How can I know that a bag bought from LV store is real???

adriana89

Haven't met you yet
Sep 19, 2008
Reading twinkerbell1986's story (http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-shopping/lv-sells-fakes-566706.html) left me terrified!! Is it really possible that LV store can sell fake bags?? Can SA really sneak in a fake A grade bag into the store and sell it as a real one?? None of us pay hundreds or thousands of $€£ to be left with a counterfeit!!

The only fake bags I've seen were visibly fake and poorly made and you didn’t need to be an expert to notice that. How well are those A grade replicas made? Are they that good to be mistaken as a real deal??

And what about returns; I mean it's good that you can exchange a bag if you don't like it, but what does LV do with it after you return it? Do they check it if it’s real? Do they somehow clean it or just sell it to another customer?

Don't believe everything you read on a anonymous forum. No need to be worried about LV bags purchased at an LV boutique. As far as returns, LV will not accept a used bag for return - so no - it's not a situation where they clean them and resell them. They are very careful and bags are checked very careful and the return period is very short.

I honestly do not believe ANY story I hear or read about any LV boutique selling a fake. Some things you need to take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Don't believe everything you read on a anonymous forum. No need to be worried about LV bags purchased at an LV boutique. As far as returns, LV will not accept a used bag for return - so no - it's not a situation where they clean them and resell them. They are very careful and bags are checked very careful and the return period is very short.

I honestly do not believe ANY story I hear or read about any LV boutique selling a fake. Some things you need to take with a grain of salt.

:tup:

From twinkerbell's story, I thought the SAs were just being rude and was simply refusing to do exchange based on her race. They just simply assume/brand it as fake to avoid entertaining her.

I truly don't believe her bag had actually been a fake. The SA just didn't want to have to take her return, for whatever reason. Don't be scared to buy from a boutique! I'm sure they do everything they can to make sure nobody can return a fake bag.

In this case there were 14 tpf'ers that can confirm twinkerbell's story. It is 10000000% true. I was with her when she bought the first bag and I was with her when she was told it is a fake.... Her biggest mistake was not looking the bag over before she bought it. Since this was her first LV purchase she did not even think about it. About an hour after she got home she emailed me about it being uneven. She even posted photos here on TPF about it. I told her to wait until the next meet and exchange it with all of us in 2 weeks. That is exactly what she did. IF the bag was really a fake is it possible that it was HER that did the swap?? Of course, but the fact that she was with 14 tpf'ers when she bought it and then she tried to exchange it with most of the same people that were with her when she bought it. I do not think ANYONE would walk into a store with 14 people they have only met twice and try to return a fake bag and be embarrassed the way she was.

The only thing, we cannot 100% confirm is if the bag was or was not a fake. The first store told us it was a fake. There is a VERY good chance that the SA's that told us that were just clueless or it really could be a fake. When they went to the 2nd LV they did not mention that the first LV said the bag was a fake. Too be honest, when the SA took it back they never even unfolded the bag. They just left it folded and took it back. So if it was fake, it is back on the shelf to be sold. I would think they would inspect it before the customer left the store. So if it is fake, someone else now has a fake bag that was bought in the boutique. Either way, fake or not fake now someone is now walking around with a poorly misaligned bag. Sad.

All of twinkerbell's stories have been written about. It was written about how when she bought the original bag the SA did not want to give her a box and a bigger dustbag. Then she posted about the misaligned bag. Then it was very written about her being accused of trying to return a fake bag. So yes, everything that has been written is 10000% true. And there are 14 other tpf'ers that can confirm her story. I am not saying that when others have posted stories that they are just looking for attention. There is one tpf'er that I do not believe 99% of what they say. She has this type of thing happen to her every other month. There is always something wrong with every single thing she buys. So yes it is true that just because someone writes something, it is not always true but in twinkerbell's case everything written has been true.

Last edited:
Adraina89, you are not alone. I also freaked out after reading twinkerbell's story. I started checking my mono beaubourg MM inside out :biggrin:, I was paranoid. I also started reading about how to tell a fake from real one lol. In some videos in youtube they say if the LV sign in mono canvas is cut off it means its a fake. Totally WRONG. I found several Galliera and other bags that have LV cut off to make a certain shape of a bag. There are many and many wrong info out there. But twinkerbell's story is true as beljwl confirmed. What twinkerbell went through was horrible and a bit of race issue is involved I think.

Anyways, I continued inspecting my bag last night and got a scared and then my DH told me.......calm down your bag is authentic :smile: I did calm down lol.

Good question.

It's not just happening with LV. My sister bought a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes for her birthday and after further inspection from her friends, they came to the conclusion that her shoes were FAKE. Turns out that the person that did it in the first place bought a pair of fakes and returned the fake ones when they sent out the real ones. It's shocking

Just be sure for the SA to bring out a few of the bags for you so you can get your perfect bag.

I don't think twinkerbell's story is bogus. I think there is more to it and the LV sales lady perhaps was clueless. It is not Twinkerbell's fault my any means. I don't think she would do anything shady with that many TPFers with her.

You dont have to worry about it. Louis Vuitton does not do such thing and you can try to return a fake even if it is amazingly made but trust me they know how to spot a fake so no one can do that.

one other thing I want to add... at the same time we were standing there being told her bag was a fake. One of the other tpf'er who I was with just the day before bought a vernis brea pm at the same store we were at. So she asked the SA that was insisting that twinker's bag was fake where the date code is on her brea that she bought less then 24 hours earlier in that same store. The SA said "it is there and I know exactly where it is but I cannot tell you" So we told her all 14 of us looked and none of us could find it and just please confirm it. She again said that it is there over and over. FINALLY after we all asked her just to look at her bag and confirm it is in there and all 14 of us were blind. And that she does not even have to tell us where it is just confirm it is there since she has now told us over and over that she knows exactly where it is. So FINALLY she took the brand new brea and looked in it and looked and looked and looked and looked. Then she went and got another brea and still could not find it. All she said is that LV hides them but IT IS THERE. So what would happen now if that tpf'er wanted to return/exchange that bag? They could not find the date code. Would she be told it was a fake? This is the same SA that just told twinker that her bag was fake.