Honest opinion about square silk scarves?

dagnypup

O.G.
Feb 3, 2010
Hello.

I was wondering what everyone's honest opinion was about silk scarves -- the square 90cm kind like Hermes sells?

I am asking because while I love scarves and I love the IDEA of scarves, I am starting to wonder if they are a bit ....dare i say it...outdated? (all you scarfies, please don't flame me!!)

I have spent several weeks looking at threads on socialites/celebs/fashionistas/etc and other than a few older politicians (whose style I am NOT trying to imitate) I cannot find anyone who wears these types of scarves.

I know there are a lot of photos of women wearing them on tPF -- and their scarves are lovely -- but most of the photos are focused solely on the scarf and it is hard for me to get a look at the entire outfit (face/hair included) to give an honest and objective opinion of the look.

I also read all the time about the supposed-ubiquitous Hermes scarf apparently owned by every Frenchwoman ....but never seem to see all the scarves when I look at street photos of France. Is it just a myth?

I have been wearing scarves since high school (in the mid 80's) and, like I said, love the idea of them (pop of color, makes a plain wardrobe versatile, etc) I am wondering if maybe I am too old (mid 40's) and should save my $ and spend it on other accessories instead, as I don't want to look frumpy and I know there is a very fine line if one of my age is not careful. ;)

I have also realized that was is considered "Classic" may come off differently on a person of say, 20, than it will on a person of 50: twinset sweaters on J Crew look good on a college student, but can be dowdy on a matronly grandmother.

I'd love any thoughts you may have.

Cheers,
Dagny

Reactions: AnnaSo
Hello.

I was wondering what everyone's honest opinion was about silk scarves -- the square 90cm kind like Hermes sells?

I am asking because while I love scarves and I love the IDEA of scarves, I am starting to wonder if they are a bit ....dare i say it...outdated? (all you scarfies, please don't flame me!!)

I have spent several weeks looking at threads on socialites/celebs/fashionistas/etc and other than a few older politicians (whose style I am NOT trying to imitate) I cannot find anyone who wears these types of scarves.

I know there are a lot of photos of women wearing them on tPF -- and their scarves are lovely -- but most of the photos are focused solely on the scarf and it is hard for me to get a look at the entire outfit (face/hair included) to give an honest and objective opinion of the look.

I also read all the time about the supposed-ubiquitous Hermes scarf apparently owned by every Frenchwoman ....but never seem to see all the scarves when I look at street photos of France. Is it just a myth?

I have been wearing scarves since high school (in the mid 80's) and, like I said, love the idea of them (pop of color, makes a plain wardrobe versatile, etc) I am wondering if maybe I am too old (mid 40's) and should save my $ and spend it on other accessories instead, as I don't want to look frumpy and I know there is a very fine line if one of my age is not careful. ;)

I have also realized that was is considered "Classic" may come off differently on a person of say, 20, than it will on a person of 50: twinset sweaters on J Crew look good on a college student, but can be dowdy on a matronly grandmother.

I'd love any thoughts you may have.

Cheers,
Dagny

I love H silk squares. Apologies if you have seen these blogs before but I feel they truly show the beauty and versatility of silk scarves.
http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/
http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.co.uk/

By the way, I'm 36 in case that makes a difference

Reactions: csb99
I love H silk squares. Apologies if you have seen these blogs before but I feel they truly show the beauty and versatility of silk scarves.
http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/
http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.co.uk/

By the way, I'm 36 in case that makes a difference

Hi! :smile:
I do know of these blogs and have read them faithfully for years (I was part of the French chic group back in the day when Janice wrote about vivienne). These blogs add to my idea of how wonderful the scarves are and keep me buying them. But I still feel like they may be a bit outdated somehow?
Perhaps it is a problem I am having with my own personal style? I'm not really sure. Maybe the issue is with the square scarves and not the shawls? (I don't have any of the shawls).

