How can I make my calves smaller?

i heard the same thing about botox. i really want to know if it really works, if anyone has done it please let us know the results. i'm too afraid of needles to try it.

It depends. Are they larger due to fat or muscle. If the former, cardio will help the most. Whether it be pilates, swimming, eliptical trainer, even running. Repetitive activities like running and biking don't typically enlarge the muscle, so running should be fine. Also, you can't target fat loss, so calf raises or exercises that focus on the calves will do no more...aside from the normal cardio workout you'd get from it.
Even if they're a bit too musclely cardio will help, but not as much. It might just be a genetics thing.
Oh, and as a guy, I find it attractive when a girl has muscular calves. Don't know if that helps with your worries or not ;)

I have the same problem. My calves are muscular and I hate it. People always ask me how many miles I jog a day. I tell them I never measured the distance from my house to the mailbox. :P I hate running/jogging. I wish they weren't so muscular. =(((

And if all else fails a shot at the botox thing might work. I've heard of a surgery pioneered in Korea where they cut a nerve that runs to the calve in order to atrophy it. It's not something I'd go for, but hey, everyone is different.

yup. i heard it works too! it stops the muscles from growing. that's all. but i'm still afraid to do it.

i read this article in W that said that there are no surgeries for calves.. i really hate my calves too but i don't think its worth going under the knife.. i remember the article saying something about you can't get lipo in taht area because most of the time it is muscle

i would be too scared to consider something that extreme cause if something goes wrong in any type of procedure its a really really big risk you are taking cause your calf muscles are essential to walking (duh right)

but i've seen and heard there are lots of ways to wear skirts and shorts that can make your calves less noticable.. you can actually alter boots to make them bigger.. or wear loose leg warmers.. i'd definitely stay away from fitted boots (even if you can find one that fits you) or fitted leg warmers.. but i am def going to try pilates now.. thanks!

stretching and also using sauna wraps to cure bloating

but what my korean friends do.. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BTW is they use pan rollers to roll their calves at night and also they pinch each other's calf muscle to make it smaller

Don't ask me why... I went on a trip with them and that's what they do at night...

for me stretching really helps and my friend who does yoga have developed some long lean muscles...

I was a swimmer during my puberty years and I'm naturally the tall lean type so I don't really have this problem

but if you are still during your developing years do swim, its a great way to sculpt your body

i feel all your pain:crybaby:i too have the same problem, pretty severly i might add because im very small everywhere else, not to mention pretty dam short. even my thighs look disproportionate to my calves! i HATE it! i cant wear boots that are even the littlest bit taller because of this, it sucks so bad.

i used to think it was all my years of figure skating, dancing, swimming, soccer and later running, stairstepping, weight training etc. any kind of physical activity/sports/exercise, you name it i did it. i want to blame that just to feel like its not genetic and *maybe* i can do something about it,but i have a feeling its genetic. ppl who have participated in as much sports and exercise like me, ppl who are lifelong athletes like me....not all of them have this problem. so it CANT be all the sports....

i should double up on the stretching and pilates and see what happens. i had really given up years ago, .but it still bothers the **** outta me...:yucky:

I have the muscular calf thing too! I especially get it when I wear and walk around in high heels or flats. Wierd, hunh?

I have to agree with previous posts that stretching out the calves is essential. I stretch it after a short warm-up and also post cardio workout.
I get so paranoid that I also stretch thoroughly before going to bed almost every night.

But, for me, it's genetic too. Since I like to run long distance, they certainly won't be shrinking anytime soon. Just trying to make them more toned and streamlined-looking :smile:

so running will make your calves bigger?? what about the eliptical machines??

elipitcal machines shouldbe finebut make sure you keep your heels down and don't push with your toes

I wouldn't advise the stepper as people tend to cheat by lifting the heels and this means you are specifically working the calves I'd also say no to step classes

I have a friend who is a trainer for a professional sports team. He said that it is genetic and your muscles have memory so every time you work them at all the muscles come right back. The ladies that said stretching helps are right. That will elongate the muscles. I wear high heels every day and read in some magazine that heels contribute to big calves. Although, I'm not giving them up because they make your legs look better. I guess we just need to keep the rest of the legs slim so they don't look fat as well.:yucky:

Practice pointing your toes and flexing your feet alternatively. Also face your kitchen counter on flat feet and do rises (these are called releves - phonetic = rell e vay), a ballet move.

If you have naturally large calves, there's probably nothing you can do, but if it's extra fat, toning up your calves will help. Good luck!