http://www.northjersey.com/news/Reflected_sunlight_blamed_for_fire_in_Paramus.htmlPARAMUS It wasnt the howling wind or a foot of snow that did the damage to the house at 16 Ferdale Road. It was the sun, authorities say.
Once the storm passed, the sun shone brightly Saturday too brightly for a pile of clothes in a second-floor bedroom.
A fire that broke out Saturday afternoon is believed to have been caused by the sun beaming through the window and onto a mirror, which then focused a powerful beam onto a pile of clothes.
This may seem strange, but it looks like the sun reflecting off the mirror and onto the pile of clothes started the fire, said Lt. Barbara Steinberg of the Paramus Police. Were still investigating, but thats what it appears to be.
Three people were home when smoke began to fill the house shortly before 12:30 p.m. They all escaped the blaze, but the fire damaged the second-floor bedroom. Paramus firefighters rushed to the scene and put out the blaze; but Steinberg said there was damage to the rear of the home.
No one was injured. Steinberg was uncertain as to the extent of the damage, but said the utilities to the house had been cut off as firefighters battled the blaze. She was uncertain when the family would be allowed to return.