How can I make this dress more casual? Is it possible?

kara_n

Feb 7, 2008
Ok so there is a Stella McCartney sequin sweater dress I have loved for ages but it sold out in my size right away. The original one I wanted was a blushy tone one that was seen on Blake Lively in GG, Faith Hill wore it and so did Heidi Montag.

So i can't find it in my size now even online, and I was debating whether or not to get the silver version that came out that had different sleeves, but everyone told me it was too much money for what it was , $1200.

So I find this Victoria's Secret one for $80..now keep in mind it is different, much more sparkly, and has lace and is more fitted, so on. It's like a rose gold color sort of.

I still like it though even if it's not that close to the original one I wanted.

NOW on to the pictures. i have attached some of my dress, modeling shot from VS, and my inspiration from the original dress worn by Blake.

How can I make this more casual as it is soooo sparkly. Is it possible?

My friend suggested brown textured ribbed tights, and brown boots.

Others say to wear a cardigan open and a small belt.

I really don't know, any ideas? Or is it strictly a night-out dress?

thanks...

Attachments

• sequindress.JPG
    sequindress.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 537
  • vssequin.JPG
    vssequin.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 474
  • spread.JPG
    spread.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,008
i think blake's style made it look very casual-chic. why not copy her style? pair it with a boyfriend blazer and tights. and also i noticed, blake's dress is more loose hence make it appear more casual compared to the VS model which is very skin tight.

I think the dress looks tight which makes it look more of a night dress. But perhaps if it is worn with a jacket, woollen tights, maybe a massive woollen snood or scarf might dress it down enough for day (covering the chest area).

I am having a similar issue to you, last week, I bought a sequin DKNY t shirt - its lovely, but I want to be able to wear it during the day. I am going to layer it under cardigans and under other tops - hopefully, i can pull it off! :smile:

Reactions: marie132
since the fabric is so thin you would need to pair it with chunkier more textured fabrics, which could be tricky. the easiest way to make it more casual would be to cover the sleeves since they are seqiuned, a jacket like Blakes is a good idea. Also think about depending on the fit layer a thick (i would say white or cream bc of the bottom trim) sweater over the top to make it look like a dressy skirt or a woolen skirt to cover the bottom. ive done that a few times and got awesome looks

Reactions: marie132
I love Blake's outfit there. The VS dress is cute, but it's a harder dress to make more casual IMO because it is tight and the bust area is defined, drawing attention there. The suggestions given are good - adding a jacket or a cardigan will definitely help, as well wearing a scarf. Wearing it with tights or flats will also make it look less dressy.

i would try black wool plain tights, and suede slouchy boots/booties and a blazer. i think the key is the shoes...something like a pair of Isabel Marant dicker boots or look alike would work wonders.
and you can see the gossip girl's dress is loose fit.....and it makes a difference as well.

I think the dress looks tight which makes it look more of a night dress. But perhaps if it is worn with a jacket, woollen tights, maybe a massive woollen snood or scarf might dress it down enough for day (covering the chest area).

I am having a similar issue to you, last week, I bought a sequin DKNY t shirt - its lovely, but I want to be able to wear it during the day. I am going to layer it under cardigans and under other tops - hopefully, i can pull it off! :smile:
IMG_2400.jpg

image from: http://www.stylescrapbook.com