So maybe the scarf is all right but that I am all wrong for the scarf?

<<shrug>>

There is a video on youtube called 25 ways to wear a scarf (with accompanying how-to videos and a blog with outfits). There is also a video on Nordstrom's site that show how to wear scarves of different dimensions.

There is a subforum on accessories here in the wardrobe forum (see top of thread list). There are specific threads on scarves there.

I think you may have options by tying the scarf in different ways if it is long enough. Or restyle by wearing it with more casual clothes (tees, hoodies, jeans, tall boots, etc.).

It seems like everyone loves the LV leopard and McQueen skull patterns. I would think you could get away with any pattern that you loved. It seems to me that bigger, longer scarves are more popular now. However Coach is selling the 32" square scarves. Those should be fine for an infinity scarf and maybe some other styles.

Reactions: Passau
[QUOTE
I have also realized that was is considered "Classic" may come off differently on a person of say, 20, than it will on a person of 50: twinset sweaters on J Crew look good on a college student, but can be dowdy on a matronly grandmother. [/QUOTE]

I think this is very true. I see it with pearls, and certain types of jewelry, and as you mentioned twin sets!
I think when you add something unexpected it freshens the look....too "classic" and it looks anachronistic, dated, and stale....or like some vintage costume! I think great shoes can help anything.
As for scarfs, I like them, but I do think you need to be careful not to cross the line. Queen Elizabeth wears them all the time too, but she is no longer my style icon.
And I had to laugh when you mentioned every French woman owning Hermes scarves....when I was living in EU I was looking for those women too! You won't find them at Hermes. It was packed with tourists buying bracelets. (And I include myself in the tourist group! Although I did pass on the bracelet.)

[QUOTE

I think this is very true. I see it with pearls, and certain types of jewelry, and as you mentioned twin sets!
I think when you add something unexpected it freshens the look....too "classic" and it looks anachronistic, dated, and stale....or like some vintage costume! I think great shoes can help anything.
As for scarfs, I like them, but I do think you need to be careful not to cross the line. Queen Elizabeth wears them all the time too, but she is no longer my style icon.
And I had to laugh when you mentioned every French woman owning Hermes scarves....when I was living in EU I was looking for those women too! You won't find them at Hermes. It was packed with tourists buying bracelets. (And I include myself in the tourist group! Although I did pass on the bracelet.)[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your great reply!! What you say here is exactly what I was talking about. ( and ditto on the comment about the queen, as she was the other person besides nancy that I see wears them).

I think I will try your advise about the unexpected element before I completely decide to release them from my wardrobe.
Cheers!
(And what lovely h beauty did you get on France? I'm in love with the bags and think I'd rather sell my scarves for the Barenia on my wish list!).

The "25 ways to wear a scarf" video is the first post of this thread (very charming!): http://forum.purseblog.com/wardrobe-accessories/25-ways-wear-scarf-mcqueen-louis-vuitton-missoni-673583.html

It almost made me run out and buy a scarf. Almost.

This tpfer also wears her (Hermes) scarves in a really lovely way, and her instagram shows full outfits (which are also sometimes posted in the Hermes in action thread): http://instagram.com/leorangebliss

Her pics make me long for an Hermes square scarf. :P

And honestly, the only place I ever see people wearing Hermes scarves... is at Hermes (and here on TPF). >.<

Reactions: celine666666
Hi Dagny,

The 90cm square has become a less-favorite type within my own collection and I haven't regretted selling most of them off in favor of 70cm or 140cm square scarves. I do not think they are passé, however&#8212;worn in the hair, as clothing, with leather jackets and vests and biker jackets, and with general nonchalance always makes them chic. This is how I use the ones I've kept (when I pull them out).

It's really about your own style. If I remember, it's a lot of skirts and the more classic or traditional combinations. If so, then yes, a classic carré is likely to look old-fashioned.

