Hot spots?

joyeaux

O.G.
Jul 1, 2006
One of my sweet doggies has been itching so much lately, and one particular spot has become raw. We're going to take him to the vet but in the mean time, I was wondering if there was something I could put on it to help soothe it? Also, does anyone know what the vet will likely do to help it? Any opinions would be appreciated! :yes:

It could be possible that your dog has allergies...It is spring and every spring my little lhasa also develops some hot spots and licks. But - her itching and chewing is mostly on her feet and (gross....) backside. My vet gave me some allergy medicine for her that as long as I give her one of these when I notice the licking - it usually stops. The pill is very inexpensive and I asked if long term use hurts the dog and he said no. It does not make her drowsy either like people allergy meds. I can't explain it right - but there is something about their feet that is more sensitive and that is kind of how they show their allergic reaction.... this may not be what your dog is suffering from, but if it is - it is a very easy fix to make the dog more comfortable. Good luck!

One of my dogs gets hot spots occasionally. Our vet thinks that maybe the groomer doesn't rinse all the shampoo out of her hair (there's a lot of it, so that's understandable!) and it causes irritation.

She shaves off the hair around the hot spot area and then gives us a spray to use twice a day. A scab forms after a few days and eventually all is well.

Good luck to your doggie. These little things are so worrisome, but easy to fix!

Thanks so much! That is helpful... who knows, maybe I didn't rinse his coat fully after the last trip to the beauty parlor (i.e., with a hose in my backyard ;) ) I can also definitely see where it could be allergies. I will let you know what the vet said! Thanks again! :flowers:

My dog is VERY allergic to fleas. Once she starts chewing a spot she can spread with her saliva the flea poison (whatever you call it) and make herself itch even more.

I bathe her with a special aloe and oatmeal shampoo that soothes her skin and have lotion to help her too after a bath. They often give cortizone shots for hot spots but mine can't have them.