How can I get smoke smell out of my Chanel bag?

I have some preloved Chanel bags that have a smoke smell (I think it is cigar smell but could be cigarette). What is the best way to remove it? It seems to be on the entire bag - outside and inside .

I would rather not have a coverup scent (I’ve read Febreeze, but I hate the smell of chemicals). I read something about the Bad Air Sponge, so I might try that out. However, that seems to be more for the inside of bags? I need it for the entire bag, inside and outside.
One is black caviar, and I think the other is Lambskin or calfskin. I don’t yet know how to tell the difference.
Thank you!

Hi hon

Maybe buy a couple bags of activated charcoal from Amazon?

My husband used this to get a very yucky smell out of our fridge. (Forgot to throw away some food before vacation).

The bags are reusable. Place in sun to neutralize smell again.

I haven’t used it for a purse, but probably same concept. Place inside purse and see if it works. (You could probably put another one outside of purse and put everything in a brown paper bag, too, if you are worried about smells permeating the exterior of the bag).

Anyway, try googling activated charcoal bags and read the reviews. It did work for our fridge. The smell was awful but now it’s completely gone.

Good luck!

Hi hon

Maybe buy a couple bags of activated charcoal from Amazon?

My husband used this to get a very yucky smell out of our fridge. (Forgot to throw away some food before vacation).

The bags are reusable. Place in sun to neutralize smell again.

I haven’t used it for a purse, but probably same concept. Place inside purse and see if it works. (You could probably put another one outside of purse and put everything in a brown paper bag, too, if you are worried about smells permeating the exterior of the bag).

Anyway, try googling activated charcoal bags and read the reviews. It did work for our fridge. The smell was awful but now it’s completely gone.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! I am googling now. And a great idea to put it on the inside and then in a paper bag with one for the outside. I’ll try anything and everything to get rid of this smell!

I have some preloved Chanel bags that have a smoke smell (I think it is cigar smell but could be cigarette). What is the best way to remove it? It seems to be on the entire bag - outside and inside .

I would rather not have a coverup scent (I’ve read Febreeze, but I hate the smell of chemicals). I read something about the Bad Air Sponge, so I might try that out. However, that seems to be more for the inside of bags? I need it for the entire bag, inside and outside.
One is black caviar, and I think the other is Lambskin or calfskin. I don’t yet know how to tell the difference.
Thank you!
Did you find something that worked? Just purchased a bag with a smoke smell, hoping to find some tips!

Did you find something that worked? Just purchased a bag with a smoke smell, hoping to find some tips!
I was able to get the smell out of my lady Dior by us the following steps:
1.)warm soapy water to remove surface smell - let dry completely and set outside in fresh air
2.)put drier sheets & a sock filled with baking soda inside
3.) socks and container fill with baking soda around the outside and closed the purse and baking soda in a garbage bag ( open baking soda worked best so I left it sitting on a flat area carefully) I left it in the bag periodically checking for at least two weeks.
i would say that it removed 75% of the smell and the remainder disappeared once I started using the bag.

i also heard that charcoal packets work well too and would consider trying those

hop this helps

I was able to get the smell out of my lady Dior by us the following steps:
1.)warm soapy water to remove surface smell - let dry completely and set outside in fresh air
2.)put drier sheets & a sock filled with baking soda inside
3.) socks and container fill with baking soda around the outside and closed the purse and baking soda in a garbage bag ( open baking soda worked best so I left it sitting on a flat area carefully) I left it in the bag periodically checking for at least two weeks.
i would say that it removed 75% of the smell and the remainder disappeared once I started using the bag.

i also heard that charcoal packets work well too and would consider trying those

hop this helps
Thank you so much! Going to give it a go today

Has anyone tried soapy water like one of the posts states?
I’m having the same issue with a preloved (from 2022) Chanel caviar in light blue. It smells like cigarette. Not super strong but I can smell it and it bothers me. I thought it’ll go away after a month being on a shelf airing out, but it is still there.
I’m ready to try baking soda and charcoal bags but not sure about soapy water because not sure what that would do to the leather.

Has anyone tried soapy water like one of the posts states?
I’m having the same issue with a preloved (from 2022) Chanel caviar in light blue. It smells like cigarette. Not super strong but I can smell it and it bothers me. I thought it’ll go away after a month being on a shelf airing out, but it is still there.
I’m ready to try baking soda and charcoal bags but not sure about soapy water because not sure what that would do to the leather.
I’ve tried water and vinegar and the smell was gone for a week then came back :yucky:
I’ve tried freezing it, airing it out in the sun, baking soda and stuffing out with newspaper.
So I thought using it maybe get rid of the smell, no using it makes it stronger lol
Mine smells like Landry detergent sent. I don’t know if someone use an air freshener or why it was smell so strong. It very unpleasant, of course they said it had no odor. but my husband thinks this is probably the smell of their house and the bag just picked it up. I literally tried everything, oh yeah, I even steamed.

I swear by charcoal bags. But you have to have plenty of them in the bag. Then it needs a few weeks to get rid of smell. When the weather is good, it's always a good idea to leave your bag somewhere open so it will air out more quickly.

Reactions: Ruby5 and OCMomof3