How can this be right?!

Ouch.....a negative? sounds a little harsh to me...We really don't know exactly what was said in the email and it doesn't sound like the seller was being rude or anything..Just because item was sold doesn't necessarily mean it was listed in multiple places - I relisted an item that was already sold once - just clicked on the wrong listing?? I did notice and pull before anybody bid on it but I'd hate to think that somebody would have given me neg.. for an honest mistake..We're all human and mistakes do happen...Leave a neutral - that way other potential buyers will have warning and if trend develops then that would be a different situation..I don't think negs. should be given out lightly...reserve them for the sellers that truly deserve it...

I am still confused as to why negative feedback is unacceptable to many people.

In my eyes, negatives are for people who sell fakes and list them as authentic; advertise one bag and ship another; people who don't ship and don't refund.

To me, you were disappointed - but you weren't left with a major headache to deal with.

Actually, it was a headache. This gift was for my husband for Valentines Day--my husband collects vintage Jaguars...and I managed to find him an accessories he's hunted for for years. I couldn't believe my luck...after all the time spent scouring the internet and auctions to find one on ebay was a miracle more or less.

I can admit that I'm looking at things with a cooler head this morning...but I am still dead set on leaving negative feedback.

The situation is this...the item was listed on a 7 day auction with a BIN option. I hate auctions when it's a "must have" item and opted to do the BIN on day 4. I paid immediately.

If this man made an honest mistake--fine--and I could see this being the case if it had been a 22 day BIN, or just stocked in his store...but the fact that piece was listed auction style for a whooping 4 days when I bought only to find that "oops it's gone" screams to me of shady. Not to mention that I had to request a refund that wasn't automatically forthcoming along with this e-mail....the refund arrived 6 hours after the initial e-mail.

I don't believe that any seller should do a "stock listing"...each item should be accounted for being going up for sale and held until the completion of the auction -- this situation was completely and utterly avoidable by using common sense.

And yes, I do realize that a negative is harsh--that this very well may be how the seller supports his family, ya-de-ya...but the thing is...that is all the more reason why this shouldn't have happened. If it's my job to sell things, I'm making sure I'm on top of that. On personal level, if I were incompetent at my job, I'd be fired...forget negative feedback, that would be a walk in the park compared to real world consequences.

I can see everyone's POV...but at the end of the day, this is my experience with this seller and my feedback will accurately reflect that. Period.

BTW...just looked up the sellers listing...

The item I "bought" that was unavailable is still listed, at a higher price point, and says above "LAST ONE"...

Now tell me...he's not shady and this was human error.

The item I "bought" that was unavailable is still listed, at a higher price point, and says above "LAST ONE"...

I almost responded to your post to tell you that a negative was a little too harsh, seeing as the seller was courteous enough to promptly refund your money, albeit he made a mistake.

Having read this last post, however... LEAVE THE NEGATIVE!!! That is not only shady, but I think it is also against eBay's policies, if I am not mistaken. Leave the negative, girl, and report him to eBay explaining what he did. No good!!!

Ok, THIS is what I've been trying to articulate all along and having such a hard time with apparently.

The buyer could feel that something was amiss. The seller did not behave like a person who HONESTLY made a mistake. Granted, this is often a judgment call, but based on the behavior the buyer told us about, that was the buyer's sense, and I heard what she was saying about it.

I was trying to say that I have been in similar situations, and my gut just tells me the person is lying. The girl who told me she was "supporting her family" was lying in my opinion. I only wrote that to try and illustrate the things that people say when they are LYING and trying to convince others that they are being honest. In the final analysis, the seller I referred to closed her account because she was lying.

Therefore, I feel strongly that when I myself feel in my GUT that the seller is lying to me somehow, or behaving in a way that is not in accordance with honest behavior, I do give a negative, and I had a very hard time understanding why so many people disagreed.

The OP had a similar experience. The seller behaved in ways that gave away shady motivations from the get-go. I read that in everything she wrote, and I am glad that she posted the outcome, as she felt something was amiss, and was planning on giving a negatve.

I would suggest also REPORTING this activity to ebay, OP.
I'm SO sorry this happened to you, and I hope that you are able to find something equally wonderful for your hubby in the future.

Wow.. so shady. If there's anyway you can squeeze that into the neg feedback to let other buyers know what he's done, that would be ideal!!

"Sold me xx for too low, claimed sold to someone else, now has relisted at higher price--shady seller"

Actually, it was a headache. This gift was for my husband for Valentines Day--my husband collects vintage Jaguars...and I managed to find him an accessories he's hunted for for years. I couldn't believe my luck...after all the time spent scouring the internet and auctions to find one on ebay was a miracle more or less.

I can admit that I'm looking at things with a cooler head this morning...but I am still dead set on leaving negative feedback.

The situation is this...the item was listed on a 7 day auction with a BIN option. I hate auctions when it's a "must have" item and opted to do the BIN on day 4. I paid immediately.

If this man made an honest mistake--fine--and I could see this being the case if it had been a 22 day BIN, or just stocked in his store...but the fact that piece was listed auction style for a whooping 4 days when I bought only to find that "oops it's gone" screams to me of shady. Not to mention that I had to request a refund that wasn't automatically forthcoming along with this e-mail....the refund arrived 6 hours after the initial e-mail.

I don't believe that any seller should do a "stock listing"...each item should be accounted for being going up for sale and held until the completion of the auction -- this situation was completely and utterly avoidable by using common sense.

And yes, I do realize that a negative is harsh--that this very well may be how the seller supports his family, ya-de-ya...but the thing is...that is all the more reason why this shouldn't have happened. If it's my job to sell things, I'm making sure I'm on top of that. On personal level, if I were incompetent at my job, I'd be fired...forget negative feedback, that would be a walk in the park compared to real world consequences.

I can see everyone's POV...but at the end of the day, this is my experience with this seller and my feedback will accurately reflect that. Period.

I left a couple negatives a few years ago on Half.com when I got tired of purchasing items only to find they had been sold elsewhere. The first couple times I chalked it up to just human error and then when it continued I realized that they just don't care, they figure they can give you an 'oops' email and that's that. It's extremely frustrating and I don't blame you for wanting to leave a negative, especially since the item is still listed. If you don't have it, don't list it.

You know, I've seen so many sellers complain in this forum that they cannot leave negative feedback anymore for non-paying bidders so that other sellers can be warned. A non-performing seller is just as frustrating and disappointing.

Linda

Ah, I see. I didn't know that the seller only sent you an abbreviated, unclear message about the item already being sold. Since he didn't automatically refund your money right away and didn't offer a reasonable explanation (and because of the relist, of course), I do believe a negative is in order.

Try to avoid personal remarks like "shady," though, since your feedback comment -- and the truth behind all your problems with the seller -- could be removed. :yes:

I tried to e-mail the seller last night to express my discontent along with my request for the refund...I haven't even received a reply.

I won't use the word "shady" but I will use the word fraudulent.

I tried to e-mail the seller last night to express my discontent along with my request for the refund...I haven't even received a reply.

I won't use the word "shady" but I will use the word fraudulent.

I don't know that I would use fraudulent either, you have to be careful about language used. I would say something like 'won auction and was told item was not avail., only to find it listed again at a higher price' or something along those lines. Try to be as professional and factual as you can or people will just overlook your feedback.

I forget if you've mentioned this, did he ask you to agree to mutually cancel the transaction so he can get his final fees back? I wouldn't agree. I also think he may be able to have your feedback removed if you agree to cancel.

Linda