How can I make my husband understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have just read Nordy's girl's comment and totally agree with that one too... you both need a 'fun money' account where you can save up and buy a treat for yourself - whatever you like, no questions asked.

I don't think he will understand that buying LV is an investment. For me buying LV is never an investment unless you buy LE because you have a chance to sell it later with higher value than when you first buy it. However, in your case, I think it's about your love on LV bag. This is how you have to explain it to him. At first my DH didn't understand me either why I spent so much money on expensive bags. But then he realized that people obssess in different stuff and that's how they spend money on different things. If you have spare money, and it won't hurt your family's financial in short and long run, you can buy your LVs.

Just buy it if you want it and you have the money for it. You are the one supporting the both of you, so if you can fully pay all of your bills and have money left over and you have some money saved, he really has no grounds to say anything. If he doesn't like it, he needs to get a job and stop wasting his time on hockey and drums. They are clearly not paying the bills, so he needs to put his energy into something that will if he is so worried about money. This is just like the kids that whine and complain that mommy won't buy them a Nintendo but buys herself a handbag. Well guess what, when you grow up and get a job you can buy whatever you want to. Until you do so, you will just have to make do with what others buy for you.

Your hubby has a pretty sweet deal, not working and just doing his hobbies. He is plain stupid to complain and risk losing that.

wait - you work and bring home all of the money and yet he has control of the money?

I would have no problem telling my dh what i was buying with the money, as long as you're generally responsible with your finances. Especially considering his toys, he has no place to tell you what to do with your (shared) money. Jmo

ita!

My dh and I both work and both have our own money---so I don't ask him for anything pretty much. When it comes to my birthday, even, I always buy my own gift because I usually want a new bag and only once he bought me a pochette. And he was shocked at the price of a pochette! Can you believe that Ladies!! He thought the pochette price was insane (and I thought it was reasonable). After that I just told him I would buy my own gifts. I show him the things that I buy but I never tell him the price. And he has learned not to ask.

It's hard when you have a joint account. If I'm married, I think I'll have a joint account and a separate account for myself so if I want to treat myself, my husband won't know about it. :biggrin: Some men just don't understand our obsessions so no point of justifying it to them.

When I bought my first LV (it's just a speedy 25), I told my bf and we got into such a heated argument that we almost broke up. After that I just buy whatever I want, I just don't tell him about it. They just magically show up. :graucho:

My boy didn't understand either, for the longest time. But he's come around the past few years. (... only because the bags were cheaper than the alternative - jewelry - but he's good in that department too.)

Here's the thing... If you take care of it, you can use a quality bag for a couple of years and then sell it for almost what you paid for it. Or you can buy lower quality bags that you throw away after six months. I made the jump to LV epi myself many years ago because I was tired of having to replace bags every six months. That was 20 years ago and I still wear those epi bags. Promise.

Does he ever look at ebay? (I know. Everybody does except my hubby.) You can show him the values and sales of pre-owned bags.

Good luck!

We have one account, we just saw it as how things were done.

My husband and I have a joint account and I have a separate shopping account. Early in our marriage I tried the one account thing and that was not working. We each work full time and I refuse to be told I cannot buy something. Now I respect our priorities and make sure bills are paid and all that, but I do save money toward my LV purchases and even sell some other designer bags I have that I no longer carry to put toward a new LV. What settled our $$ differences is an allowance. Every payday, we pay ourselves first and this is part of what I save. Now I don't just outright make a big purchase on LV unless it is for XMas, Bday, MDay or VDay and this type of purchase is discussed prior. All other purchases (LV) I save up for and buy when I have all the $$. We also have 3 kids (well 1 is 21). Now my husband makes maybe one big purchase per year and I am ok with that. Hope this gives you some ideas.

It's hard when you have a joint account. If I'm married, I think I'll have a joint account and a separate account for myself so if I want to treat myself, my husband won't know about it. :biggrin: Some men just don't understand our obsessions so no point of justifying it to them.

When I bought my first LV (it's just a speedy 25), I told my bf and we got into such a heated argument that we almost broke up. After that I just buy whatever I want, I just don't tell him about it. They just magically show up. :graucho:

totally agree
GET YOUR OWN ACCOUNT! Absolutely!!!!

OP let us know how it's going. I'm wondering how this will turn out.

If you direct deposit your check, I agree with the others....put aside some fun money in your own account. Maybe if you agree that the same amount could be put in an account for each of you, your DH will go for it and you won't have to make a big deal out of this.

I also agree with the others...my DH has NO idea how much my bags and accessories cost. He always thinks they cost way less. Stopping telling your husband.

When I purchased my first LV (only 5-6 years ago), even though it was "my" money, I still felt really guilty spending so much on one item. Didn't even tell DH about it and just gradually/discreetly merged my gorgeous bag into daily life ;) but he found out eventually, got mad (well more disappointed), got over it and we moved on. However, now its been a few years and my collection/addiction has grown, and he has finally seen the value of an LV bag, even to the point where he purchased one for me for my b'day last year! He said he sees how much I take care of them and is happy that I'm not out buying dozens of rubbishy bags from here, there and everywhere that clutter the house :P he's so accepting now that he even gave up one of his cupboards in order that I could have a purse closet!

I'm not saying that its totally smooth sailing, still have to be discreet and careful with new purchases.....my birthday is coming up and already my DH is prepared for his annual trip to LV :woohoo: (Sunset Blvd in Rose Florentin)

I say just given him time. :greengrin: or......... just ignore!

Just buy it if you want it and you have the money for it. You are the one supporting the both of you, so if you can fully pay all of your bills and have money left over and you have some money saved, he really has no grounds to say anything. If he doesn't like it, he needs to get a job and stop wasting his time on hockey and drums. They are clearly not paying the bills, so he needs to put his energy into something that will if he is so worried about money. This is just like the kids that whine and complain that mommy won't buy them a Nintendo but buys herself a handbag. Well guess what, when you grow up and get a job you can buy whatever you want to. Until you do so, you will just have to make do with what others buy for you.

Your hubby has a pretty sweet deal, not working and just doing his hobbies. He is plain stupid to complain and risk losing that.

:true:Sadly, that's how I feel as well, but didn't have the voice to express my opinion because I was still getting over the shock that he forbade you to use your money to buy yourself a pretty LV.

Status
Not open for further replies.