How dark is too Dark?

fashion_mom1,

for how long have you been using your speedy?
wondering because I plan to get myself a speedy and fearing the dak vachetta on the handles ...

The speedy is fairly old. I picked it up secod hand. I think it was honsetly made in 1990 so you have a long way to go if yours is new. I just don't want to retire it because I love it. One day I will bite the bullet and get a new one. My other LV is much younger. My BH is just now turning and it is 4 years ols. I take really good care of it since it was new when I got it.

Pictures help so if you have any that would be great. My speedy is dark, but I am ok with it...
sppedy.jpg

It's all about personal preference. For me this is too dark. What I don't care for is the extra dark part where your hand goes. I like an even patina and I would not consider this to be even. The top part has to be dirty from hands and that is a turn off to me. But of course to you it is probably fine since it is from your own hands.

You wanna see dark? This is dark. My Speedy 30

CIMG0152.jpg

May I ask what you did to get your Speedy to have such a gorgeous patina color? This is what I wish my Speedy 30 had and now I just got a Speedy 25 and I hope it one day has the really dark brown patina. I really don't like the orangy shade that's in between. How old is your bag? My Speedy 30 is 4 years old and I have tried everything to get the patina to darken and it's at that orange stage and yeah...don't like :sad:

^^^I do agree there. I might try to clean it up. However in the pic it does look a little darker than IRL. I just can't part with this bag.

Hi fashion_mom1, I think your speedy still looks good considering it has been around since 1990! I'm learning to appreciate darkening vachetta... :biggrin:

Is it unavoidable that the top of the handles will become darker than the rest of vachetta with time?

I think a dark bag is wonderful, i am not too fond of the brand new look, when the leather is all pale, the more worn the better, the bag then gets a real personality

I have a very (25 year) old NOE GM and now my daughter wears it with very trendy clothes, is looks great

I wouldnt mind that dark of a patina ona speedy. it is handheld, so it has more wear thana shoulder bag, with oil form the hands + grime and whathave you. i think it looks sort of cool, actually, like casually loved for years and years. I like that.

Has anyone had the vachetta on their mono neverfull replaced, mine is a few years old now but I don't want to get rid of it, I love it, it is the perfect mommy bag for me and I love the mono...but it starting to get a bit dark. I have totally babied my palermo and it is exhausting, if I spend good money on bags I want to use them!

I bought a Large bucket with really dark patina because I thought it just looked so amazing, it just depends on the style to me- my eva is starting to get darker, and I love it darker!!

Since this got a bump I will answer some questions
1. The speedy was 30 years old. I did part with it and buy a new speedy
2. Before I sold it I used a magic eraser and lightened the patina
3. What I loved about the bag was that is had a nice even patina (except for right where you placed your hands, but I lightened that)

If I can answer anymore questions let me know.

Pictures help so if you have any that would be great. My speedy is dark, but I am ok with it...
sppedy.jpg

This is absolutely perfect, IMHO. This is the stage that I dream of my speedy to be. I just love the look of a well-loved speedy with dark handles like yours. The look that fine things have when they have been used is just so classy.

I am a big fan of dark patina! I cant wait for my stephen and camo speedies to get as dark as my PN!----->:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC02654 - Copy.JPG
    DSC02654 - Copy.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited: