House was robbed, my entire bag collection is gone

First of all, I am so sorry this happened to you. A few suggestions if you haven't done them already:
1. Talk to your insurance company to see how they will handle a claim like yours. A homeowners policy will differ from a business policy (like your dad's).
2. Change all the locks on your home and install a robust security system.
3. Call your local pawn shops and provide them photos of your missing items.
4. Check online sites for your items.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

3 nights ago, my family's home was broken into. They completely ransacked our home. Anything they could get their hands on, they pillaged through and threw everything on the floor. Its going to take days just to clean the mess. It feels like they were in the home for hours. Luckily nobody was home so we are all safe but my bag collection was not safe from these burglars.

They took everything. I am still flustered and trying to make sense of everything - I am devastated and cannot stop crying. I have been collecting bags for 17 years, a lot of the time I saved up for my purchases and a lot of those bags/items hold sentimental value.

I made a list of items they took. So far I have 21 items on my list but I'm sure there are more like some CL shoes and Chanel boots/sneakers but I just can't think straight right now.

They took:

Hermes Birkin 35 Togo Blue Zanzibar SHW
Chanel So Black Chevron Jumbo
Chanel So Black Boy Medium
Chanel Boy Black and White Trim Medium
Chanel Vintage XL Flap Black GHW
Chanel Vintage Caviar Tote Black GHW
Chanel Cambon Bowler Black and White
Dior Lady Dior Black SHW
Fendi 2 Jours Tote Black
Prada Saffiano Tote Black and Blue
Valentino Rockstud Tote Blue
Saint Laurent Sac Du Jour Blue
Alexander McQueen Tote Black with Silver Skull
Chanel Blue Caviar Zip Around Wallet
Chanel Camellia Card Holder Black
Chanel Classic Quilted Lambskin Wallet Black
Chanel Chainlink Statement Necklace Silver
Chanel Quilted CC Belt
Chanel Skinny Green Belt
Rolex Watch
Hermes Twillys

They had all the time in the world because they literally took out all of the stuffing from the bags.

I don't even know what to do. We spoke with police and there is a report - they suggested we speak with neighbors for video footage. I spoke with the neighbors but I am not hopeful that there will be any footage so these people are just going to get away with this and it breaks my heart. I know its just material things but its still such a violation and I don't know how I am going to recover from this.

I was thinking of checking online to see if any of these items pop up for sale but Ive never had anything like this happen to me so if anyone has any advice on what to do please share. I had to call my banks and let them know in case they try anything because they had access to everything in the home. This is actually one of my worst nightmares and it came true.

My dad was kinda encouraging me to not open a claim with insurance because he says they will hardly cover the cost of the bags and then will increase the insurance and might not cover the home anymore. He very recently had to file a claim at his business and that's what happened to him. Does anyone know any more info about home insurance covering the theft? We have Mercury.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to share because I need some support to help get me through this.
I had a very long and very lengthy conversation with my insurance agent when I bought my new house recently and was very explicit that I needed coverage that was commiserate with my bag and jewelry collection. He understood and made sure we dotted every I and crossed ever T wrt coverage. THAT is what you pay for. File the da** claim.

I think your father is right. You will never win an insurance company. File a claim, they just increase the premium. This is how they function so they always make money. Which is why insurance companies are SO wealthy and they can invest in a slew of real estate.

On the other hand, I feel very sorry for you. This will take some time to absorb and heal from. The world is getting very scary.

I am so incredibly sorry that this happened to you and your family. I agree with the other posters who suggested that you reach out to your insurance company. I would also consider reaching out to your credit card company - many of them offer purchase protection. I am so very sorry again.

Reactions: Loriad
I am so sorry to hear that. I have been there!! In 2015 my home was burglarized and 90% of my bags were stolen. I did file a claim with insurance. The loss was so big and luckily insurance paid handsomely. In some cases the replacement cost was more than I paid since the value went up (some LV items). Being burglarized is traumatic. I did end up moving. I just didn't feel safe and I'm a single mom.

I’m so sorry :sad:
This happened to me almost exactly a year ago.

Having experienced it, I have a lot of thoughts, but can’t write much right now as I’m traveling.
I will say insurance was WELL WORTH it for us. I’m very grateful that we were protected with comprehensive insurance.

I am very sorry this happened to you :sad:
At least you were all safe. I hope you resolve things with your insurer. Stay strong. We are all here for you :heart:

For those who made successful claims did you have itemised cover for each bag or claim under general contents cover?

I think your father is right. You will never win an insurance company. File a claim, they just increase the premium. This is how they function so they always make money. Which is why insurance companies are SO wealthy and they can invest in a slew of real estate.

On the other hand, I feel very sorry for you. This will take some time to absorb and heal from. The world is getting very scary.
I respectfully disagree. Yes, if you are filing several claims, especially in a short time period, you risk being cancelled by your insurance. However, you have insurance for a reason and this is obviously a large claim. I agree that you need to speak to your agent and have them advise you as to what you would receive in total and you can then decide if you want to file a claim. It's a strike, but no, reputable companies do not cancel you for one claim.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

3 nights ago, my family's home was broken into. They completely ransacked our home. Anything they could get their hands on, they pillaged through and threw everything on the floor. Its going to take days just to clean the mess. It feels like they were in the home for hours. Luckily nobody was home so we are all safe but my bag collection was not safe from these burglars.

They took everything. I am still flustered and trying to make sense of everything - I am devastated and cannot stop crying. I have been collecting bags for 17 years, a lot of the time I saved up for my purchases and a lot of those bags/items hold sentimental value.

I made a list of items they took. So far I have 21 items on my list but I'm sure there are more like some CL shoes and Chanel boots/sneakers but I just can't think straight right now.

They took:

Hermes Birkin 35 Togo Blue Zanzibar SHW
Chanel So Black Chevron Jumbo
Chanel So Black Boy Medium
Chanel Boy Black and White Trim Medium
Chanel Vintage XL Flap Black GHW
Chanel Vintage Caviar Tote Black GHW
Chanel Cambon Bowler Black and White
Dior Lady Dior Black SHW
Fendi 2 Jours Tote Black
Prada Saffiano Tote Black and Blue
Valentino Rockstud Tote Blue
Saint Laurent Sac Du Jour Blue
Alexander McQueen Tote Black with Silver Skull
Chanel Blue Caviar Zip Around Wallet
Chanel Camellia Card Holder Black
Chanel Classic Quilted Lambskin Wallet Black
Chanel Chainlink Statement Necklace Silver
Chanel Quilted CC Belt
Chanel Skinny Green Belt
Rolex Watch
Hermes Twillys

They had all the time in the world because they literally took out all of the stuffing from the bags.

I don't even know what to do. We spoke with police and there is a report - they suggested we speak with neighbors for video footage. I spoke with the neighbors but I am not hopeful that there will be any footage so these people are just going to get away with this and it breaks my heart. I know its just material things but its still such a violation and I don't know how I am going to recover from this.

I was thinking of checking online to see if any of these items pop up for sale but Ive never had anything like this happen to me so if anyone has any advice on what to do please share. I had to call my banks and let them know in case they try anything because they had access to everything in the home. This is actually one of my worst nightmares and it came true.

My dad was kinda encouraging me to not open a claim with insurance because he says they will hardly cover the cost of the bags and then will increase the insurance and might not cover the home anymore. He very recently had to file a claim at his business and that's what happened to him. Does anyone know any more info about home insurance covering the theft? We have Mercury.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to share because I need some support to help get me through this.
The Chanel bags have specific and unique date code for each bag, write down these code numbers give to all consignments, pawn shops, police stations, ebay etc selling platforms, and notify Chanel store (I assume you bought from the store) so your Chanel store could note them as stolen to prevent to resell if pop up that may help you get some back.

I’m so sorry that this happened to you and your family. It is devastating and violating of having strangers in your home. Like others have mentioned, I would also recommend reaching out to your home insurance agent.

So sorry to hear this. Yes , first see if your insurance can be any help. Has been tough year for many people this year with increase gun violence everywhere , robbery due to weakening economy and huge inflation, specially US, and some states more vulnerable than others…