Holy cow, my entire life is changing tomorrow!

Lives will do that, and sometimes you just can't talk them out of it.

Even when they are changes you wanted and chose, any one of those things is going to mean stress and psychic trauma. More than one, and you can send yourself hurtling down the fast track to a big basket unless you take time, even when there isn't any, and find a way, even when you have to make one out of no way, to do some serious intensive self-care.

That could mean a long bubble bath by candle-light, with some Mean Joe Green** on the CD player, as you ruin your eyes reading a lurid trashy novel (in paperback, so it won't matter when you get bubbles on it), or just you, a stack of Season One of the Beverly Hillbillies DVDs, and an entire devil's food cake, or channel your inner Sandy Cohen and have a sunrise surfing attack, take a quiet walk along a mountain trail, channel your inner creepy old dude and go sit on a park bench and throw suspicious-looking bits of granola at innocent pigeons, whatever activity soothes your mind, calms you down, keeps you centered, touches base with who you really are, refuels your spirit and leaves you feeling rested and renewed.

Congratulations and Good Luck! :smile:

** That is what we modern and ultra-cool people call Guiseppe Verdi

I feel like Im losing an arm......SNIFF...Jillybean is an amazing gal IRL..She can adapt to any place and make friends ANYWHERE!!!Seriously!
I can honestly say that NOONE I have ever met has had such a FAB effect on me and been such a sister.
Im envious of those VA gals that get to have her around them all the time!!!!
SO ...Good Luck SIS!!!
and stop worrying.....u navigated us around a foreign country (PARIS!)with no hesitation..VA will be a SNAP!
I swear Im teary eyed.....I miss ya already!

Best of luck! You've weathered many changes and come out on top, right? The fact that you're here, about to enter a PhD program, is evidence of that! Give yourself time, as Shimma so nicely put it, and you'll do so well. Good luck!!

I feel like Im losing an arm......SNIFF...Jillybean is an amazing gal IRL..She can adapt to any place and make friends ANYWHERE!!!Seriously!
I can honestly say that NOONE I have ever met has had such a FAB effect on me and been such a sister.
Im envious of those VA gals that get to have her around them all the time!!!!
SO ...Good Luck SIS!!!
and stop worrying.....u navigated us around a foreign country (PARIS!)with no hesitation..VA will be a SNAP!
I swear Im teary eyed.....I miss ya already!

awwww I'm going to miss you so much! I'm already scoping out stuff for the guest bedroom (Craig said no to a super cute pink shoe shower curtain for the guest bedroom-no fair!). You have to swear you'll visit soon!

As soon as I get my calendar from UVA, we'll plan our next vacation.

@Shimma- I stocked up on LUSH bath bombs and great books (if I have any time for fun reading) so that I can "escape" for a little while.

@Sweetlove, yep it's Russian. Good luck at your uni. If you have any plans to go to Russia next summer, let me know! I'll probably be there next summer, we'll have an international tPF meet up!

when I was 25, I went through the exact same thing. I moved 5 hours away from my folks for the first time, because of career. It was wonderful. I loved my parents to death but really I was like a butterfly coming out of cacoon. Relish this time in your life. Even when I was going through it I thought to myself - remember all this freedom - it is one of the best times of your life to grow.