how could Michael Kors still call himself a designer

Kors is a poser.
That he could be judging young, inspired, talented, genuine and sensitive artists on Project Runway is and always has been a huge joke. He doesn't even know what its like to struggle with an original idea.
He's just a businessman......and an unethical one at that.

http://www.michaelkors.com/p/MICHAE...at=cat000000cat8501cat35602&isEditorial=false

http://www.michaelkors.com/p/MICHAE...at=cat000000cat8501cat35602&isEditorial=false

After I passed by MK shop today and spot these new arrivals in the window I felt offended and surprised how MK has ripped off an iconic design from Balenciaga like that! I know MK has ripped the design from other brand too but this one here just felt too obvious! :mad::mad:

Thank god that so many here agree with me!!!! Exactly! How can he be legally copying other bags design and people still buy them! I have been saying this to most of my friend and all just dismiss me by saying all design in the world are copying each other. I argued that there is a fine line about inspired or copied! But no one cares me 😡 MK is obviously just copying!!!

I actually own several MK double zip totes (think its called the sutton)... Although it is much like the Prada, I have to be very frank in saying for a simple tote bag in saffiano leather, I'd rather pay the 276$ I paid than the $2200 price tag of the Prada. Tory Burch has the Robinson... I think Mulberry has something similar.... Coach has one... etc.

For those that can't afford a several thousand dollar handbag or choose to spend their money on other endeavors, I quite appreciate the fact that their are more affordable versions in those highly desired styles for prices that are more suitable to others lifestyle...

I respectfully close but saying... I really love most handbags.... borderline addiction!

I also have the Sutton from MK because I refuse to pay over $1000 for a white bag that's probably gonna get dirty. I admit that MK does have its advantages for consumers who don't want to shell out thousands on a certain design. Regardless, it doesn't make up for the fact that he does have a history of copying other designers. It's one thing to have something that's "inspired by", but it's another to try and duplicate another company's pattern or design. I've started to notice that he has a new logo print that's trying to imitate LV's Damier canvas. It really is disappointing that he gets so much praise. In this case, he didn't even try to change anything about the Balenciaga-lookalikes. The overall design is pretty much a carbon copycat.

I also have the Sutton from MK because I refuse to pay over $1000 for a white bag that's probably gonna get dirty. I admit that MK does have its advantages for consumers who don't want to shell out thousands on a certain design. Regardless, it doesn't make up for the fact that he does have a history of copying other designers. It's one thing to have something that's "inspired by", but it's another to try and duplicate another company's pattern or design. I've started to notice that he has a new logo print that's trying to imitate LV's Damier canvas. It really is disappointing that he gets so much praise. In this case, he didn't even try to change anything about the Balenciaga-lookalikes. The overall design is pretty much a carbon copycat.
Ha.. I was quite surprised the other day in Dillards when I looked up and thought...... "wait..what... LV...at Dillards..... no way... I agree that is too much."

I do, however, wonder if the individuals that purchase bags in the MK price range are really those that serve as competition for high-end designers like LV... I feel like those individuals are totally different demographics in social constructs at the very least (a large percentage of the group at least).

I do wonder... which is most harmful to high-end designers... replicas/fakes/superfakes or "inspired" bags...

Ha.. I was quite surprised the other day in Dillards when I looked up and thought...... "wait..what... LV...at Dillards..... no way... I agree that is too much."

I do, however, wonder if the individuals that purchase bags in the MK price range are really those that serve as competition for high-end designers like LV... I feel like those individuals are totally different demographics in social constructs at the very least (a large percentage of the group at least).

I do wonder... which is most harmful to high-end designers... replicas/fakes/superfakes or "inspired" bags...

You raise a good point. The way I see it...MICHAEL by Michael Kors caters to those who buy Coach, Dooney&Bourke, Kate Spade, and other contemporary designers. The higher-end Michael Kors line aims at the LV, Gucci, Chanel, and premier crowd. You're right that they are two completely different groups so there isn't any direct competition. Although, it can still be detrimental for premier designers. Consumers who don't know Balenciaga or other premier designs might be misled into thinking that MK's designs are originals.

I personally think that it's more harmful when the bags are replicas/knock-offs. Styles are constantly getting recycled between brands, so to see one brand's bag look similar to another is nothing new or shocking. We might frown upon it, but it happens more often than we realize in the realm of fashion. Replicas are a different story. Replicas exploit the integrity of the buyers and the companies, whose bags are being duplicated. It's also extremely harmful because when people invest in counterfeit bags, they are supporting sweat shops and shady business practices. At least with "inspired by" bags, you're putting money back into the economy. There's also a chance that those who buy "inspired by" bags will invest in a higher-end bag later in life, whereas those who buy replicas are not aware of the difference, and if they are, they have already made the conscious decision to not pay the price for a better quality piece.

