Horribly rude Tiffany SA

L etoile

tPF addict
O.G.
Jun 9, 2007
Hi ladies,

I had a horrible experience after calling Tiffany today. The customer service rep was SO rude that, after asking for her supervisor and being on hold for 10 minutes, I hung up and ordered my item from the Miami store (there's no Tiffany & Co. in my state). I really wish that I would've gotten her name so that I could write to them about it.

She was practically yelling at me (and said some pretty rude things to me) after I asked this very basic question...

There's no Tiffany in my state, so when I order online, I usually only pay the cost of the item + shipping. I don't remember paying tax before, but today, my online purchase was originally $100 but came to $125 with tax and shipping. Recently, I've ordered from VCA and Neiman's (neither have a store in my state) and neither store charged me tax. Why is Tiffany's different?

The customer service rep was sure that the total would be $125, but when I called the Miami store for a charge-send, they only charged $108. What is the deal?! Should I never order online or via the 1-800# again? Do I always have to do a charge-send to avoid a 25% increase in the price of the item for tax and shipping?

Hi ladies,

I had a horrible experience after calling Tiffany today. The customer service rep was SO rude that, after asking for her supervisor and being on hold for 10 minutes, I hung up and ordered my item from the Miami store (there's no Tiffany & Co. in my state). I really wish that I would've gotten her name so that I could write to them about it.

She was practically yelling at me (and said some pretty rude things to me) after I asked this very basic question...

There's no Tiffany in my state, so when I order online, I usually only pay the cost of the item + shipping. I don't remember paying tax before, but today, my online purchase was originally $100 but came to $125 with tax and shipping. Recently, I've ordered from VCA and Neiman's (neither have a store in my state) and neither store charged me tax. Why is Tiffany's different?

The customer service rep was sure that the total would be $125, but when I called the Miami store for a charge-send, they only charged $108. What is the deal?! Should I never order online or via the 1-800# again? Do I always have to do a charge-send to avoid a 25% increase in the price of the item for tax and shipping?

I had a very bad experience buying the ering from a Tiffany store and I complained about it. You should write the person up regardless you know the person's name or not. Just state the date and time you called and I am sure they will be able to track the person down.

I had a Horrible SA in the store once. I was trying to buy a bracelet but they were out of it and had to send it to me. The SA kept asking me for my credit card. I said I can only order it if it can be here in 5 days b/c otherwise I was traveling and would buy the bracelet on my trip. She kept saying yes and asking for my credit card again! Then I asked her manager and he said no it would definitely not be there! I told him that SA kept pressuring me for my Credit card and I left.:nono:

There seems to be lots of bad press about Tiffanys from people on this forum.

It realy brings the Tiffanys brand down market through teatment from fed up sales assistants who hate there jobs.

Tiffanys jewllery is stunning but Better off shopping at Van Cleef & Arpels or Boucheron!

I haven't shopped at Tiffany & Co yet, but I've heard if you go on their website and complain on their customer service the name of the store, time you went, SA name, they would contact you back and the store manager will personally ask you to go back to receive a better service. :smile:

In my tiffany catalogue, it says they charge sales tax for all states except for Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire & Oregon. So there are states where there are no stores but the charge tax. I am not sure exactly why that is though.

I'd think the person could explain it in a nice way however, I am always shocked at how they can get away with bad service.

I actually always have pleasant experience with tiffany online. I ordered 4 items and 2 were backordered. The rep. ensured that the items would be delivered before last Thursday so they even rushed them without charging me. They scouted the entire US for what I ordered and sent to me from the store directly.

Sadly, it was probably just one of those days with one of those people. Generally speaking they are really helpful and polite.

In my tiffany catalogue, it says they charge sales tax for all states except for Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire & Oregon. So there are states where there are no stores but the charge tax. I am not sure exactly why that is though.

I'd think the person could explain it in a nice way however, I am always shocked at how they can get away with bad service.

These are all states that don't have sales tax therefore Tiffany's doesn't charge tax. All other states regardless of whether they have a store or not Tiffany's will charge sales tax. I've never been exactly sure why that is, in general companies that do business in a state have to charge sales tax so even if there is no store maybe they do business in another way i.e. through the catalogue etc.

Hi ladies,

Tiffany's abides by the laws of every state so they charge sales tax for all states they do business in whether they have a store there or not. Really it is up to any business to charge sales tax or not but either way they have to pay a sales tax to the state if they are a law-abiding business. Why don't other companies do it? My guess is they either eat the sales tax and pay it out of their own pocket as a incentive to gain customers or they legitimately don't do business in that state and therefore don't have to.

As for the discrepancy in price, my guess is that the SA at the store in Miami decided not to charge you shipping. They do have that power, technically they are supposed to charge shipping on a $100 item but if you can find an SA who is willing to waive it then I say go for it. It's up to the SA to answer to their boss if they get in trouble. I have a thread elsewhere in this forum and one of my posts discusses ways that you can get around paying shipping costs.

I try to remind myself that times are difficult for most SAs across the country, but geez louise, sometimes the rudeness just seems gratuitous! Even more so on the phone, where they probably deal with all kinds of frustrated people. I bite my tongue from telling them off!!