How dark is too dark when it comes to vachetta?

LVBagLady

O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
Here are my Speedy's handles. I bought this pre-loved. I have always been picky a about vachetta patina but I bought this Speedy because I knew it was authentic, the bag itself is in great shape, the interior is clean and smells wonderful. But I am selfconcious about the dark leather.
IMAG0128.jpg

I think the darkness of the vachetta leather is a personal preference. If you dont like how dark it is try cleaning it with a non alcohol baby wipe. It will help lighten it up. Just be sure to wipe all areas the same amount so its not spotty.

I'm afraid to try baby wipes after what I read on another forum. Someone used baby wipes on their Speedy handles and it dried them out and there was cracking in the handles. I had tried Magic Eraser and that dried them out but I conditioned them with Apple conditioner.

I got my Damier Azur pre-loved for Christmas and I was a little self-conscious about the vachetta too. I really would like to know the best way to clean it. I have non-alcohol baby wipes here at home, but it seems that half the people on the forum say it works and half of them say it does not work, so I am stuck wondering the best way to clean them. :/

But I think it is preference. I personally think the handles on yours look fine, they might just need a little cleaning.

i bought a pre-loved Speedy a couple of years ago and had the handles replaced. all the other vanchetta was fine but the handles were dark and had water spots and it drove me crazy. when i took the bag into LV the SA tried to talk me out of it, he didn't think they looked bad but i knew i would feel better once i did it. when i picked it back up the bag looked kind of funny to me ... all the vanchetta had a honey patina except for the handles. so i used baby oil on them and between the baby oil and just using the bag it's begun to even out so the handles don't stand out anymore. my point is: i'm really glad i changed them out, i knew i wouldn't be happy with the bag until i did it. so ... what will make you happy with your bag?

I love a deep honey patina but once it starts to get darker than that I can't stand looking at the bag anymore. I sold my Azur and Mono Speedys when they got too dark for me.

IMAG0126.jpg

This is the handle to my Lockit, another pre-loved bag. The handles have a gray tinge. I try not to touch the handles. I carry it on the crook of my elbow or pull my sleeve over my hand if I hand hold the handles.

I'm afraid to try baby wipes after what I read on another forum. Someone used baby wipes on their Speedy handles and it dried them out and there was cracking in the handles. I had tried Magic Eraser and that dried them out but I conditioned them with Apple conditioner.

This is true, from personal experience :smile: If you really wanna go for DIY cleaning, try the honey butter cleanser from www.lovinmybags.com. That moisturises while it cleanses...great product. Having said that, I think the very dark patina on your bag is due to age & usage, not so much dirt, which means cleaning may not make a huge difference. If you are really concerned you may want to consider replacing the vachetta.