Whenever people start lecturing (and yep, x3vann you kinda are), about sweat shops and shady business practices of the counterfeit market- I like to remind them that unless they're staying away from "made in china" (among other countries), they're supporting the exact same thing.

Do you really think the "legal" business practices of a Chinese factory owner is any less shady?
Do you think the Chinese factory employee has the same rights and wages as those in Europe or America?

But here in the States, we generally keep quiet and continue to buy goods from countries that can produce these products cheap.
So where are our morals and ethics then? How come it's ok, to stand on a pedestal and preach about the ills of buying counterfeit, all the while, never mentioning that we support abhorrent worker conditions/wages in other countries?
Right, because as long as we can get that 60" TV for cheap, all's good with the world.

Paalease.

Wow... An attempt at thought provoking conversation leads to some quite antagonistic commentary. Wish all of the best and thanks for your feedback.

Wow... An attempt at thought provoking conversation leads to some quite antagonistic commentary. Wish all of the best and thanks for your feedback.

I didn't mean to be snarky, so I apologize for that. In fact, I agree with most of what's been posted.
It just rubs me the wrong way when people get preachy (or what I perceive to be preachy) about the wrongs of buying counterfeit, without looking at what we ourselves do that support the very same problems.

So I do apologize.

Whenever people start lecturing (and yep, x3vann you kinda are), about sweat shops and shady business practices of the counterfeit market- I like to remind them that unless they're staying away from "made in china" (among other countries), they're supporting the exact same thing.

Do you really think the "legal" business practices of a Chinese factory owner is any less shady?
Do you think the Chinese factory employee has the same rights and wages as those in Europe or America?

But here in the States, we generally keep quiet and continue to buy goods from countries that can produce these products cheap.
So where are our morals and ethics then? How come it's ok, to stand on a pedestal and preach about the ills of buying counterfeit, all the while, never mentioning that we support abhorrent worker conditions/wages in other countries?
Right, because as long as we can get that 60" TV for cheap, all's good with the world.

Paalease.

Sorry if I came off "preachy". I never meant to sound like I was putting myself on a pedestal. There was a question and I answered it to the best of my knowledge. I'm fully aware that the replica bag issue is only one part of a larger picture. I have relatives in Vietnam who have worked in poor-conditioned manufacturing factories, so I would be ignorant to believe that buying designer bags would solve the problem.

Thanks for the stimulating discussion though. I've only been on here for less than a week. It's nice to know that there's more to the forums than just discussing bag aesthetics.

Sorry if I came off "preachy". I never meant to sound like I was putting myself on a pedestal. There was a question and I answered it to the best of my knowledge. I'm fully aware that the replica bag issue is only one part of a larger picture. I have relatives in Vietnam who have worked in poor-conditioned manufacturing factories, so I would be ignorant to believe that buying designer bags would solve the problem.

Thanks for the stimulating discussion though. I've only been on here for less than a week. It's nice to know that there's more to the forums than just discussing bag aesthetics.

Hi x3vann

I think dicussing how counterfeiting promotes shabby working conditions is just a pet peeve of mine, but it's not just about counterfeiting.
It's when anyone starts a discussion that involves human rights in a sense, and proceeds to explain the wrongs of indirectly supporting a particular activity, all the while ignoring that legally we do the very same thing every day.

Don't get me wrong, I buy from China, Indonesia, and Vietnam everyday. I don't mean too, it's just easier to do.
Finding everyday products that are made in a countries with fair labor laws, is very difficult here. So I'm guilty of the same thing that counterfeiting promotes, and I guess that's what bothers me the most.

And umm.. you weren't preachy, t'was me taking it personally..

But enough of my ramblings..
Welcome to the Purse Forum.. Hope you stay awhile. :smile:

Agreed, if people who really wants to have a purse that looks like a designer one with cheaper price I'd say they could go for a copy cat or a pre-owned, thats going to be a lot cheaper than michael kors. People shop for Michael Kors is because its a "designer brand" and most of them dont have an single idea that his design is just duplicated from others. And you are right, by looking at this "Balenciaga" design he didnt even try to change anything. I'd feel shamed to carry this purse.
There are a other brands that are in the same price range but carries more original designs than Michael Kors, (Coach, Tory burch), they do have inspired pieces from high-line designers but they do put their own thoughts into it and tweek the design and make their own. There is a line between "Copying" and "Referencing".