homme fashion

[vogue]

O.G.
Sep 11, 2006
i've noticed that there are only a few guys here, and being one of them, i just wanted to ask: Now that the weather (here in london anyway) is getting colder, what are you guys going to wear? And how are you guys going to accessorise? Personally, I accessorise myself regularly with my Dolce&Gabbana Dogtag and YSL leather cuff... and I think that the whole wool cardigan is going to be a big hit this season... Oh yes, what bags do you guys carry? I carry around my Issey Miyake Bowling bag almost everywhere nowadays...Pictures can come up if requested!!:angel:

Cheers!!:wlae:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/12/fashion/12CODES.html?_r=1&ref=fashion&oref=slogin

there is a slide show on that page

The Cardigan, Fashion’s Sad Sack, Shapes Up

By DAVID COLMAN
Published: October 12, 2006
FASHION watchers may go on about Oscar bloopers like Kim Basinger’s one-armed dress or Barbra Streisand’s see-through pajamas, but for politicos, perhaps the greatest fashion belly-flop of the last half century occurred in the cold February of 1977. Just weeks after his inauguration, President Jimmy Carter faced the nation, sitting fireside in a beige wool cardigan, and told the United States to turn down its thermostat. They were words no one wanted to hear.
The cardigan, already synonymous with the numbingly inoffensive style of one Mr. Rogers, completely unraveled, becoming an emblem of President Carter’s wet-blanket austerity. Even those who didn’t link the sweater with the policy looked on it as a professorial hair shirt, a state only amplified by its saggy shape. It took a complete revamping in the 90’s, with a jaunty zipper and 60’s-skiwear silhouette, to give the cardigan a shiver of coolness.
Now the old button-up has been rediscovered, just as President Carter and energy conservation have. And a lot of men, even guys in their 30’s and 40’s, have forgotten all about the Carter cardigan.
“I don’t remember that,” said Jim Moore, the creative director of GQ.
“No, really?” said Thom Browne, who has made the cardigan a staple of his three-year-old men’s wear line. “Who knew?”
Style-conscious men today are more likely to see in the cardigan its midcentury glory days as the preferred knitwear of golf club swingers from Palm Springs to Edinburgh. Yet bookishness is still part of its appeal. That is certainly true for Mr. Browne, who is as likely to look to the 1920’s antiheroes played by Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd — geeks who got the girl — as to the Duke of Windsor or Cary Grant.
It is also true for Miuccia Prada, who sent cardigans down her men’s runway three years ago. “When it came off the runway a few years ago, I have to say that we were skeptical,” Mr. Moore said. “We thought, ‘O.K., is it Perry Como, or is it Kurt Cobain?’ For a while I think some guys thought, ‘It looks great on that guy from the Strokes, but I can’t pull it off.’ Now it looks really cool, especially if you wear it with a skinny shirt and a Band of Outsiders tie.”
This fall, virtually every fashion house has cardigans in its line: heavy rollers like Prada and Dsquared; upstarts like Nom de Guerre and Trovata; and populists like Banana Republic and Club Monaco. Some are thick knits, best suited to weekend wear. Some are fine-gauge wools, more appropriate for the suit-and-tie world. Some have contrasting trim, epaulets or patch pockets that look, respectively, a little kitschy, military or gentlemanly. But all have a trim shape that counters the given-up-on-style attitude that the old-school cardigan projects.
It is hard to argue with the cardigan’s common-sense values. Buttoned up or worn open, with a T-shirt or a dress shirt and tie, it is more versatile than a crewneck. It even has a kind of style logic.
“You’re able to show all the different layers of everything you’re wearing, so there’s a dandyish aspect to it,” said Alex Logsdail, 20, an intern at a Chelsea gallery and the proud wearer of cardigans by Cloak, Vivienne Westwood and John Smedley. “It used to be seen as a little too feminine, but I think that’s quite dated. It can be very stylish if cut properly.”
While common sense has its appeal, its style cred carries more weight. “I feel now that’s it a cool, hip thing,” said Bryce Wolkowitz, 33, a gallery owner in New York, who was packing two cardigans to go to the Frieze Art Fair in London this week. “I remember when I was younger and trying to sport my father’s cardigans and never feeling like I was in step with fashion.”
Mr. Wolkowitz’s favorite, a Thom Browne style, has a lean, short cut with collegiate bands around the sleeve — the varsity look. “There’s something a bit highbrow about a cardigan,” he said. “That’s what’s cool about it. So if I am just wearing a pair of jeans, it turns up the look.”
Heaven knows, the cardigan deserves a fresh start. The sweater takes its name from the seventh Earl of Cardigan, James Thomas Brudenell, familiar to historians as the quarrelsome, vain British general who led the disastrous charge of the Light Brigade in Balaclava in 1854.
Ouch. Some 150 years later, with its casual practicality and geek-chic edge, the cardigan may at long last have earned a day in the sun. Which means, of course, that you can turn down the thermostat.

