How delicate is Croc to wear day to day?

psaseattle

PNW Hermes-aholic
O.G.
Apr 4, 2008
I am planning/hoping to be able to treat myself this year to my dream birkin - a Black Matte Croc with GH. That said, I like to USE my bags, even my most coveted ones.....I can't stand spending a fortune on something I only covet but am too afraid to use for fear of "hurting" it. Can experienced tPF'rs please enlighten me on if they use their Croc H bags a lot or only for special occasions? Also, how does croc wear over time? Is it delicate? Does it need to be babied? Or is it hardy? FYI - I have - and love/use - a Barenia birkin and a Box birkin daily and feel that they are actually both great to use a lot (so I am not afraid of what many here tend to call "delicate" leather/skins).

Many thanks for your knowledge :biggrin:

Very durable, no issues to use - the big no no is liquid. Don't hold a cup of coffee in the same hand as your Birkin/Kelly croc, never neglect to put on the cover even if it's drizzling. Even the smallest rain drops will cause a effect on it. Having said that it's not that obvious, I happened to get caught with a poro in light rain at one time, it has stained and if you turn it in daylight and really look you can see the drops but you just don't do that and it doesn't bother me and no one sees it. And cracks in the skin where its strained can happened even if it's not used... better to use and leave for spa reconditioning and it will last for you forever - honestly :flowers:

It's a wonderful wonderful skin, my absolute favourite although box is yummie too :smile:

Hmmm.....yes it DOES rain a lot in Seattle!!!! Thanks so much for the information - as a neophyte with exotic skins I guess I didn't do my homework enough about how susceptible croc is to liquid.....don't they live in the water?????LOL!

Is there anything that people do to treat croc to make it a little more resistant to liquid (a la DocRide's treatments)? I carry a little old burp cloth from my toddler's baby days inside my box birkin and she gets wiped down immediately if I've exposed her to any rain. That has worked well for me. I suppose I could do the same with croc....

:faint: you are one tough cookie, you haven't bought it yet and already you are thinking about treating it yourself! I would never never treat them myself, H is clear on that and unless I would warp into Doc I would never! :nogood: But I'm pretty sure Doc would agree its difficult to rain proof croc as you could lets say box...

good to know...yes, i saw in looking through the DocRide thread that she wouldn't recommend treating shiny croc but I didn't know if matte croc might be different. i am fine with sending to H spa as opposed to home treatments :smile: but I am wondering if I should reconsider my dream bag given that I live in Seattle :sad:

I mean how rainy is it up there anyway? Been to San Fransisco a couple of times, pretty dry but I froze my a** off! :lol: It seems you are literally looking for a croc bag to wear every single day - well lets put it this way, I would not use a H bag on a rainy day and that goes for them all... but saying that just leave it home those days - you don't have to necessarily live in the Bahamas to own croc and remember that it rains in Paris too...

Last edited:
Don't rule out your dream bag just yet psaseattle, OK?

Just make sure you carry one or two very large, brand new, sturdy and intact plastic bags folded and rubber-banded at the bottom of your croc bag. If it suddenly begins to sprinkle/pour, you'll have to carry your croc in the plastic bag to the XXX (store, car, school, etc.).

I have been having this same discussion/dilemma and have decided it's as doable in the rainy places as newer boxcalf (before it develops its patina and is very susceptible to rain blisters).

As long as you can live with the idea that on some days it stays home, it can be done sistah!! Don't give up the dream! :winkiss:

Please do NOT, ever! do any DIY water-resistant treatment on Hermes croc. For the premium you pay for Hermes exotics, there is ONLY one place it should ever go, and that's back to your Hermes store, in the event you need any fixes.

That being said, when croc skin touches water, it's finished. It will show water stains, or worse bubble up. Your idea of wiping down may not even be in time.

Last edited:
Hmmm.....yes it DOES rain a lot in Seattle!!!! Thanks so much for the information - as a neophyte with exotic skins I guess I didn't do my homework enough about how susceptible croc is to liquid.....don't they live in the water?????LOL!

Is there anything that people do to treat croc to make it a little more resistant to liquid (a la DocRide's treatments)? I carry a little old burp cloth from my toddler's baby days inside my box birkin and she gets wiped down immediately if I've exposed her to any rain. That has worked well for me. I suppose I could do the same with croc....

Do not treat the croc yourself. I would not want to risk Hermes turning away the bag for service. For such a high cost product, don't do anything funny to it! The very idea gives me heart palpitations!

And you should be very afraid when waiters come close to you when you're dining. Any condensation from a cold water jug is enough to do damage. I had to put my croc birkin on the table stand, under the table at a recent dinner. It was scary seeing the waiter coming close to me with his dripping water jug.

It also makes me nervous when waiters bend over my croc bags to serve.

So don't just think about the outdoors. Accidents can happen indoors too.