Horrible experience with eBay seller

After seeing all of those messages, I panicked and filed a PayPal claim - and that somehow closed the eBay return. [emoji33] I received an email to that effect from eBay.

Thank you! This is the first time in over 15 years that I've ever tried - or needed - to return a purchase from eBay. I guess I've been lucky up until now. Well, except sabotaging this return by filing with PayPal! I guess that's what I get for panicking and working on this late at night when upset and exhausted.

Now I have formally issued a complaint with American Express and they have been great. (So far, anyway).

I am really sorry you are going through all of this but I think the problem is that you are going after too many sources of resolution. Ebay would have stayed involved but you contacted Paypal. It may be too late but you should have waited for an answer from Paypal before contacting Amex. If it is not too late you may want to put a hold on the Amex complaint. I expect any of them would result in a resolution in your favour but it gets confusing if they are all going after the same thing.

ETA: I can understand why you are panicking. The seller is playing every card in the book and creating all kinds of havoc. A hacked account is for fraudulent buying not fraudulent selling.

I am really sorry you are going through all of this but I think the problem is that you are going after too many sources of resolution. Ebay would have stayed involved but you contacted Paypal. It may be too late but you should have waited for an answer from Paypal before contacting Amex. If it is not too late you may want to put a hold on the Amex complaint. I expect any of them would result in a resolution in your favour but it gets confusing if they are all going after the same thing.

ETA: I can understand why you are panicking. The seller is playing every card in the book and creating all kinds of havoc. A hacked account is for fraudulent buying not fraudulent selling.

Thank you. I totally agree, but you must not have seen the sequence of events here. I originally contacted the seller directly which went nowhere. I then filed a return with eBay. EBay sent me 30+ messages the next night saying I was dealing with a fraudulent buyer and to contact and file a claim with my payment source. So I filed a complaint with PayPal, which inadvertently ended the eBay claim. I would never have intentionally done that! PayPal has been most disagreeable and says they cannot guarantee the seller will receive and refund the bag, so after my ludicrous conversations with eBay and PayPal today (after five days of dealing with this) it was pretty clear that I was not going to get anywhere with them, so I decided to give up and to file with Amex and be DONE.

Thank you. I totally agree, but you must not have seen the sequence of events here. I originally contacted the seller directly which went nowhere. I then filed a return with eBay. EBay sent me 30+ messages the next night saying I was dealing with a fraudulent buyer and to contact and file a claim with my payment source. So I filed a complaint with PayPal, which inadvertently ended the eBay claim. I would never have intentionally done that! PayPal has been most disagreeable and says they cannot guarantee the seller will receive and refund the bag, so after my ludicrous conversations with eBay and PayPal today (after five days of dealing with this) it was pretty clear that I was not going to get anywhere with them, so I decided to give up and to file with Amex and be DONE.

At this point, think you should just stay with Amex since they are involved
to a certain degree.

PP is being disagreeable & thus your frustration is more compounded.
If you send the bag back & PP can't guarantee a "refund", why be any
more vulnerable if Amex will have your back?

At this point, think you should just stay with Amex since they are involved
to a certain degree.

PP is being disagreeable & thus your frustration is more compounded.
If you send the bag back & PP can't guarantee a "refund", why be any
more vulnerable if Amex will have your back?

Thanks! Amex was so wonderful (and actually eBay had been until the day) and they said if anything like this ever happened again - on or off eBay - to come directly to them. Of course it may take a while, but at least someone is paying attention now!

You've all been so kind. Thank you. My hope now is that someone reading this can be helped somehow. But honestly, I keep reviewing all of this in my head, and I can't see where I would have ever done anything differently! I try to be good, do good and follow "rules" as they pertain to business and personal ... I'm just surprised when other people do not.

Thanks! Amex was so wonderful (and actually eBay had been until the day) and they said if anything like this ever happened again - on or off eBay - to come directly to them. Of course it may take a while, but at least someone is paying attention now!

You've all been so kind. Thank you. My hope now is that someone reading this can be helped somehow. But honestly, I keep reviewing all of this in my head, and I can't see where I would have ever done anything differently! I try to be good, do good and follow "rules" as they pertain to business and personal ... I'm just surprised when other people do not.

Keep us posted & hopefully Amex will step up to the plate, give you a refund
& then go after PP for the money.

So I filed a complaint with PayPal, which inadvertently ended the eBay claim. I would never have intentionally done that! PayPal has been most disagreeable and says they cannot guarantee the seller will receive and refund the bag, so after my ludicrous conversations with eBay and PayPal today (after five days of dealing with this) it was pretty clear that I was not going to get anywhere with them, so I decided to give up and to file with Amex and be DONE.
I also totally understand why you did what you did.

The thing that confuses me is what you say PP told you. You are the buyer and have buyer protection.

I assume your dispute with Paypal was opened as SNAD so once you opened it, the money from your purchase was frozen in the seller's account. Even if she'd withdrawn it, she'd have a negative balaance in her account.

Once you'd returned the bag and had tracking to prove delivery, you would have gone back to the Paypal dispute, input the tracking and would have received the refund of your payment.

As for collecting from the seller, that's Paypal's problem, not yours. If she had a negative balance, she would have to repay paypal for the refund they issued to you.

That's a plot twist I just didn't see coming ... but if it was hacked, it means it wasn't her bag sent to you, so you don't *actually* need to return it, right?

Or did the hacker also get into her wardrobe and steal things to send to people?

Thank you. I totally agree, but you must not have seen the sequence of events here. I originally contacted the seller directly which went nowhere. I then filed a return with eBay. EBay sent me 30+ messages the next night saying I was dealing with a fraudulent buyer and to contact and file a claim with my payment source.

I didn't see where eBay told you to file a claim with your payment source the next night. They should have had your back on this one. You definitely deserve to have this resolved in your favour and I agree that at this point AMEX is probably the one which will do it for you.

Last edited:
I didn't see where eBay told you to file a claim with your payment source the next night. They should have had your back on this one. You definitely deserve to have this resolved in your favour and I agree that at this point AMEX is probably the one which will do it for you.

EBay is well known for giving conflicting info. In my case, they opened a return case and then seller clicked to agree to it but did not agree to return shipping. eBay didn't tell me in this case to wait and they would force a return and a return shipping label so I paid for the return of a fake. eBay then sent me an email telling that they had sent a refund and to keep the item. I had already sent it back, but wouldn't have wanted it anyway:nono::cursing::rant:

I did mention that and now the item is removed (that I paid for), plus the relisted item. But get this - my negative feedback was removed as well! I do not understand eBay. :sad:

Did you curse, mention any of her personal info or mention that a dispute had been opened? All of those things are feedback violations and result in having your feedback removed.

Did you curse, mention any of her personal info or mention that a dispute had been opened? All of those things are feedback violations and result in having your feedback removed.

Absolutely not! But the seller was horribly rude and threatened all sorts of stuff.

The feedback was removed because she convinced eBay her account had been hacked.

I'm still getting nasty emails from her - attempting to taunt me. I guess she got my email address from PayPal, or do they still provide it to buyers? Frustrating.

Amex is handling all of this now. But I don't like her having my info. I truly believe she is not a good person.

Absolutely not! But the seller was horribly rude and threatened all sorts of stuff.

The feedback was removed because she convinced eBay her account had been hacked.

I'm still getting nasty emails from her - attempting to taunt me. I guess she got my email address from PayPal, or do they still provide it to buyers? Frustrating.

Amex is handling all of this now. But I don't like her having my info. I truly believe she is not a good person.

She sounds like an absolute nightmare, is there any way to block her so she can't e-mail you any more?