12code.slide1.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]Chris Shipman for The New York Times at One Chase Manhattan Plaza[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif][SIZE=-1]The cardigan, fashion's sad sack, shapes up. Striped wool cardigan, $550; shirt, $340; and tie, $155; all at Cloak. Michael Bastian Prince of Wales wool trousers, $525 at Saks.[/SIZE][/FONT]

hey sonya.. thanks. i love dior homme too...although i havent really gotten round to buy their clothes cos i find that they don't really fit me..i've got a rugby-ish frame, but not bulky...and i'm about 183cm...

I really love Jean-Paul Gautlier's collection for this season. I live in Chicago so most likely, I wouln't be getting any, but I'll try to find some nice suits and blazers similar. I accessorize mainly with belts (two Gucci, one Ferregamo), hats (vintage), and scarves (Hermes). And bags, ever since my Prada Sport red fur messenger was stolen (*tear*), I've been carrying around my white Prada bag with python details on the back (even though it only goes with about 1/3 of my wardrobe...). I also have a vintage fur muff which I'll start using in probably November and a vintage Balley python and leather bag which I use as a messenger from the 80s. Not a big fan of the cardigan trend...I'm only 5'7 and 110lbs so I don't think that it would work well with my body type.

mr. couturier, aren't you in college? I would have LOVED to go to school with you. I've always thought the fashionable people in Chicago were the most fashionable in the US. There are few boutiques that can compete with Ikram.

Anyway, I think cardigans look terrific on small frames. It's that whole geek chic Prada/Miu Miu look....

i looove men's cardigans! so much that i even buy them on occassion :shame: that dior homme jacket is divine, too bad it would be far too long on me and strain most unflatteringly over the hips..

I do love cardigans but have yet to find one I both love and can afford- lol! But if I did have an unlimited budget I'd get these cardiagans from Chanel-minus the nasty feminine belt in the second pic :yucky: (btw, the guy in the last pic is Karl's boyfriend lol)

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 55
mr. couturier, aren't you in college? I would have LOVED to go to school with you. I've always thought the fashionable people in Chicago were the most fashionable in the US. There are few boutiques that can compete with Ikram.

Anyway, I think cardigans look terrific on small frames. It's that whole geek chic Prada/Miu Miu look....

Believe it or not, I'm still in high school! Hahaha, I've gotten that a lot actually. Thank you, though! ;)
And I've been drooling over this Andrew Gn coat at Ikram ever since I saw it in the Demi Couture article in Vogue (even though it's too femme, even for me). Maybe I'll try on some cardigans sometime...I've never actually seen them on my body. And I really love Prada and Miu Miu.

Oh, and here are the pictures of my bag, like I promised. Forgive the bad photo quality. Since I no longer have a digital camera, my camera phone will have to do. It isn't too much to behold, but it suits me just fine. It gives a new meaning to "Business in front, party in the back!"

Attachments

• Prada.jpg
    Prada.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Prada0.jpg
    Prada0.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 53