Horsehair?

D,

I love the horsehair combination ... I have a cabas tote that is shoulder held and gets used daily ... I am not at all precious with it as I have to lug around files, books, kitchen sink etc and it is the perfect casual bag .... I haven't noticed any pulls yet, but I am sure Hermes can fix any snags if and when they do materialise or carry out some repairs.

I love the flexibility in size that the horsehair allows and mine is in the Rouge H colours, really pretty and really pratical

Are you looking at Sandiaexchanges barenia and chocolate horsehair trim? its a really, really pretty bag

Shopmom, I have a SO (my only SO) black crinolin/black barenia 35 cm Birkin. I adore this bag...I love the look of crinolin and Barenia is my favorite leather. The bag is light as it is lined in fabric and not leather. That said...I do think that the crinolin is more fragile than the usual textured leathers, and yes, it has a few broken ends that are not very noticeable...I don't really know how it will hold up with time, but I suspect it is not refurbishable and I doubt it will have the longevity of the all-leather bags, if subjected to the same wear and tear...now I am not trying to discourage you in any way, and I (obviously) wanted this combo badly enough to SO it when I had but a moment to decide when the opportunity presented itself, unexpectedly...and I am not sorry...it's a very special bag.

pepper

I agree with you wholeheartedly...

I did have second thoughts about buying my crinoline barenia hac. I "felt" it was more worth the $$$ to get full leather.... but now looking at my collection, I am glad I did. It adds a nice touch/different texture/look to my full leather collection which frankly after all, is just leather dyed in different colors..

This thread appears to have beenwrapped up long ago, but I've just come across it and want to tell you I've seen Birkins in horsehair about 5 to 10 years old, and they do indeed tend to sag and lose their shape as they age. I would make an educated guess that if you take extremely good care of them and keep towels in yours to keep its shape whilst in storage, you'll be just fine. Please keep us posted, as I'm tempted to buy one myself one of these days.

I just saw a woman with what looked like a very well loved and old horshair bag with black croc handles. It had an H look about it but I could not place it. Although it was obviously old, it was in great shape, utterly cool, and I was in lust with it. I have read on the Chanel board that Chanel's pony does rub and gets bald spots. I've been close with a lot of horses though and they can take a lot of abuse without problems.