Also, the uber pristine folds and knots can create an overly prissy impression, IMHO. But the scarves themselves can be anything and can adapt to a wide range of sartorial aesthetics.

Dagnypup, when we were living in Switzerland we went to Paris occasionally.
And I remember one Saturday going into the Saint-Honore location to just look at the high-end tack. I was so overwhelmed by the crowds I just wanted to leave. We had our 4 y/o daughter with us and the SA was so sweet - giving her puzzles and coloring books, but I didn't buy a thing. I bought a scarf back in Switzerland where my local store was always peaceful and calm. I love Hermes and have been repeatedly impressed with how kind the SAs have been - esp. when I have my daughter with me - but I sort of hate crowds.

I live in DC so I probably see more Hermes scarves worn in real life than others do, and yes, they often look frumpy. I think what often happens is that some women try to 'fix' their look with an expensive scarf while really more current shoes, a nicer handbag (not a slouchy nylon tote) and honesty maybe a little more tailored clothing & updates hair is what is needed. The scarf is icing but the cake needs attention too! And as someone who needs to lose quite a bit of weight myself, I think it is harder to wear classic scarves with extra weight.

As for wearing with tees, leather etc. I have other scarves (LV & Thomas Wylde) that I prefer for those looks.

I don't have any thoughts on this scarf issue but just wanted to say that I love the honesty (and realism!) of your post...which is not seen too often round these parts! :rolleyes:

ETA: actually, on second thoughts, I do have a small view on this. I believe that 'some' people look fab with their H scarf, because that's their style and who they are. I think the majority who wear them, believe an 'H' scarf will make them fab, like the wears of many other designer brands - 'if I have x brand I will look gorgeous'. Have seen quite a few photos on this forum of people wearing 'designer' labels, and you can tell instantly that they have only chosen this dress/top/shoe/bag because its a 'brand' and not because it really suits their personal style.

*just an observation*

Last edited:
Very good discussion topic!!

I personally never wear scarves; I have 2 beautiful Pucci scarves that I bring out a few times a year, but only if I have an all-black or simple outfit and want to accentuate it w/out having to wear jewelry.

Never felt compelled to spend $$$$$ on an Hermes scarf either. I'd rather buy shoes!

Very good discussion topic!!

I personally never wear scarves; I have 2 beautiful Pucci scarves that I bring out a few times a year, but only if I have an all-black or simple outfit and want to accentuate it w/out having to wear jewelry.

Never felt compelled to spend $$$$$ on an Hermes scarf either. I'd rather buy shoes!

The shoe comment hit home for me!
I know shoes won't fix every fashion ill, but they sure make me happy!

Also I have to say - since honesty is being mentioned - I think those of us who may be on the tall & thin side favor scarfs to sort of cover up our long necks. I think by the time I'm 45, let alone 50, I'll be wearing turtlenecks and scarves full time!

I live in DC so I probably see more Hermes scarves worn in real life than others do, and yes, they often look frumpy. I think what often happens is that some women try to 'fix' their look with an expensive scarf while really more current shoes, a nicer handbag (not a slouchy nylon tote) and honesty maybe a little more tailored clothing & updates hair is what is needed. The scarf is icing but the cake needs attention too! And as someone who needs to lose quite a bit of weight myself, I think it is harder to wear classic scarves with extra weight.

As for wearing with tees, leather etc. I have other scarves (LV & Thomas Wylde) that I prefer for those looks.

:goodpost:

Interesting discussion! I love scarves and wear them all the time, but I haven't worn any of my "classic" silk squares at all. Mine are really old-school -- a black and gold Hermes "Les Cavliers D'Or" and a bright pink plisse "L'Art du Temari." Although I love them, I just can't incorporate them into my ensembles and lifestyle in a modern way. Makes me sad that I just look at them occasionally. :sad:

Oh, I'm the same age as a the OP. I always thought I'd be wearing more classic pieces in my 40s....

Last edited: