How did you find your Bal 'style'?

Okay, so I'm head over (high) heels with Bal. Really. And I've just recently bought my first baby, a City Anthracite GSH 2009. Preloved but in mint condition.

And so the addictive obsession has begun! Guess some of you lovely Ladies know that feeling ;)

But what I wan't to ask is this. How did you realize which models, hardware etc. was your 'thing'?
Or were you like me, all over the place, craving Velos, clutches, handbags, different hardware, oldies and new ones. Neutrals and colors. Please say you were!?

I'd like to be smart in my Bal purchases so that I'll only collect items that I'll truly love, cherish AND use. There is no Bal store (only one store with a smaller selection) in my city so I can't just try them out or go by the feeling when I first see them live..
I think I'm mostly in to the neutral colors for my everyday going to work bags and the clutches can be colorful like the red oldie baby I'm waiting for or the new Bleu Mineral I'm drooling over :loveeyes:

Whats your Bal style story, please share?
Also pics of course.

Last edited:
You are a girl after my own heart!! I'm obviously quite obsessed as well! I'm like you, I want them all! I'm beginning to figure out what works best for me (after buying things that just don't work)! I live in nor-cal and I'm not near a bal store either. My local Nordstrom has a small bal section, but they often don't get colors/styles I want or would like to stalk.

While I love ogling bright and bold bal colors here on tPF and have the utmost respect for the ladies who can pull them off, I've found personally that I truly love the darks and neutrals, they suit my personality and wardrobe perfectly. I've also learned I'm an rh or g12 (rg only) type of girl! I have two g21's, one in gold and one in rosé gold, and they are stunning but too loud (and heavy) for me! And while I find the city the prettiest Bal, the velo, town and hip are my fav styles. I need a cross body with a toddler!

The beauty of Bal is that there really is something for everyone!

I am also a Bal newbie, just purchased my first, a 2006 white RH city & have a second on the way, a 2007 rouge vermillion (red) RH city.

Anyways I have been all over the place like you, I want them all! I ended up getting white because I desperately needed a white bag for spring/summer & the red city honestly was just too good of a deal to pass up!

Now I'm on the hunt for a black city to round out my collection, probably with regular hardware. I adore giant hardware but for some reason am more drawn to the RH and more comfortable with it. :shrugs:

You are a girl after my own heart!! I'm obviously quite obsessed as well! I'm like you, I want them all! I'm beginning to figure out what works best for me (after buying things that just don't work)! I live in nor-cal and I'm not near a bal store either. My local Nordstrom has a small bal section, but they often don't get colors/styles I want or would like to stalk.

While I love ogling bright and bold bal colors here on tPF and have the utmost respect for the ladies who can pull them off, I've found personally that I truly love the darks and neutrals, they suit my personality and wardrobe perfectly. I've also learned I'm an rh or g12 (rg only) type of girl! I have two g21's, one in gold and one in rosé gold, and they are stunning but too loud (and heavy) for me! And while I find the city the prettiest Bal, the velo, town and hip are my fav styles. I need a cross body with a toddler!

The beauty of Bal is that there really is something for everyone!

^5!!

i find it by "trial and error", and i had to try using it for a few weeks before i know if it's the style for me. after seeing the nice colours, giant hw and the favourite styles for other ladies on tpf, i thought some styles (city, giant hw, bright colours) will work for me, but after getting them, and trying it out, i realised dark/neutral colours, RH hardware and larger sized bags work best for me :smile:

From pictures on TPF and trying different bags on in store. I instantly loved the City, then grew to love the Day style more. Since then, I've explored some other styles, but keep coming back to these two. :love:

I loved the First from the moment I saw it. I can even remember trying a City and feeling it looked ridiculous....
Fast forward a few years and I found the First way too small, moved onto a City (not so ridiculous, as it turned out), then had a brief flirtation with the Day, my first GSH bag. Found the Day too casual. Then I found a preloved Raisin GSH Work and that was when I found my perfect style! As for colours, purples and reds - I almost think if these as neutrals.

As for me I wanted as my first Bal something classical. So I bought RH City and it was LOVE. :love: And I never looked back it was perfect size for me, it was so perfect that I even when buy other bag compare them to the City size. lol.
So after my first City I bought 4 more Cities (RH and Giant) and want more, don't even look at other options (but I usually buy multiples of things I like) :biggrin:
As for colour black is a big no-no for me, so blues, purples, orange brulee are my neutrals.

When i got my first bal it was the first season the GGH came out , and i chose regular because i thought that perhaps giant would be a one season thing. Boy was i wrong. But the bag is a beauty and has served me well. Jus got my first GRGH bag.

I think at the end of the day i play it in terms of mood. One makes more of a statement then the other. But then again you could get RH in a bright colour and still make a statement. But i totally agree it is hard to choose sometimes. A little bit maddening.

But in terms of shape i'm partial to a city or part time.

I was lucky to hit it in the beginning. I first had the older style first and thought it was the prettiest bag I'd ever seen. I then moved on to the city for when I had to carry more and loved that too. Then the shopper - which is perfect tote bag and finally the besace hobo bag. All of these work for me and are what I currently use.

What didn't work on me:

* GH - not my style and also added way too much weight to the bags for me
* Weekender - I looked comical with this bag. I'm only 5'5 and unless I was actually going away for the weekend with it - it was too much. I looked silly
* Work - I really need that city shoulder strap. I have one work I've kept for sentimental reasons - but for the amount I use it I really should let it go

I think I knew from the beginning that city is my style, just fell in love immediately with the proportion, the handle and longer strap it comes with
although my first bal was the mini twiggy in red metallic that I bought because it was rare and I got it for such a good price, then I sold it and get the city, twiggy, work, weekender, first, part time, day, but I settle more on the city style.
and I'm so excited when I knew they make the mini city cause the proportion is just work best for my eyes and I've been using the mini city now most of the time

I knew from the beginning that city would fit me the best - it's proportionate to my frame, iconic and practical! I also own a twiggy but am not that thrilled with how it looks. The velo and day are probably the next styles I'd try. Have been on the fence to try out part time (especially when they come in highly coveted past season colours) but just couldn't take the plunge. Big bags are just not my style!!

I do love various Bal models

City, as the iconic Balenciaga bag, I love it it but wish the strap was a little longer
Part Time, looks like a City when worn but more practical as it has more space and a longer shoulder strap
Velo, because it is a real tardis and can be worn crossbody, ideal for travel/shopping
Town, again I love crossbody bags and without the strap it converts into an evening bag
Day, just because she is the most comfy hobo ever and looks fab.