Horrible purchase experience!!

I bid $150 on a coach mens leather tote. NWT

I received this item today. It is not as listed at all. The serial number in the description is wrong. The serial number on the bag and the tag has an F in the front of the number and that clearly means it is a factory bag not produced for the original coach store.

Additionally, the bag does not have the long detachable strap included as was described in the original auction.

Also, there are two pairs of dirty pants in the bag when I received it.

Along with the fact that it was not shipped in the time as was promised In the auction, I am very disappointed in this purchase.

I sent the seller a message. The auction said no returns, which I would have been fine with if the item was as described. I don't want to pay additional money to send it back! Can I insist on getting a full refund including the shipping both ways?

I am sorry about your unpleasant experience. It is a good thing you contacted the seller. Give the seller about 48 hours to respond, since it is the weekend.
Although, a good seller will reimburse the return shipping cost if the item is not as described, the seller is not obligated to do so. Base on Buyer Protection Policy, buyer is responsible for return shipping even if the item is not as described.

Reading the listing he alludes to the fact he stole the photo and that the photo is not the bag that you will receive. I am betting he stole the text too. I saw that listing and ran the other way.

Anytime you see tiny gallery photos assume the pictures are stolen until proven otherwise.

I would ask the seller for a return outlining the reasons. Ask for return shipping at his expense.

If he refuses, file a SNAD but make sure you very very clearly state everthing wrong with the bag and why it does not match his description. Then call eBay and fight your case.

File your claim with eBay. If the seller refuses to refund return shipping call eBay and raise a stink. They might refund you out of their own pocket.

File your claim with eBay. If the seller refuses to refund return shipping call eBay and raise a stink. They might refund you out of their own pocket.

I think you mean "out of our own pocket" meaning other sellers' pockets. This is why fees keep rising!

NOTHING is out of ebay's pocket!

I think you mean "out of our own pocket" meaning other sellers' pockets. This is why fees keep rising!

It is out of sellers' pockets but in this case I believe the buyer is owed a refund. If eBay can't force the seller to compensate her then it should come from them.

This is the original intention of Buyer Protection and I think it is valid here. Sellers gain value when potential buyers don't have to fear being ripped off by completely unscrupulous sellers.

The real problem is abuse of Buyer Protection by dishonest buyers.

Hopefully OP will be a little more skeptical when shopping on eBay for her next purchase. :smile:

It is out of sellers' pockets but in this case I believe the buyer is owed a refund. If eBay can't force the seller to compensate her then it should come from them.

This is the original intention of Buyer Protection and I think it is valid here. Sellers gain value when potential buyers don't have to fear being ripped off by completely unscrupulous sellers.

The real problem is abuse of Buyer Protection by dishonest buyers.

Hopefully OP will be a little more skeptical when shopping on eBay for her next purchase. :smile:
What I'm saying is that although the refund comes from "eBay," it's not really from ebay. It's from all of us -- All sellers are paying for ebay's "goodwill gestures."

I don't disagree that a good seller should make the buyer whole when it's seller error that causes a return. And I think the OP was scr3w3e by her seller and should be reimbursed. But I also think it's unfair that all sellers pay for bad sellers' unethical practices.

What I'm saying is that although the refund comes from "eBay," it's not really from ebay. All sellers are paying for ebay's "goodwill gestures."

I don't disagree that a good seller should make the buyer whole when it's seller error that causes a return. And I think the OP was scr3w3e by her seller and should be reimbursed. But I also think it's unfair that all sellers pay for bad sellers' unethical practices.

I see your point of view but what I mean is that all sellers do get a benefit (increased buyer confidence) when appropriate refunds are carefully awarded. Where our money really gets wasted in when eBay just hands out cash to buyers who are obviously scamming. That not only increases sellers' fees but emboldens dishonest buyers to target more sellers.

It also leads buyers and sellers to distrust each other which makes for a generally unpleasant trading experience for everybody.

I am tired of subsidizing this ish. Bidding on a mess of a listing like that is just asking for disappointment. There had to be other comparable bags that were listed with ample clear pictures. No need to play Ebay roulette with bad listings. It is a Coach bag ............hundreds are listed every day. File the SNAD and be glad that the original shipping is refunded. But please stop picking my pocket with these 'courtesy labels and refunds. It is so easy to be generous with other people's money. I had a SNAD bag last month and returned it on my own dime.

Last edited:
I do fall on the side of the buyer needing to pay the return shipping of an item. I've had 2 returns in the past year or so and wouldn't even consider asking for shipping. I wouldn't ask Walmart for gas money to return something to them. I really, really study those listings on ebay. And I go through alot of them before I buy.

Buyers have to accept certain responsibility for making choices that they make. Buying online you have to assume the certain amount of risk, whether it is on Ebay or from a big department store. If you purchase something from Neiman Marcus and it comes dirty and used (and yes, I have gotten a dirty and filthy "new" Fendi bag from NM), I still have to drive to the store and return it. If Ebay made a requirement for "free" returns, can you imagine, how many chronic returners will take advantage of that?
A good seller will reimburse the buyer for return shipping if the item is not as described. Do your diligence and research your sellers well.