how closely are you looking at hw

1. I have a 3rd grader who gets a ton of hw nightly, parents also have to sign everything... initial each worksheet, sign the agenda, sign the reading log, sign 2 different spelling test; I have contemplated getting a rubber stamp of my signature.

As parents, are you reviewing to make sure all the answers are correct or just seeing if the assignment its completed? Personally I only check for completion, I feel it is her responsibility to complete the hw accurately, and ask for help if she is having difficulty, or needs a concept explained to her. She is a very good student, well behaved and always gets A's and B's. I review her tests and if she scores below 80%, I have her practice the areas in which she has difficulty. Unfortunately, the hubs disagrees with me and thinks I should be checking to make sure everything is correct. At what age do you stop checking the hw, and start making them accountable for doing it right?

2. At my children's school, parents are responsible for making sure that homework is correct. My DD is in third grade too and her teacher has told her that if the work is incorrect, it just comes back home for corrections (and then you risk getting behind because you have to correct the previous HW, while still getting all of the current work done.)

3. My eldest is in 4th grade and we check for completion and to see if it is correctly (and NEATLY!) done. This isn't required by the school but we do it to basically make ourselves feel better, haha.

4. My son is in Kinder, but he's been in school for the past two years (Nursery and Pre-K), and either I or my husband, sit with my son every night to make sure it's done completely and accurately.

I will continue to do this as much as I can. I believe it's the parent's responsbility to help with homework if a child does not understand a subject.

5. I think more parents should be reviewing homework. Maybe they could learn a thing or two. My Facebook feed is FULL of basic grammatical errors. :graucho:;)

6. Interesting...we have been told not to correct HW because the assignments are given to make sure the students understand what they are being taught so the teachers want to see the work done by the kids themselves (not their parents) and any mistakes will help them identify what they need to review in class. We do have to sign the assignment book for my youngest (4th grade) but that's just for completion, not corrections, and my oldest (middle school) is pretty much on his own! At this point I'll help quiz him when he has a test etc but that's about it (and thank goodness because I barely understand his math level anymore lol)!

7. School is not only about teaching children the raw material, but about self motivation, pride in their work, responsibility and the consequences of the actions...the whole point of grades. JMHO, but checking HM should be limited. Of course, for completion, neatness and help when needed, but this extensive over involvement, and worse forced over involvement actually hurts the children in the long run.

This is a bit of a bird walk, but since the long nights has been brought up...I have to 'talk' about excessive HM....it's long, sorry.

Homework and especially the excessive amounts of HW that is so prevalent today is a subject close to my heart.

In 2006 Duke did a lot of research into homework, including their own research and reviewing other studies. They overwhelming realized and reported the too much homework is actually counter productive. Their recommendations, which have been adopted by the NPTA, and other educational organizations, including several school districts is a maximum of 20 minutes in 1st grade and 10 minutes additional for each grade level; including 20 minutes of SSR (silent sustained reading) beginning in 4 th grade. So for example a fourth grader sound be reading for 20 minutes and actual HW for 30 minutes.

My DS (now 12) had such massive, ridiculous amounts of HW in fourth grade. It started out about 2 hours, then when it climbed to almost 3 hours I started doing my own research, I was ashamed that I didn't do so earlier. I tried to speak to the teacher and got no where, so I went to the principal, by that point we were reaching almost 4 hours. I say we because with 4 hours of homework, I had to be actively involved or it would never been completed.

There was the additional issue that the teacher was assigning so much homework it wasn't properly graded, one example was a characterization/plot book they created (100% completed at home) for Island of the Blue Dolphin, in the end, it was almost 80 pages. It was completed in 2 weeks; that is over 7 pages a night. All hand written and drawn (no worksheets). This was in addition to, of course, spelling, math & SSR every night, with science and social studies mainly alternating night, but occasionally both...PLUS this was during science fair time, so they need to be working on that, as well. Thankfully, my son adored the book and it become a labor of love for him and I was quite proud of him for just completing it, let alone it was quite good and you could easily tell a lot of time and effort was taken. When it was returned no one mark was made in the book, except 72% C- on the title page. Needless to say he was extremely upset, not just at the grade...but especially at the lack of any feedback of where he went wrong.

Armed with a stack of graded papers (including the book, but with the title page, with the grade, removed) and a homework list (teacher produced) from 1 single day in the class (from during the time the book was being done), I headed in to the meeting with the principal.

First I handed her the homework list, she read it and said, I think this is very reasonable for...a weeks homework. She audible gulped when I said, "Yes it would be, for a week, this is for one night." We discussed that for awhile, with her defending the teacher. Then I handed her the book, remember I kept the title page with the grade out, so it looked like it was ready to turn in...she said, "Well, look at this; I don't know why you're concerned, he seems to be handling the work well...look how nice this book is. I responded, "Thank you, he loved the book, so he put a lot of work in to it." She smiled and said, "You can really tell, you should be proud. He has forgotten the title page though, have him do that and I think he is looking at a solid A." She was beaming and smug as she continued, "Well, it may be a lot of work, but it's hard to argue with results." I stared at her and said, "Oh, this has been graded..." and I handed her the title sheet. She frantically began flipping through the book..."but this isn't graded, did he re-do it?"...."Nope, that is the way it was returned" The color from her face drained. Even so she defended the teacher and said, "well I don't really know what the teacher saw wrong, but...." I cut her off and said, "That is the point, neither do I, and more important...neither does my son."

The meeting went down hill from there...when I left she tried to keep the papers I had brought...I took them with me and from the parking lot called the school district. I am proud to say our school district has now adopted the guidelines from the Duke study.

It is still a struggle. Now in 7th grade, my son was struggling the first 2 weeks with amount of work from Algebra. The teacher was assigning about 40 problems each night. Even saying 1 minute per probably, that would be 40 minutes, but realistically it was more. This time I only waited 2 1/2 weeks and when it hit 48 problems and almost 90 minutes one night, I e-mailed. When she didn't respond within a week, I called the counselor. The next day and since homework has been 16-20 problems...thank you.

Just wanted to add that my son knows nothing about any of this as I didn't want to undermine his respect for his teachers.

ETA:

lol...I started this post and then got distracted...in the meantime:
    Just what I was talking about :smile:

8. I do make sure the homework is completed, but for the most part, I don't correct errors. If i notice a lot of mistakes, I'll ask them to review it again, or get their books out to go over the concept. My son is in 1st grade and my daughter is in 3rd. I think the whole point of homework is to reinforce what they are learning in school, so if there are mistakes, the teacher knows what areas need additional going over. What would be the point of parents correcting homework and everyone coming in with everything right on the paper but maybe still needing help on some of it. Also, many patents don't even know the correct answers themselves, it's been over 30 yrs since I've done 3rd grade math.

9. This is my approach with my children, I do sign off on homework, and if I see something that needs to be corrected I give them the hw back and say "you need to double check your work". I don't point out what's wrong, because I feel like that's their responsibility. Doing that has gotten them in the habit of double checking quizzes and test as well as class work. Now when I'm signing off on work they hate to go back and make corrections so its usually right when they bring it to me.

10. That's a terrible story twinkletink! Your son must have been so upset :sad: I'm so glad you were able reach the district. Have you heard of Race To Nowhere? It's an amazing movie/movement (racetonowhere.com).

11. Wow. Just plain WOW. I cannot believe the amount of homework some districts are assigning. I am grateful for our school in that it is very highly ranked (test scores are high), the teachers are very caring and involved, my children are learning well and thoroughly and are testing well, and there is minimal homework. My DD is in third grade and often has no homework at all, although we do have her signed up for the online site Extra Math and she spends 5-10 minutes on that each day after school (she is quite good in math, but gets all flustered on tests. This website gives time limits for each problem, and she is getting much better dealing with the perceived "pressure" of needing to answer in time). Indeed, my 5th and 7th grade sons have little homework, too, and yet they are reading well above grade level, testing well in all subjects and still like attending school (which is critical, IMO).

But to answer the original question, I sign an agenda for my 3rd grade and 5th grade children each evening, and I check off each thing I see written in it after confirming that it is/was done. Part of them learning to be organized and responsible is writing things down so they do not forget work, so if it isn't written in the agenda I cannot and do not check it. If it is not completed, they live with the consequences. I don't want to be harsh, but my 7th grade son often did not write things down, often forgot work and I was jumping through hoops trying to make sure he remembered what he needed and was completing his assignments. I want my other children to learn good habits so things don't get to that point!

I do not usually correct all homework, although if I see a glaring error I do review the material with them to make sure they understand it.

12. my son is in grade 1 and yes I checked that he did his homework completely, correctly and neatly. of course he is still in the learning stage but I do tell him please finish this by yourself etc so he can learn how to handle this.

13. Before I started to home school I would check hw thoroughly. I agree that the amount of homework that comes home from some schools is a bit much. At our local school the tearchers were pressured to stick to a certain time frame and never had enough time to properly teach new concepts. The homework was a way of hoping the parents would fill in where the teachers couldn't. The students never had the oppourtunity to master new skills and concepts. I find home school to be the opposite. Plus, there is no need for homework. Home school is working out very well for us now. I am hoping to move to a better school district and let my children return to a traditional school. When they do I will continue to check homework thoroughly.

14. I wanted to be a bit clearer. While I check my son's homework, I do not correct. If I see errors, I'll ask him to double-check and he usually finds the error's himself.

15. That is excellent!