How Can Excitement turn to Disappointment So Quickly? TWICE in One Day!

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
I'm having a "bad handbag day" and I thought if there was anywhere I could vent, it could be here -- I hope you don't mind!

First, I was browsing online just doing a little "window shopping" when I came across a bag on BBOS's Private Sale site that I absolutely LOVED! I had wanted this bag when it originally came out, but it was $4800 and I knew there was NO WAY that would ever happen. And here it was on their site for around $1500!! The timing was perfect -- I just sold a couple of bags and have more than that saved up in my "bag fund" so I put in my cart and began the checkout process. For some reason, my old cc info was defaulted in the checkout page, so I had to delete that card and enter my current card info, by the time I clicked on the Review button, I got a message that said, "I'm sorry, but the bag you have put in your cart is no longer available" :wtf: So I backed out and started over. The bag was still on the site, so I put it back in my cart, and I got the same msg and it wouldn't let me check out. So I called, and was told, "I'm sorry but just because you put something in your cart and begin the checkout process, doesn't make the item yours and if someone comes in and is faster than you, they can still buy it" I was floored!! What is this, Gilt? Idelii? Last time I checked, BBOS was NOT a flash sale site! I couldn't believe that this happened. I was so mad and disappointed, it made me sick to my stomach! They told me they'd compensate me with a $10 credit and asked me to please give them another chance -- Yea, like $10 is REALLY going to make a difference on a bag that costs a couple hundred -- maybe $1000!!!

To make matters worse, the bag I bought from the Wynn Hotel's big sale this weekend had arrived while all this was going on. I was so excited about this bag, and couldn't believe how lucky I was to find this bag at 40% off! I had seen the bag and resolved myself to the fact that I'd never own it, as it's original price is far over my bag budget. So when I got off the phone with BBOS I opened the box -- thinking that this bag would MORE than make up for the whole BBOS fiasco. The box was HUGE! Inside the box was ANOTHER box made by the designer (the box is amazing!!). So impressed and excited already, I lifted off the lid and pulled out my bag, neatly wrapped in tissue and sleeper. As I pulled the bag from the sleeper, I was amazed at how beautiful it was -- I began to look it over, every single inch, about to be impressed when I noticed the handles looking a little dull. I looked a little closer and noticed that BOTH handles are all scratched up and worn down. I swear that if I didn't know better, I'd think that this bag had been carried and used -- THAT'S how worn down these handles are!! How could this happen? Normally when I buy a bag on sale, I don't "nit pick" so much over minor wear to the corners or handles -- I know that sometimes these things happen when bags are on display. But this is a $3200+ bag that I still paid MORE for than any other bag I've ever owned!! I expected it to be in better condition that it is. How could this have happened??

I called the store, and the SA who helped me wasn't in yet, so I'm waiting for her to call me back, but I can't tell you how sick I am :sad: I was so excited about this bag but all that excitement is ripped away and now all I have is this really sick feeling in the pit of my stomach! Having a bag ripped out from right underneath me is disappointing enough, but then to receive a bag that I was so looking forward to receiving and discovering that it's damaged and/or possibly USED just adds insult to injury

PHEW!! Thanks for letting me vent. I just needed to get all that off my chest and I figured if anyone would understand how I'm feeling right now, it would be my fellow tPFers.

iluvmybags -Aww! I am so sorry this happened to you! I feel your pain! I've seen your taste in bags, and it's impecable. I hope you are able to straighten the quality issue out with Wynn. I wonder if BBOS could forward you the bag via payment over phone or is it sold and gone?

