Horrible buyer held my money and bag hostage

chinkee21

My Dream Ring!
O.G.
Nov 6, 2007
Hello, I sold a bag on July 4th and mailed it out via registered mail on July 12th, I went away on holiday from July 13th- July 29th, by the time I got back, the buyer has already opened a paypal dispute. While I was away I told her I will email her the reference number of the registered parcel I sent her, she waited a couple days and filed the dispute. This was an international transaction, by the way. 2 weeks is barely enough time for the item to get to her. I don't even know why paypal lets you open a dispute this short a time into the transaction. On Paypal dispute I posted the ref. # 4 times and I never heard back from her again! the deadline of the dispute is Aug 18th, what happens to my money then? She never escalated to a claim. Now I am out my bag and $148! Will paypal put in the funds back into my account? This is so frustrating!! TIA!!

I have a feeling she received the bag and never bothered to inform me.

Your post isn't clear.

Has the buyer filed a dispute because they say they haven't received the parcel? Does the tracking reference prove delivery or is it still in transit? Where did you post from/to?

Just a thought - have you tried calling trading standards? They will be able to tell you your rights within your country's lawn
I don't think there's a need for that yet as it's quite straightforward. The seller has, I presume, a tracking reference for her parcel. So she needs to determine whether the parcel was delivered or not. If it was delivered, per tracking, then she can telephone Paypal and request the dispute be closed in her favour. If the parcel hasn't been delivered and is declared lost then she will need to claim on the postal insurance.

The seller is mistaken when she says the buyer has her money and her item. Paypal currently has the money on hold so neither party has it.

This is assuming, of course, that this is a claim for non-receipt. The seller hasn't stated what the dispute is for.

Reactions: BeenBurned
Hello, I sold a bag on July 4th and mailed it out via registered mail on July 12th, I went away on holiday from July 13th- July 29th, by the time I got back, the buyer has already opened a paypal dispute. While I was away I told her I will email her the reference number of the registered parcel I sent her, she waited a couple days and filed the dispute. This was an international transaction, by the way. 2 weeks is barely enough time for the item to get to her. I don't even know why paypal lets you open a dispute this short a time into the transaction. On Paypal dispute I posted the ref. # 4 times and I never heard back from her again! the deadline of the dispute is Aug 18th, what happens to my money then? She never escalated to a claim. Now I am out my bag and $148! Will paypal put in the funds back into my account? This is so frustrating!! TIA!!

Did it really take you 8 days to ship the item? If she won it on the 4th, when did she open the dispute? The 29th? What does the tracking show? If tracking shows delivered then you'll be covered. You can call PayPal and point out the delivery confirmation and they should release your funds. If no tracking and if buyer doesn't respond then the hold on your funds should be released after the deadline. Registered mail (at least in US) requires a signature and item is locked up at each stop so there should be good tracking.

EBay let's the buyer open a dispute after the eta has passed and that seems reasonable after all how long should a buyer be expected to wait for their item?
Now I remember why I don't purchase items with international shipping. I would not have the patience to wait 6 weeks for a refund or my item.

Reactions: whateve and lulilu
Hello, I sold a bag on July 4th and mailed it out via registered mail on July 12th, I went away on holiday from July 13th- July 29th, by the time I got back, the buyer has already opened a paypal dispute.
Just to be clear, you're saying the buyer bought on July 4 and opened a dispute sometime before July 29?

While I was away I told her I will email her the reference number of the registered parcel I sent her, she waited a couple days and filed the dispute.
If you were able to respond while you were away, why couldn't you look up the tracking/reference number on your phone and send it to her?

Hello, I sold a bag on July 4th and mailed it out via registered mail on July 12th,
You are aware that for ebay and paypal seller protection, you have to ship within 7 days of payment right?

Why did you wait so long to ship? Seven days should certainly have been long enough to get that item out to her, particularly when you knew you were going to be away for 3.5 weeks!

Unless tracking shows delivery (although signature isn't necessary at your pricepoint), you will probably lose this case just based on the amount of time it took you to mail it.

What country was it sent from and to? And what method of post was used (i.e. DHL, USPS, RoyalMail) and with what services? Not all services track across countries, so it's good to always make sure the method you choose tracks to the final destination.

Since you mentioned having a tracking number, how far does it track? Does it show the parcel sill in transit? You sent it just over four weeks ago, so hopefully it made it to its final destination by now ...

I do agree with others that taking 8 days to send, unless mentioned in the listing, is annoying to many buyers. And most of us want clear tracking info so we can anticipate our package arriving.

If you really suspect fraud, you might look and see at the other feedback she's left other sellers.

Reactions: lulilu
The dispute was for non-receipt. I sent it registered mail, her post office will notify her of a parcel for pickup, it will need a signature. Dispute was opened on 30th. And yes, unfortunately, I shipped the bag 7 days later as I got busy finishing everything at work before leaving for holiday. I admit, I should have put in more effort to get it to the PO sooner. I always send out orders 2 days after payment clears.

Registered mail does not track every place your package lands. It just tells you when it leaves destination. I sent it from Hong Kong to Maryland. Funny enough, I did not know that I only had 7 days to mail it out. As I said, I never send out orders this late. It's my first time. I was gone 2 weeks, not 3.5 weeks.

Anyway, I only have a day to wait what happens with the funds. Thank you for your help, everyone.

The dispute was for non-receipt. I sent it registered mail, her post office will notify her of a parcel for pickup, it will need a signature. Dispute was opened on 30th. And yes, unfortunately, I shipped the bag 7 days later as I got busy finishing everything at work before leaving for holiday. I admit, I should have put in more effort to get it to the PO sooner. I always send out orders 2 days after payment clears.

Registered mail does not track every place your package lands. It just tells you when it leaves destination. I sent it from Hong Kong to Maryland. Funny enough, I did not know that I only had 7 days to mail it out. As I said, I never send out orders this late. It's my first time. I was gone 2 weeks, not 3.5 weeks.

Anyway, I only have a day to wait what happens with the funds. Thank you for your help, everyone.
What did happen with the funds?