How come Birkins and Kellys are so "available" at re-sellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

expertess

May 17, 2011
Hope you all are having good end of year and that you Hermes wishes are coming true.

I think the above query deserves its own thread because several of us who have discussed this phenomena in private cannot find any "logical" explanation, so maybe some of you can answer us on this topic???

While many of us patiently wait our turn for podium or special orders or a stroke of luck for a coveted birkin or kelly in the colour, leather, and size we actually want as our first choice, there seems to be many online or brick or mortar sellers or re-sellers who do NOT seem to have any problem in obtaining stock while the rest of us wait for more factories and more artisans to be trained? How does this happen?

there certainly don't appear to be a drought of birkins and kellys with resellers i have to say! they seem to get all the coveted leather and exotic bags in classic and new season colours and sell them for 2 or 3 times the original price...!!
Those of you who know of me, know I travel frequently worldwide for work and back and forth between London and Paris on a regular basis and have great SAs in Selfridges and FSH. So I am totally puzzled by this situation and none of my friends nor my SAs can explain this, can you?

For example, check out Portero Luxury or Milan Station (Hong Kong is now selling both brand new in box plus vintage), and I am sure there are others. To me the prices are over the top---as in higher than at a regular Hermes boutique freestanding or at Selfridges.

So how and why? Merci beaucoup.

mayr

Dec 7, 2011
I've always wondered that :confused1: I think maybe they're regulars or maybe they buy from other re-sellers and re-sell them LOL :P

ThingumyPoppy

Love&Addiction
O.G.
Sep 12, 2010
Scandinavia
Probably the answer is in the game of Hermes. The resellers are regular (vip?) customers and get what really is availible. In front of more normal customers the stores "pretend" that there is nothing in stock... Even thoug the bags are not massproduced Hermes is not exactly out of them, they can produce as many as they want to sell... It's all in the game and idea of the business I think and not so much a mystery. The stock goes to the regulars/resellers and Hermes wants us to believe that the bags are very rare. In the same time they seem to be able to get you exactly what you want very fast if they think you are important enough, so they are not that much out of stock that they want people to believe...

toujours*chic

PAID TO HAVE AN OPINION
O.G.
Mar 16, 2007
Silk Nirvana
Could also be the economy- people who bought them in the boutiques regret the purchase/need the money and do not want to try to resell themselves so they turn to online resellers.

Some resellers also have connections with airline employees, etc. who travel abroad and are able to find bags in locations such as South America, the far east, etc. If you get the chance, you might want to pick up Michael *******'s "Bringing Home the Birkin"- it is a fun read and he tells of his adventures travelling around the world in search of these elusive bags.

lilith1

Mar 7, 2011
East Coast
I discussed the exact topic with my SA. She readily admitted that they know about resellers, and that they are aware that the top resellers have people all over the world out buying for them. That is why they are supposedly only allowed to sell one Birkin/Kelly per season per person. However, if you are a reseller with 20 people out buying for you than you can acquire a lot of bags.

serene

Vintage since '08
O.G.
Mar 23, 2008
York
just feels so wrong.. :nogood: maybe we should get those vip people as our new best friends, and pay them a little more than what the bag costs (but still less than what the resellers sell them for!) to be able to get them as easily as the resellers :biggrin: now that's a plan!

kelly girl

O.G.
Sep 20, 2008
It isn't only new bags that resellers are listing at astronomical prices; I've seen bags on "Eb" that are five or more years old with scuffs, scratches to the hardware, color loss, etc. that are selling for well above Hermes current retail prices.

birkel

O.G.
Jan 17, 2009
That is so true I mean I know they have a network of buyers but come on some bags are rare beyond rare H can track the original buyer right I mean pink matte croc !!!!!! Special orders they could try harder you know !!!!!!!

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
That is so true I mean I know they have a network of buyers but come on some bags are rare beyond rare H can track the original buyer right I mean pink matte croc !!!!!! Special orders they could try harder you know !!!!!!!
ITA!!! Well said birkel :yes:

Sweetyqbk

Sep 1, 2011
NYC
www.luxblonde.com
If you notice the resellers mark up the price like crazy. For instance the Birkin last I checked retails 10k at my local H store. Online they are 14-18 for a common color.

mistikat

Bling!
O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
Why would they bother tracking buyers and resellers at all?

Once you've bought something, it's yours to do with as you please. Why should any brand be busy tracking what you do with it?

I guess I don't understand the fury here. People buy and resell all the time. The prices paid are based on what the market will bear. If people didn't pay thousands over retail, sellers would not be able to get those prices - simple.

Look at Ebay or any consignment shop. Filled with items being sold on. Why should Hermes be any different?

birkel

O.G.
Jan 17, 2009

Once you've bought something, it's yours to do with as you please. Why should any brand be busy tracking what you do with it?

I guess I don't understand the fury here. People buy and resell all the time. The prices paid are based on what the market will bear. If people didn't pay thousands over retail, sellers would not be able to get those prices - simple.

Look at Ebay or any consignment shop. Filled with items being sold on. Why should Hermes be any different?
Oooo I totally agree but they care and they mind if they didn't why come up with the only one birkin/Kelly per year. Also I think the issue comes when good costumers who buy bags for personal use get rejected and the available bags
come up in the resale market it feels like H has many issues with resellers but keeps fueling them !!! I'm sorry mistikat but I just can't agree with the fact that they don't observe things a little more I mean if they make it hard to order check out the costumer if the bag shows up the next morning on eBay don't sell again !!! Because an unsure true buyer of croc or diamond bags does not mind the money that much if the bag does not work they return it for store credit. And yes Resellers might also have buyers but honestly resellers keep buying Themselves !! So I think they could just try screening a bit more . Anyway that's my opinion and as always .hope it helps.birkel.

poptarts

O.G.
Aug 21, 2007
mistikat said:

I agree with you people have the freedom to do what they like with their own property. I think most people are just expressing frustrations because there are people who truly love the brand and wants something special for themselves, but have to wait a long time because bags aren't as available due to high demand but yet they pop up from resellers all the time. I'm cool with the whole demand/supply thing and it's certainly legal. Resellers also put in their time to build relationships in order to acquire bags so it's understandable to charge a premium, I think most of us wouldn't mind a slight up charge for something we really love; but you can't expect people not to express their disgust when a reseller charges $20K more for a croc Birkin.

Speaking of tracking, from what I've been told, H actually have people monitoring eBay activities all the time and apparently there are ways to track certain bags for its original origin or buyer. When I was in Paris last year, my SA told me that some stores have been declined of the quantity of Bs and Ks they had originally requested because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.