How can she do this?

allie06nd

Mar 18, 2008
Something that's been bothering me for a long time...Ebay seller Julia Runway Fashions is selling Balenciaga giant weekender bags for $2,500! Even if you go to Barney's or the Balenciaga website itself (which allows online shopping for US customers), it's only like $2,000. WTH? How can she do this and make money? Who in their right mind would pay $500 over retail value?

Am I missing something?

Most likely someone who isn't near a Barney's and doesn't like to order online. Is there a waiting list for this particular style? If so, that answers your question right there. Or, these people obviously don't realize that it's $500 cheaper, and to not even be 100% sure it's authentic—well, that's just silly.

You should check out the seller naturalgasgirl. She hikes the prices way up. Anything that is less than retail she got on sale for sure, and there are some things she bought for retail price and then just hikes it up, like $660 shoes for $900.

I've looked through a lot of Julia's items, and they're all really expensive. What boggles my mind is that she's a powerseller, so obviously there are some people out there who are falling for it. Who would buy a bag off ebay and NOT make sure they're getting a good deal on it? Why use ebay otherwise? And it's not like this style is particularly hard to come by either. They had several of them a couple months ago when I went to Barney's...

One of my other ebay seller buddies was asking me about her the other day too. I have no idea. What I REALLY can't figure out is how she charges more than retail for say Marni dresses that are out of season. Us Marni hoarders, if we wanted something odds are we would have bought it on sale already or have asked another seller about it. I've looked through her feedback and none of the usual Marni girls shop from her, so I think that says something.

I've looked through a lot of Julia's items, and they're all really expensive. What boggles my mind is that she's a powerseller, so obviously there are some people out there who are falling for it. Who would buy a bag off ebay and NOT make sure they're getting a good deal on it? Why use ebay otherwise? And it's not like this style is particularly hard to come by either. They had several of them a couple months ago when I went to Barney's...

One thing I think of is international, there are some products/prices where the cost on eBay is cheaper than buying locally if they can at all.

Those prices are totally ridiculous. Half her stuff (the B bags anyway) are stock photos, so I doubt she even has all the bags she lists there. Probably would have to "order" them. I have been seeing her auctions (her "store" rather) for a long time and wondering who in their right mind would pay those crazy,high prices for stuff you can buy elsewhere for half or less??:nogood:

I'm so glad this was posted! I've seen her stuff over time and I always gasp over the prices. She sometimes has what I'm looking for so I'll see her stuff. But never buy at those prices...

You should check out the seller naturalgasgirl. She hikes the prices way up. Anything that is less than retail she got on sale for sure, and there are some things she bought for retail price and then just hikes it up, like $660 shoes for $900.

I notice that too! :wtf:
The prices are especially ridiculous during the sale season when she adds new 'styles' that were half-price at Saks but $300 over retail in her store.

Also, sellers like her buy up desired styles leaving none for us! But she does provide a service to buyers who can't get to a store or order online.

they have to be way up there with paypal and ebay fees now...lol

j/k... but how can you make any money.... if they take so damn much.

are people actually buying them at a 500.00 mark-up...?

Asa seller, you can sell items for whatever you want......alot of things can be included in the price...not only shipping and fees incurred, but she may have high overhead...rent etc.
She is a good and honest seller and more power to her.......people have the chooice to buy from her or not...a businesswoman with impeccable customer service.
If you look around ebay, you will see hermes bags listed at $50,000. THATS HIGH!