Horrible service at Neiman!

Lola

O.G.
Jan 11, 2006
I bought a ring from Neiman and decided to return it about 20 minutes later (I was worried about the price and had second thoughts). I clearly asked the SA what their return policy was and they said that I can return any time as long as the tags were on it. Neiman wouldn't refund my money!!!! The SA had hand-written the wrong size on the receipt and she said that the ring I was trying to return was not the same ring since the size didn't match up. Then when a manager got involved she switched her story and said that the ring was not as shiny and brought out a different model as comparison. I really think that she was trying to protect her commission. When I went to do the return with another associate, she immediately ran over and took over. Also when she said she would get the manager she disappeared with the ring and the receipt and kept me waiting around for at least 15 minutes! In the end I disputed it on my credit card but I don't know what they can do. Are credit card companies (American Express) usually good at fighting for the customer?

What??? That's awful!! I'm so sorry that you were treated so badly. I'm angry for you! I'd go back and demand a refund. Get the police involved if you have too. Start a letter writing campaign to Neiman's main office about your treatment. Get the manager's and sa's name and let them know that you are going to report them. Good luck. Did you get the ring and receipt back? Yes American express are great in fighting for you and getting your money back.

You were only gone for twenty minutes before you decided to return the ring back to the store!!! I don't understand why they were giving you a hard time about the return - surely the original SA who sold the ring to you remember the transaction from only 20 minutes earlier?

Document everything and contact AMEX! I hope you get your money back! Maybe you should also contact the store manager to dispute this transaction? I've only bought two or three items from Neiman Marcus, but I will not shop there in the future!!!! Nordstrom's has the best return policy ever!!!

Let us know what happens!! I hope it works out for you!

Thank you so much for your support! I do have the the SA's name, manager's card, and the Regional manager's card (the manager's manager). I do have the ring and receipt back. I just wonder what she was doing for 15-20 minutes when she was supposedly getting the manager--that's a while for someone to disappear.

The SA definitely remembered me. She was insisting I was returning a different ring since the size didn't match the size she incorrectly wrote on the receipt. And by the way she wrote the size on the receipt AFTER I came back to do the return. I really think she didn't want to lose her commission.

Hopefully this was a learning experience for you since they probably were not use to having someone return something in 20 minutes.............I mean like really think the purchase through before paying for it......walk around the store for 20 minutes instead and decide and then go back to the counter to make the purchase since you said it was the price that worried you.

Hopefully this was a learning experience for you since they probably were not use to having someone return something in 20 minutes.............I mean like really think the purchase through before paying for it......walk around the store for 20 minutes instead and decide and then go back to the counter to make the purchase since you said it was the price that worried you.

I suppose so.....however, I clearly asked the return policy before purchasing and they said any time as long as the tags are on--and the tags were definitely on. I think that return policy is also on the back of the receipt. I suppose it might seem weird to some to return within 20-30 minutes of purchase, but I thought it was my right to change my mind as a customer according to the return policy. Would it have made a difference if I came back a week later? I think what I learned is to stick with stores that I trust like Saks and Nordstroms and to use trusted SAs that tPFers have recommended.

I'm sorry this happened to you! This isn't the first nightmare story I've heard about NM! :tdown:

I just wanted to let you know that Amex is usually wonderful in situations like this. I'm sure they will take care of it for you :yes:

Maybe they thought it was strange that you tried to return it really quickly after you bought it? Maybe they thought it could be some sort of scam?

I don't know. I am resigned to bad service in retail. I almost don't notice it anymore....

I absolutely detest Neimans- their SF store has THE worst service I've ever encountered. I simply refuse to give them my business when Saks has always been so good to me.

o.k., no offense, but it shouldn't matter if she bought it five minutes or 5 days later, she has the right to return that ring. Walk around for 20 minutes to decide? Crap, I've bought, taken home, decided 15 days later I didn't want it and expect to have a full refund once I return it to the store, unless their policy states differently. She clearly asked this and was told yes.

I agree with OP, she didn't want to give up that commission.

I would have never left the store until I received my refund.

I buy all the time from NM and have never had a problem, BUT with how expensive their stuff is, they better treat me as a valued customer or my business will be taken elsewhere.