Worst case scenario, I will quote you what they quote buyers in Real Estate: If you missed out on this house, the next house will be that much greater!" So, if you do suffer these two loses, my wish for you is the next one far exceeds your wildest expectations! Good luck! :hugs:

I hate it when I am so excited for something to arrive only to be let down. The Wynn purchase would have put me over the edge. I expect something like that from BBOS, but the Wynn? Please, I can get used, returned, nicked bags for cheap at TJs and Nordstrom Rack. Hopefully things will work out when the Wynn SA gets back. Try to let it go and think about the next bag that might just fall into your lap ;)

:hugs: Thank you BH (for the compliment too!:love:)
Unfortunately the bag on BBOS was purchased by someone else -- that's why I was so upset. I get that sometimes people put things in their carts and then log off or go off and forget about it, but we're talking 10 minutes -- maybe 15? - while I checked for a d/c code (which I thought I had) and then began the checkout process. It was even available as I began the checkout process, but because I had to delete my old card info and enter my new one, it took a few extra minutes -- during that time, someone else bought the bag :tdown:

I don't know what's going to happen with the other bag -- it was final sale. And to be honest, I'd hate to send it back, because I know I'll probably never have an opportunity like this again, so I don't know what's going to happen there

Ergggg!!!!!!!!

That does sound very frustrating. Two in a row?? That's a big ol' bummer and that feeling definitely needs to be honered-especially since it was a big purchase. So hang out in your bummed state for a bit longer.

And after that bit, put your chin up and look forward to the next moment. Hug your pet, your kid, and/or your SO and realize how fortunate you are--this was the worst problem in your day today!

:cursing::mad::cursing:
So frustrated right now!! The SA at the boutique is trying to blame this on VBH (that's the designer of the bag, BTW). She's telling me that the bags are handled minimally in the store and VBH bags are on display in the window so that they are not handled by the customers unless they are serious about buying. She had their VBH representative contact me and it sounds like they want me to send it to them for repairs!! Needless to say I am not very happy about spending $2k on a bag that I need to send for repairs before I can even use it!.

I was so excited about this -- I couldn't wait until it got here, and instead of enjoying my bag and fawning over it, I've spent the last hour taking pics of the damage and on the phone with the SA at the Wynn.

Here are the pics, btw -- do YOU think VBH would let a bag leave their warehouse looking like this? (and trust me when I say, it looks far worse IRL than it looks in pics!)

Attachments

• handles 001.jpg
    handles 001.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 661
  • handles 002.jpg
    handles 002.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 838
  • handles 005.jpg
    handles 005.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 876
  • handles 006.jpg
    handles 006.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 545
^^^Unacceptable! Plain & Simple! I don't blame you one bit for being upset! I don't even know where to tell you to get started. If it was by the window display, it looks like it could have gotten tugged onto one of those metal display units. I would hold them accountable because the only kind of repair would be a replacement, not a glue job.

I found my answer - from bagsnob.com: "...Vernon Bruce Hoeksema, who goes by Bruce, started the line in 2001 to fill a void in the luxury bag market at a time when everyone and their mothers (literally) were using the same bags - the LV, Gucci and Pradas."

Yikes! Those handles look like someone used the bags for a couple of MONTHS (even then, it's hard to imagine how they handled the bag to make it look like that). That's definitely unacceptable---return, return, return :smile:

:flowers: thank you for the words of encouragement! at least I don't feel I'm being unreasonable. I haven't heard anything back from anyone yet, but I agree with BgaHolic, that I don't know that it can be "repaired" w/o a total replacement of the handles and I doubt that they could do that

India -- it was so ironic, that just a few days before I heard about this sale, I had created a thread about these bags after seeing them at Neimans
http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/the-vbh-brera-double-zip-satchel-omg-680467.html
I had never heard of the brand prior to that, but apparently they're a luxury brand along the lines of Hermes. That's why I was so excited about -- it's also why I was so surprised and disappointed that it arrived in the condition it did. I'd really hate to send it back because I'd hate having to give it up & I doubt I'd ever have another opportunity like this again. The only other option (if they even offered it!) would be if they let me replace it with another color, but I don't even know if they have another one in another color (as far as I know, this was the only one they had in the store)

Eww. Looks like it had an accident. I guess I'd keep it if they couldn't get me another one.

I bought a Horsebit Clutch off BBOS, and it still showed as available for a little while.

I'm told that they're "working on improvements" on their site so that doesn't happen (it was still on the site for 2+ hours AFTER I was told it was sold!). But that wasn't the issue -
it was that it was in my cart and as I was checking out & paying for it, someone else bought it right out from under me. It would be like if I was in line at the grocery store with the last gallon of Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream and someone snatched it out of my cart and said that it was "still available" because I hadn't finished checking out yet!!