completed my 6 hours of behind the wheel after I had been driving for about 10 months. I can do a 90-degree back turn with no problem, but ask me to parallel park and there is no way I can do it. I actually hit the curb (not the flags) twice while trying to park that way during my driving test and I still passed.

Practice doesn't even make perfect but get in the driver's seat as much as you can while you're initially learning. You can think you're the greatest driver in the world but just about every day you'll experience something new and you really have to be "on your toes".

Good luck!

I was deathly scared of driving. I didn't learn until I was 22. It took me 2 tries to pass the road test and even after that I could not even listen to radio or have anyone else talk in the car for about 6 months.

I had to go to a professional driving school, lol. My instructor told me to calm down, take a deep breath and told me that I could do it. It's so funny when I look back, but it was a serious business.

After 5 years, I still do not feel comfortable driving someone else's car. One of the reasons I got an Audi A4 was because I felt that it was small enough for me to handle.

I always tell ppl that if I could learn to drive, anyone can! :yes:

my parents started teaching me and took me driving whenever I could get them to take me. Then I also took driver's ed in high school so I could get an insurance discount. It wasn't very long though and I didn't learn much. I passed my written test the first try but had to take the driving part twice because I made an illegal turn the first time.

I wanted to drive so badly I actually bought my first car when I was 14, before I had a license.

I learned to drive from my grandmother and from my mother. My grandmother would pick me up from school and then have me drive home. My mother taught me for the most part how to parallel park. We would drive around the neighborhood looking for huge parking spaces so that I could easily back into.

Don't feel bad. I just got my license a few months ago. I learned from a professional driving instructor. I took two weeks of lessons for 3 hours a day and then I passed the driving test. I was awful though. I really think I just lucked out because the lady felt sorry for me. When I was learning to drive, I had the hardest time making left turns. I was really good at right turns but I just could not get the hang of turning back the wheel in time for a left turn. Don't feel bad though. You'll get the hang of it. I needed a lot of practice.

My Dad taught me in an old, beat-up VW buggie we used to own. He'd take me to this special driving park we have here and we'd drive for hours at a time til I started getting the whole shifting thing right. After that, he'd late me take short rides around the neighborhood, and gradually let me drive more and more. Then my parents got me my first car and I've been driving ever since. I was probably 19 at the time.

All I have to say is that it takes A LOT of practice. Especially if you have a stick shift. The hardest things for me were parking in reverse (which I cannot live without now. I'll even do it if there's plenty space to park otherwise); starting the car again after braking, going uphill, and turning the radio without killing myself lol.